cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Packet Loss / Issues Playing Online Games

Kiwisz
I've been here awhile

Hi,

Recently I've been having a lot of issues lately with bad lag trying to play multiple online games and after digging into some of @Datalink 's old posts I have tried to run a couple of 10 minute tests while trying to play a game in an attempt to isolate the issue (btw Datalink, thank you for all of your explanations, it really helped). Due to a similar packet loss issue a few months ago caused by bad SNR in my area that I was trying to investigate, I no longer have a pro trial for Pingplotter. That issue was supposed to have been resolved and hasn't bothered me for a few months now but I have pasted my modem's DOCSIS WAN page below in case someone is able to see something I'm not.

Pinging my modem:
PingPlotter_2019-12-28_16-08-12.png

Pinging my CMTS:
PingPlotter_2019-12-28_15-47-22.png

Pinging a Rogers DNS servers:
PingPlotter_2019-12-28_15-57-49.png

For good measure, a Command prompt ping test to the CMTS:
Ping statistics for 99.247.54.1:
Packets: Sent = 523, Received = 503, Lost = 20 (3% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 7ms, Maximum = 96ms, Average = 15ms

DOCSIS WAN:
2019-12-28_16-17-39.png

Unlike with my previous SNR issue, this time when I call Rogers tech support they aren't able to see any of this packet loss on their end, all of their tests come back normal. They opened a ticket with the backend team but they just closed my ticket a few hours later saying they were unable to find anything wrong. The other strange thing is sometimes if I pull the plug on my modem, wait a few seconds and plug it back in, the issue seems to go away for a few hours. I have tried to replace my modem and this still happens (CODA-4582U software ver 2.0.10.36T6). Of course this time when I tried it so I could document it with a ping test, it didn't work and I kept experiencing the same issues in game.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give on how I could isolate this issue any further and what I need to get Rogers to do to help see this issue from their end so it can be fixed.

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

35 REPLIES 35

Re: Packet Loss / Issues Playing Online Games

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Kiwisz simply put, you have a packet loss problem.  Does that come as a surprise?  Probably not.  Ok, two possible paths here:

1.  Call tech support again, and again, and ...... to complain about the packet loss.  Make sure that the complaint is recorded on file.  Ask the tech rep what he or she intends to do about it.  Ask the tech rep to run a ping test, ping the modem from the CMTS, or, ping the CMTS from the modem.  The tech rep should know how to do this.  That test, run by the tech rep should prove that there's an issue afoot, most likely your external cable or connectors are failing.  Time for a tech visit to determine what the problem is.  If the tech does nothing, make sure the complaint is recorded and call back the next day, once again to record a complaint about packet loss.  Call every day until a tech is dispatched.  Really, it shouldn't be this difficult to see a tech visit occur to resolve a problem. 

2.  If tech support continues to ignore you, send a message to the moderators at @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link when you're logged into the forum as it will take you to their public page.  Further down the page is a link to "Send this user a private message".  Follow that link to the message composition page.  Fill in the subject line and the details and hit send, at the bottom.  When you're logged into the forum, look for a number overlaying your avatar in the upper right hand corner.  Follow that avatar (which serves as a link to your profile), down to the message inbox to see the response.  One of the moderators will or should respond to your message and hopefully arrange for a tech visit to determine what the problem is.  

Fwiw, your signal levels are ok.  The downstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels (1 to 32) look ok, the OFDM channel doesn't have enough data to determine if the OFDM channel is ok, and the upstream DOCSIS 3.1 channels are a little higher than normal for this modem but well within spec.  Typically this modem runs around 30 to 32/33 dBmV on the upstream side.  So, if the tech rep runs a signal check, and specifically looks at the OFDM channel, determining that all is well, the packet loss is a separate issue which can only show up with some type of traffic test thru the external cable system, ergo, a ping test run by the tech rep.  Your command line ping test to the CMTS confirms that there is a problem between the modem and the CMTS, resulting in disonnects/reconnects and subsequent packet loss.

Ask the tech rep to check the CMTS logs, looking for the disconnect / reconnect records.  That should show that there is a problem as there should be hundreds of disconnect/reconnect evens recorded every day.  Under normal circumstances, that number should probably be a handful of events per day, if that.

Kiwisz
I've been here awhile

Hi @Datalink

Thanks for the reply. It seems like my modem reboot from earlier did actually temporarily fix the issue, if I ping the CMTS right now I don't get any packet loss. There's still some if I ping the Rogers DNS but playing games is fine for now. I'm sure it will come back though as it's done this in the past. I'll call tech support again once it reoccurs so there's something for them to see.

Thanks

@Kiwisz a modem reboot will usually solve the problem, temporarily, but, it doesn't resolve the underlying cause, which is a failing cable and/or connector.  The fact that the reboot does offer some temporary relief really indicates that you do have an external cable and/or connector problem.  The external RG-6 cables and their connectors don't last forever, and, every once in a while have to be replaced.  The point in time where the cable and/or connector is dying is usually pretty frustrating.  It would be much simpler and quicker if the component in question simply died, once and for all.  It would be pretty easy and much quicker to find the problem component if that happened.  When your at the point of calling tech support, don't reboot the modem until possibly after the call.  Let tech support see the problem, if the tech rep decides to go down that path.  

lethalsniper
I'm an enthusiast
How come you have 4 upload channels I only have 3 .. I have the same modem and same firmware ?

Kiwisz
I've been here awhile

@lethalsniper which speed package do you have? I'm on the gigabit package which has 30mbps upload, that's the only reason I could think of for the difference.

I’m on the 1gb and 30 upload

donutz1
I've been around
I'm also experiencing packet loss and frequent rubber banding in online games.

Good evening @donutz1 and welcome to the Community :)!

Have you had a chance to speak to tech support about your Internet service. Have you had a tech out to your house for this issue? 

Please reach out to us via PM @CommunityHelps and we'll be happy to assist you. To learn more about our Private Messaging system, you can visit here.

RogersZia

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

I have been having the same issue since Christmas Day and I can confirm a reboot fixes it temporarily but I think @Datalink is right. I believe the only way for this to be fixed is to replace the cable. I had a rogers tech ping my modem and he saw packet loss despite my signal being good so he has scheduled for tomorrow and hopefully they will solve the issue. However when we have had this issue in the past all they do is put new ends on the cable and replace our modem. The cable coming into our home is at least 20+ years old I wish they would just replace it. I'd really like it if they were to start rolling out fiber to the home but who knows when that is going to happen. Today the internet when't out from 9:50 AM and only came back after a reboot of the modem

@stepy2015  does the external cable run underground or overhead from a utility pole?

If the cable runs underground and the tech has a Time-Domain Reflectometer (TDR) with him, he can check/measure the cable run length from both ends of the cable, looking for an electrical discontinuity in the cable.  The cable should measure the same length from end to end when measured from both ends with a TDR.  If the measurements are't equal and of sufficient length, then the sum of the two measured lengths should approximate the total length of the cable.  That's a pretty obvious sign that the cable is unserviceable.  So, if one end measured 10 feet, and the other end measured 30 feet, instead of 40 feet from both ends, then the cable is unserviceable, and the cable break occurs at the measured length from both ends of the cable.  There is also the possibility that the cable is failing in more than one location. 

The other way to check it is with a simple ohm meter, looking for anything less than an open circuit condition, which would be observed if the cable was new or at least in good shape.  If the cable has water ingress, then the result will be a short circuit, once again, indicating that the cable is unserviceable. 

If the cable runs overhead to a utility pole, that could be a problem as the contractor tech might not be qualified for utility pole installations and equipment.  If all the tech does is replace the cable connector in the external cable box, then you will probably run into the same problem after he leaves.  Call in once again, and let tech support know that replacing the cable connector didn't solve the problem.  Time for round two with a tech who happens to be qualified for utility pole installations.  Thats the only way that an overhead cable will be replaced. 

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

The cable is underground but what I don't understand is that no matter the issue every time a tech comes to our house it seems they are always replacing the connectors and they usually don't explain much as to why they replaced the connectors. 

Replacing the connector gets rid of any corrosion at the connector and any oxidation of the centre copper conductor.  So, cutting off the old connector and replacing it should result in a good metal to metal connection with the connecting equipment.  If you're cable is 20 years old, then its most likely due for replacement.  Our first underground cable lasted 10 years, the next only 2 years.  So the life span is variable, for whatever reason.  This would be much simpler if the cable just died once and for all.  I'd keep any eye on any packet losses you see in ping tests to the Rogers DNS  64.71.255.204.  

If the connectors were replaced not too long ago, advise the tech.  Maybe that will encourage him to check the cable 🙂

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

This is odd 

EDIT: I believe this is not related to my issue since I just had a friend ping the IP who is not on rogers and he gets the same result, also I do not use rogers DNS

ping test.jpg

That's not an acceptable result.  You should be seeing less than 1% loss, I'd say less than 0.1% should be the norm.

If you ping a DNS that isn't specifically your ISP DNS, there's a good chance that you'll be locked out, or that you might see less than optimal results.   

In that case, ping something like google, or opendns, Quad 9, etc, etc.  

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

Yeah no packet loss YET on 8.8.8.8 or 1.1.1.1

stepy2015
I plan to stick around

So we had a tech over and he found a splitter splitting off the cable coming into our home that I didn't even know was there. He removed that and said he replaced the connectors on the cable outside at the box before coming in. The signal to my modem is much better as before it was between -5 and -6 now it is between 0.100 and -2.500 so far no packet loss. however yesterday the signal to the modem was even better between 0.100 and -1.400

Packet Loss every 2-3 minutes, 24/7, seen when Live Streaming League of Legends

I am at wits end. I have been experiencing packet loss for over 6+ months now, and I've had multiple Rogers techs over [going on 2 Senior techs now] to try and fix the problem and nothing is working.

I get packet loss to the 2nd & 3rd hop [determined by a ping test] every 2-3 minutes, 24/7. I stream on Twitch, playing League of Legends, and this few second packet loss is enough to make me lose a skill shot or get me killed in game -- furthermore, it is enough for my stream to go to the BRB screen, before coming back super pixelated and just unviewable for a minute or so.

This is what the ping test on my mac, for Hop 2, looks like when the packet loss hits:

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23830 ttl=63 time=38.456 ms

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23831 ttl=63 time=9.163 ms

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23832

Request timeout for icmp_seq 23833

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23834 ttl=63 time=9.296 ms

64 bytes from 99.238.154.1: icmp_seq=23835 ttl=63 time=8.262 ms

This is the visual proof of what happens when the packet loss hits: https://www.twitch.tv/secondtononeee/clip/RichHappyFinchBatChest?filter=clips&range=all&sort=time

Please help me with this issue. I am literally going insane...I just want this problem fixed...

Hello @skywalkerlover,

A warm welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your first post! 😁

I see that you've already received some assistance via PM and that a Senior Tech should be in touch with you soon to set up an appointment. Please keep us updated on how that goes! 👍

RogersLaura

herrshaun
I plan to stick around

Having the same issue. Had a tech say they were "doing work in the area" and it should "even out", and a week later the problem persists. Chat and phone support have no idea what the tech was talking about. What a great experience.

Greetings @herrshaun! Welcome to our Community!

If you should be experiencing any latency while gaming, you've come to the right place. I would like to investigate this matter for you further. Please PM us @CommunityHelps so that I may further assist.

If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

Topic Stats