Pairing non-rogers smart lightbulbs with Smarthome Monitoring system

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Pairing non-rogers smart lightbulbs with Smarthome Monitoring system

The Ikea bulbs despite using the same tech format as Rogers - are seen by the system but can't be paired as being 'unsupported'

Hello @User105,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

I know how important it is to ensure you buy equipment that is compatible with your Smart Home Monitoring System.

Only equipment purchased from Rogers is compatible with the Smart Home Monitoring system and we cannot guarantee any Third Party Devices will be recognized by the system. To ensure you are purchasing compatible equipment please only purchase hardware for your system by clicking here.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony 

I'm Here A Lot

@RogersTony that comment doesn't help at all.  All it does is reaffirm the poor decision by Rogers to lock out compatible hardware by treating it as 'unsupported'.

Yes we all know we can buy expensive equipment from Rogers.  The lightbulbs from Rogers work great but are too expensive to use in every room.  I tested one Ikea lightbulb as a test since I knew for a fact it is technically compatible and half the price of the Rogers equivalent. I posted to let others know not to get excited.

The hope was that we could use cheaper products using the same ZigBee system as Rogers.  They are designed to be compatible and are in fact seen by the system.  They only do not pair because of a business decision to lock out non-Rogers products as 'unsupported'.

No one is asking Rogers to guarantee third-party products.  That is a risk many are willing to take to save money.  What would help is Rogers not locking us out of using third-party products that are fully compatible or partnering with providers like Ikea that are trying to bring the costs down and really encourage whole home adoption.

The technology is great and the system has so much potential.  It's a shame to see to Rogers take such a myopic view in search of short term profits.

I've Been Around

Excellent reply.  I agree 100%.  Rogers system has great potential, only seem to limit themselves and their users by locking the system.  The variety of third party options far exceeds Rogers supply, however we are limited by their self serving rules.

And this is keeping in mind that I like my system and its functionality.  Just too bad I can't make it even better.

Maybe they will listen someday...