Packet Loss / Issues Playing Online Games

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Packet Loss / Issues Playing Online Games

@stepy2015  does the external cable run underground or overhead from a utility pole?

If the cable runs underground and the tech has a Time-Domain Reflectometer (TDR) with him, he can check/measure the cable run length from both ends of the cable, looking for an electrical discontinuity in the cable.  The cable should measure the same length from end to end when measured from both ends with a TDR.  If the measurements are't equal and of sufficient length, then the sum of the two measured lengths should approximate the total length of the cable.  That's a pretty obvious sign that the cable is unserviceable.  So, if one end measured 10 feet, and the other end measured 30 feet, instead of 40 feet from both ends, then the cable is unserviceable, and the cable break occurs at the measured length from both ends of the cable.  There is also the possibility that the cable is failing in more than one location. 

The other way to check it is with a simple ohm meter, looking for anything less than an open circuit condition, which would be observed if the cable was new or at least in good shape.  If the cable has water ingress, then the result will be a short circuit, once again, indicating that the cable is unserviceable. 

If the cable runs overhead to a utility pole, that could be a problem as the contractor tech might not be qualified for utility pole installations and equipment.  If all the tech does is replace the cable connector in the external cable box, then you will probably run into the same problem after he leaves.  Call in once again, and let tech support know that replacing the cable connector didn't solve the problem.  Time for round two with a tech who happens to be qualified for utility pole installations.  Thats the only way that an overhead cable will be replaced. 

I Plan to Stick Around

The cable is underground but what I don't understand is that no matter the issue every time a tech comes to our house it seems they are always replacing the connectors and they usually don't explain much as to why they replaced the connectors. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Replacing the connector gets rid of any corrosion at the connector and any oxidation of the centre copper conductor.  So, cutting off the old connector and replacing it should result in a good metal to metal connection with the connecting equipment.  If you're cable is 20 years old, then its most likely due for replacement.  Our first underground cable lasted 10 years, the next only 2 years.  So the life span is variable, for whatever reason.  This would be much simpler if the cable just died once and for all.  I'd keep any eye on any packet losses you see in ping tests to the Rogers DNS  64.71.255.204.  

If the connectors were replaced not too long ago, advise the tech.  Maybe that will encourage him to check the cable 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

This is odd 

EDIT: I believe this is not related to my issue since I just had a friend ping the IP who is not on rogers and he gets the same result, also I do not use rogers DNS

ping test.jpg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That's not an acceptable result.  You should be seeing less than 1% loss, I'd say less than 0.1% should be the norm.

If you ping a DNS that isn't specifically your ISP DNS, there's a good chance that you'll be locked out, or that you might see less than optimal results.   

In that case, ping something like google, or opendns, Quad 9, etc, etc.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah no packet loss YET on 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

I Plan to Stick Around

So we had a tech over and he found a splitter splitting off the cable coming into our home that I didn't even know was there. He removed that and said he replaced the connectors on the cable outside at the box before coming in. The signal to my modem is much better as before it was between -5 and -6 now it is between 0.100 and -2.500 so far no packet loss. however yesterday the signal to the modem was even better between 0.100 and -1.400

I've Been Here Awhile

Packet Loss every 2-3 minutes, 24/7, seen when Live Streaming League of Legends

I am at wits end. I have been experiencing packet loss for over 6+ months now, and I've had multiple Rogers techs over [going on 2 Senior techs now] to try and fix the problem and nothing is working.

I get packet loss to the 2nd & 3rd hop [determined by a ping test] every 2-3 minutes, 24/7. I stream on Twitch, playing League of Legends, and this few second packet loss is enough to make me lose a skill shot or get me killed in game -- furthermore, it is enough for my stream to go to the BRB screen, before coming back super pixelated and just unviewable for a minute or so.

This is what the ping test on my mac, for Hop 2, looks like when the packet loss hits:

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23830 ttl=63 time=38.456 ms

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23831 ttl=63 time=9.163 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23832

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23833

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23834 ttl=63 time=9.296 ms

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23835 ttl=63 time=8.262 ms

This is the visual proof of what happens when the packet loss hits: https://www.twitch.tv/secondtononeee/clip/RichHappyFinchBatChest?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

Please help me with this issue. I am literally going insane...I just want this problem fixed...

Hello @skywalkerlover,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your first post! 😁

I see that you've already received some assistance via PM and that a Senior Tech should be in touch with you soon to set up an appointment. Please keep us updated on how that goes! 👍

RogersLaura

I've Been Here Awhile

Having the same issue. Had a tech say they were "doing work in the area" and it should "even out", and a week later the problem persists. Chat and phone support have no idea what the tech was talking about. What a great experience.