Packet Loss - Evening Hours - Courtice

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Packet Loss - Evening Hours - Courtice

So... Looking for suggestions...

I have been a rogers highspeed customer for about 2 months now (not sure on exact date). Since the day of the install it has been nothing but problems. Big first issue is I was sold 250U with 20MB upload. My neighbourhood is only capable of 10MB up. This is not what I was sold and was one of the main reasons I switched. After several calls I was given a few dollars off a month for 6 months.  

Since then the internet has been unusable during the evening hours. I started troubleshooting by putting the Hitron back in router mode and removing my router, turning off wifi and unpluggin everything from the modem but my main PC. Still sucks! So I start running some continious pings and noticed 10 - 20% packet loss during the evenings. 

Another call to rogers. Tech was dispatched (Super nice, helpful and following up!). He pushed the issue to Maintenance. Was told they were out and fixed it however no change on my end. Another call to rogers and I am told it is going to engineering. A week passes by with no updates and another call to support and I am told its being escallated. A couple days Later I get an automated call that the problem is resolved. That night back to packet loss again and another call to support where I am told 48 hours to start looking at the issue.  That was yesterday.

As it sits I cannot use the internet in the evening hours. My VOIP phone line is unusable. Online games cannot be played. Netflix buffers, then stalls and errors out. Even browsing webpages is tedious as many will take several reloads to display. I work from home many evenings and now I have to use a wifi hotspot to connect to my VPN.

Is this normal with Rogers? As I said I am new to them after a hiatous of 4 or 5 years. I cannot believe how poorly this is being handled. I have wasted easily 5 - 6 hours on the phone and on hold. I am paying monthly for something that is entirely unusable when I can actually sit down to use it. 

Am I missing something? Rogers acknowledges it's noise at the node. How long do I have to wait for this to be fixed? Am I being unreasonable?

I found a tool last night call PingPlotter. It seems to show things very well. I have had it up and running for the past 24 hours. Have a look, any of the redbars are packet loss. There are 5 pings running to 5 differnt IPs/sites. 

16 DEC - Evening 24 hours.PNG

For further review here is the signal info from the modem

Modem-levels.PNG

Sorry for venting. But I am ready to leave. Rogers has way better download speed in my neighbourhood but at lease Bells internet works.  Hopefully someone reads this and can provide some direction, advice or kick someone to get this fixed!

Many thanks in advance!

Mike 

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Packet Loss - Evening Hours - Courtice

Well folks I thought I would throw a final update..  

Through the Office of the President I can now say that my internet is now working fully. 

Here you can see the current ping plotter results from the last 7 days. There are no spikes or jumps. Have a look at the previous ones that I have posted and the large spikes in latency that was taking place. Also note that Googles DNS servers were experiencing some packet loss un related to my issues.

PingPlotter Summary 2016-05-12 1432.png

In general I am happy with where I am today. I was really hoping that during the repairs of this I would end up being upgraded to 20MB upload but I am still stuck at 10MB.  All said I am happy to be where I am, but looking forward to further upgrades in the future.

Thanks to the OOP and to the In House Rogers Techs that helped get this resolved. The in House Tech went well above and beyond what I could or would expect from them to push things along.

Many thanks

Mike

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Same problem here. I'm in Courtice aswell, south of Bloor.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a question.

The signal levels posted there.. is that durring a GOOD time, or a BAD time?

Unfortunately this is a maintenance issue..  Its something at your local node.. or something in that general area.  One of the feed lines, street lines, etc.

We had a similar thing a number of years ago.. ended up being one of the lines was flakey on the main street for the subdivision.  Durring day time? Was fine.  Night time, when there was a HEAVY load in the neibourhood?  Problems.  It didnt exibit the problems until under heavy load.

Should/is this par for the course for Rogers?  No, it shouldnt be.
Not to say it doesnt happen.
But, under good conditions, that hardware/lines are not broken, that signals are good, NO, it should not happen.
While i am not on the 250 plan (not available in my area at all), i am on the 100u plan... i am able to pretty much close to max out my internet connection, watch TV, and receive a Rogers Home Phone call all at the same time... since all the issues here were fixed.

Really the only way i had it resolved?  Call in EVERY night i had issues.  Schedule a tech out (evening so i wasnt inconvenienced from work).  They couldnt do much, and forwarded to maintenance.  If happened again before tech visit? Call in again, have them just add to account.  Happen again after tech out? Call in again schedule another tech.  Enough tech visits out.. they are going to be wasting money and hopefully gets maintenance really looking at the issue.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Loader,

I am in the same area.. Have you reported to Rogers? The more people to complain the more likely we are to get this fixed in a timely fashion. Last night was really bad.... 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Gdkitty,

Those levels were last night during the peak of the worst of it.  Here are levels right now as it is running fine

Capture3.PNG

I just wish Rogers was more pro-active in dealing with this. Closing tickets as resolved, no followup calls. The only saving grace in all of this was the Rogers Tech who seems keen to help get it resolved even if its out of his hands.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, those signal levels are pretty good.. nothing that should be giving you the issues your having.

More than likely.. is something down the line at the local node 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Regular

yet another network problem... all you can do is escalate to supervisors, the management office and the president's office

if you need unlimited, lower your plan to ignite 100u until the problem is resolved, otherwise go with a lower package like 60 or lower and add on unlimited if you need it

unrelated to the network issue, if you have an AC Hitron, you may need a firmware update... otherwise swap for an original CGN3ROG... the AC model gave me nothing but grief on 2.4GHZ wifi... couldn't get more than 30

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I had an outage yesterday afternoon for about 30 minutes or so. Not sure if it was related to my issues or just an outage. Anyways last night was a better night. Only 1% packet loss with pings spiking to 200-250ms. Having said that the issue is speratic and not every night. Some nights good, some nights bad. Just having way more bad then good the last couple weeks. 

I guess I will continue to monitor and see how things go over the weekend.

Thanks for the feedback folks...

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Back on the line with Rogers... 

Its better but still hitting a 1 - 2% packet loss almost all the time now. Pings are much better over all though not spiking over abou 120 - 150 for most sites (8.8.8.8, rogers.com, akamai.com etc). The jitter is terrible though. Just tried to play Rocket League with my son and its aweful. Browsing is working better (no reloading), neflix now works. My VOIP phone is still not great though.

I think the upsteam numbers are out of whack now... I have a 6DB pad on the line right now.

Capture4.PNG

Thoughts?

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Good Afternoon @User2500,

We have recently dispatched technicians to perform maintenance in your area to help resolve the internet issues you are having.

Have you noticed a difference in the service? Is everything working well for you now?

Let us know!

@RogersGabrielle