Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Permanence of WAN IP addresses and names

RB42
I've been here awhile

I can access my home network from elsewhere via either of these:

CPEa45XXXXXX9ad-CMa45XXXXXX9ab.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com

99.251.###.###

Are either or both of these guaranteed to continue to work, or can they arbitrarily change at any time?

(Note that the two XXXXXXs are identical.)

*Added Labels*

2 REPLIES 2

Re: Permanence of WAN IP addresses and names

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
it Can Change, your getting a Dynamic WAN IP Address, but just because you were assigned the same one for a long time do not get comfortable with it, it can and has changed, what you need is a Dyn DNS. basically you need a static hostname that the IP address will change and re-direct to what ever your current IP becomes. DynDNS is the name of the service but theres lots of providers out there who offer such service, i had one back in the day, most modems support the config ,otherwise a quick script on your laptop or desktop will update the Hostname to your new IP.

Re: Permanence of WAN IP addresses and names

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is what I do.

I used to use DYNDNS until they started charging 😞
I am using No-ip.   Its basic service is free, but if your IP doesnt change within a month and isnt updated to something new, it will notify you that it will be removed unless renewed... I get an email, do the quick renewal.

I have a small webserver running at home.  I have a registered domain, but I point that do the dynamic services address.  Then just update it.

Topic Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 in conversation