Parental Controls: Do I NEED to buy another Router, or is there an app for that?
Greetings: Here is my situation in point form:
- 3 boys aged 13, 9, 7. All use various devices that access WiFi - trying to control and limit access
- existing parental control features - ROGERS / Hitron do not meet our needs - control is extremely limited
- want to shut off WiFi access to certain devices at certain times, but not at the same time every day. For example, Mon-Thurs, WiFi access after school from 3PM-7PM, Fri-Sat access only after 9AM-8PM, Sun - 9AM-7PM
- would like the ability to shut certain devices off if I am not at home connected to WiFi (not mandatory but useful)
- would like to avoid purchasing and/or bridging new hardware (router) if possible
- recently upgraded to the CODA-4582 modem, as I was told it would allow us access to the My WiFi app that would take care of all our parental control needs easily. Not so.
- have spent over 5+ hours on the phone, or online in chats with no current solution and am fed up. I need advice.
Can I do what I am hoping to do using my existing router and Hi-Tron Technology (e.g., Security >> Keyword Filters >> Add Trusted Device >> Block Times) as suggested by one ROGERS employee? Or is there a third party APP available that can perform these tasks better than the ROGERS My WiFi App does?
ANYONE who has a good, inexpensive solution that is easy to understand/implement, I am hoping to hear from you.
What have other parents done? Surely I can't be alone here - I can't possibly be the only one who's not happy with the limitations of the Parental Control options provided by ROGERS.
Looking forward to some replies. Thanks in advance.
Re: Parental Controls: Do I NEED to buy another Router, or is there an app for that?
Can you clarify what you mean by “unsupported?” The reason I did not take the advice (e.g., Security >> Keyword Filters >> Add Trusted Device >> Block Times) is because when I hit the HELP button on the Hitron interface to see what those steps were actually going to do, it said (in butchered English) that it would block sites using the keywords entered for the times selected, but it did not mention anything about how these keywords would help me block the devices from accessing the internet. The HELP buttons in the Hitron interface are, ironically, not very helpful.
I can certainly clarify for you! What RogersZia meant by unsupported is that our Technical Support team wouldn't be able to directly help you with the advanced features of your Gateway. The MyWifi App would be the best solution as the settings within the Gateway would be limited on in regards to what you're trying to accomplish.
Does any other Community members have experience with what jjwalker13 is trying to accomplish and have any suggestions?