Periodically slow internet speed with Hitron CGN2 with flashing yellow-green wifi light

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Periodically slow internet speed with Hitron CGN2 with flashing yellow-green wifi light

This is my modem with the flashing yellow-green modem lights.

Is this normal?

I don't think so, because when I tried powerlining to fix my internet speed, I noticed that one of the ports where I connected my powerline adapters was glowing solid blue, not flashing yellow-green like my other lights.

What are my options? I'm not exactly familiar with modems, and I don't want to muck everything up.

Please help. I put my modem upstairs because that is where my father sleeps, his computer isn't wireless-ready, and his USB wireless adapter is not good This has been going on with my old modem for years, and now it's happening with the new modem, too.

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

cindybubbles

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Periodically slow internet speed with Hitron CGN2 with flashing yellow-green wifi light

My sister and brother-in-law came and fixed it. They discovered that I had enabled guest WiFi, and that made the signal worse, so we disabled it.

Also, they brought and set up an external wireless router, connected it to the modem through an Ethernet cable, disabled the built-in wireless router that came with the modem, and then set up a new network that works better now.

Thanks for all your help!

cindybubbles

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Re: Periodically slow internet speed with Hitron CGN2 with flashing yellow-green wifi light

Welcome to the Community @cindybubbles

I am unable to see the picture, but it is normal behavior for the modem lights to be flashing.

Can you provide us with some more details on the speeds issue? If you are having a speed issue adding a powerline would not resolve this. The powerline would have even more degraded connection as the modem is not functioning at an optimal level.

Also was the modem move done by a Rogers technician? This is important as there are tests that need to be done so we can ensure the modem is getting adequate signal.

Feel free to chime in Community!

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My modem is upstairs; my computer is downstairs. As a result, the signal is weaker. I also have cordless landline phones; perhaps they are contributing to the interference issue.

The old modem was done by a Rogers technician. I obtained and installed the new modem myself yesterday. Both were experiencing the same issues.

Is it normal for the modem's lights to keep flashing a yellow-green colour, though, and not glow or flash blue?

Please help.

Sincerely,

cindybubbles

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you look at the back of the modem, you should see a product sticker that should read, CGN2, CGN3, CGN3ACR, or CGN3ACSMR.  If you could let us know which model you have it would help.

The CGN2 looks like this:

http://www.rogers.com/cms/support/images/Internet/178---Step-0.jpg

The CGN3, CGN3ACR, and CGN3ACSMR look like this:

http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3/

I suspect that you have one of these.

Here is a link to the user manual for the CGN3 which has a description of the front LEDs.

https://www.midco.com/contentassets/87322b7ed6b04cabb102fe22607bc4d1/hitron-modem-user-guide-cgn3-re...

Those LEDs will be the same for all of the CGN3 models.

Edit:

The front LEDs are as follows when in normal operation, as indicated on page 19 of the manual:

Top power Led:  On:  The CGN3 is receiving power.
2nd LED:  Solid Blue:  The CGN3 is engaged in channel bonding on the downstream connection.
3rd LED:  Solid Blue:  The CGN3 is engaged in channel bonding on the upstream connection.
@ sign:   Solid Green:  The CGN3’s cable modem has successfully registered with the service provider

and is ready for data transfer.
Bottom LED flashing Green:  There is a firmware bug that might cause the colour to indicate incorrectly.  For a connection to an active  gigabit ethernet device the LED should be flashing blue.  Instead its a green colour.  For a connection to an active 100 Mb/s device the LED should be flashing green.  In both cases, the flashing LED indicates that the connected device is transmitting and receiving data.  A solid colour LED would indicate that there is at least one device connected to one of the LAN ports, but no data transmission or reception is taking place.

Fwiw, the CGN3 series modems don't have a reputation for stellar wifi performance, so that is something to keep in mind.  There is a new generation of powerline adapters on the market now which uses all three wires of the house electrical wiring in various pairs to achieve higher data throughput compared to the previous generation of single wire pair adapters.  Here's a review:

http://www.techhive.com/article/2868314/home-networking/the-essential-guide-to-buying-a-homeplug-eth...

The usb wifi adapter could be updated to something like this:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/USBAC56/

The top antenna part can be detached.  That is the latest generation 802.11ac wifi adapter, which, if paired with the CGN3ACSMR modmem should yield rock solid wifi performance for your dad.

In terms of the actual modem performance at this point, if you could log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread, we can check the signal levels on those tables to see if there are any problems.  The copy and paste will paste in the text components of the tables, so you don't have to paste in an image.  That makes the copy and paste process fairly painless.  With the signal levels on hand, we can determine if a tech visit is required. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I have a CGN2 modem. We also use a multi-way splitter because we have two TVs that need cable, too.

Please help. Powerlining doesn't work for me because the rooms where I put the adapters seem to be wired differently.

Sincerely,

cindybubbles
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Would a wifi signal booster or range extender help?

Thanks,

cindybubbles

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @cindybubbles

As @Datalink has mentioned, log into the modem & navigate to the STATUS.... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into the thread. This will help us assess the issue.

If you need help accessing your modem, please review this page here. I've also sent you a Private Message from @CommunityHelps incase you need further assistance. To review your inbox, please visit this link

http://bit.ly/YourInbox

RogersAsif

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I would suggest replacing the powerline adapters with newer Homeplug AV2 adapters.  That should result in

an increase in the data rate thru the powerline adapters.  The Homeplug AV2 adapters are a new generation

of powerline adapters which will use all three of the lines, line, neutral and ground lines, for the purpose of

running data between the adapters.  The older generation only uses the line and neutral pair for data purposes. 

From there I would connect to a router so that you have good wifi coverage downstairs if that is what you need

and want to achieve. 

The problem with using a wifi extender is that you're starting with a wifi signal that probably isn't great in the first place, and trying to extend that.  I would think that an AV2 powerline adapter with a low cost router would give you better performance. 

The perfect solution for what you need doesn't appear to be out yet, and that is a Homeplug AV2 powerline adapter set with one end running an 802.11ac wifi transmitter.  Netgear has a close product but that isn't a fully capable Homeplug AV2 adapter.  Soon, but not soon enough I think, which leads into a separate Homeplug AV2 adapter set with a router.  Of course it all depends on the budget......

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks, but I also have another problem now. I can't log into the modem. I've tried cusadmin as the username and password as the password, and even used password1, but to no avail, so I can't get you the info that you need.

Please help. I'd like to be able to log on so that I can give you any necessary info.

Thanks,

cindybubbles

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Easiest thing to do is call tech support and ask the CSR to reset the password for you and at the same time check the signal levels on the modem.  You could also respond to the private message from @RogersAsif and let him check the signal levels for you and reset the password.  That would probably be a better idea as he has read thru your posts and will have a better idea of what is going on, and should be in a better position to help out.