Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Port Forwarding Problem with Ignite XB6 Modem

@Datalink wrote:

@Smiley1 @-G- can probably confirm this.  When you use the app or online controls (there is an online control capability correct ?), you lose control over certain functions directly thru the modem.  If you run a factory reset and never use the app or online control, you should then have full access to all of the functions shown in the modem's UI.  That's probably the quickest way to resolve the problem.  Just have to be prepared to set the modem up from scratch. 

Yes, that's my understanding as well.  A factory reset + redoing the initial setup will allow you to manage the XB6 again through the local web UI.  However, to maintain that configuration, you can no longer use the mobile app or the Ignite WiFi Hub... and that's not really an option for anybody who uses Ignite WiFi Pods.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Thank you so much for the suggestion. While it seems unfair that I have to go through that to restore settings (and I have a fear of the Pods no longer working once I do so) I could give it a try when convenient for the family. Thanks you.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

After some thought, I think I'd rather get my Ignite profile to recognize my CentOS Server as a device rather than reset the whole router to factory settings. Could you tell me how Rogers Ignite identifies devices and how I could get it to recognize my server device? This would solve my issue.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It seems to be dhcp based, so if its got a lease it should appear in the list.

I would also like to add my support to be allowed by our supreme overlords at rogers to create a port forward by typing an ip in.  This router/modem is garbage, I'd be a fibe user if it existed here, thanks to this modem. 

further: factory reset doesnt seem to work any more.  the ignite wifi app auto detected the modem restoring, and reset everythin exactly how it was.  

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ComCastNorth wrote:

further: factory reset doesnt seem to work any more.  the ignite wifi app auto detected the modem restoring, and reset everythin exactly how it was.  

@CommunityHelps  I have seen a few reports/complaints now where users have been unable to regain control of their XB6 once they start using the IgniteWiFi Hub app, even after they stop using it.  WHY?!?!?

(I understand that some tech-averse users might like their old config restored automagically after a modem swap but there are other cases where this is a REALLY bad thing to do.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

When people are done work I'll try again after uninstalling that app from my phone (good riddance imo), but my end game once I finish unpacking is bridge mode.  I just haven't found my edgerouter yet.  Why does rogers need to make everyone's life more difficult?  

there's a difference between good defaults, and just bad usability in software design.  I'm a programmer, whoever designed and approved this . needs to be fired.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

My experience is that uninstalling the app does not solve the problem.

Here is how I made Port Forwarding work.

1) Set the device to DCHP and connect

2) using the direct XB6 interface, find the device, click edit, and set the "Reserve IP" checkbox. Write Down the IP address

(In my experience, the XB6 will NOT show devices with FIXED IP addresses)

3) Move to the https://ignitewifi.rogers.com interface on a web browser

4) Select Connect>See Network>Advanced Settings>Port Forwarding and set your port forward.

I  fully realize that this is clunky and may force you to change other application settings. However, this was the only consistent way in which I could set and maintain port forwarding.

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

This just happened to me today.  I only logged into the website because the message appeared in my modem.  I'm about to reset my modem and restores this functionality.  This is unacceptable,  the "Web Site"/"App" is security flaw, plain and simple.  You should never have to leave your network to make changes to your local networking device.  I should seriously hope this is undone, and to note that there is such a thing as a man in the middle of attack and "if" unless rogers can "100%" prevent this.   I'm not sure how this fly's with the CRTC and risking customer information regarding the access to their customers network and thus private information.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

As an update, reseting the modem did not work.  Serious Rogers,  it was working just fine.  Why do you have to mess this up.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers, this page does not look and its a simple issue as to why. @CommunityHelps please escalate to L3 support.

Looking into the developer tools, multiple issues with the javascript used to commit this request.

First and most significant is a call to the following resource which returns an error. You can see this yourself if you hit F12 in any browser which opens a side by side window within the browser.

Error:  "Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()"

Target: https://gw.api.dh.comcast.com/xfispeedtest/api/gateway/speed_test/model/CGM4140COM/precheck

If you try to visit this URI directly you get this error as the result

Request Result:

{"type":"","title":"No authentication token was passed","status":403,"detail":"No valid authentication token was passed.","source":"XSP","code":"C-4-014","traceId":"b8dbbeb506dbce80"}

This error fails the preflight check which returns the following error:

Request URL: 

https://siorc.xfinity.com/account/{{{REMOVED}}}/configset/9e0db4b1-59e0-4d05-87f2-80c82dcd8df2/group/portForwarding/create/?gatewayMacAddress={{{MAC REMOVED}}}&signature={{{SIGNATURE REMOVED}}}

Response:

_type: "Xfinity/Internet/si/error",…}
code: "500"
errnum: "500-020"
message: "Failed to write port forwarding rules because firmware is not supported: configSetId=9e0db4b1-59e0-4d05-87f2-80c82dcd8df2"
path: "./"
_links: {help: {href: "http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet"},…}
_type: "Xfinity/Internet/si/error"

This is a pretty easy fix, supply the correct API token in the first request....