PS4 and Media streaming

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

PS4 and Media streaming

I recently switched over to Rogers. I used to be on bell. So since switching I have major issues with using media streaming from my windows 10 laptop to my PS4. I have cleared off all of the old internet connections, but not have made any other changes to my laptop or PS4. I will be streaming fine and watching something off my laptop on the PS4, when all of a sudden it disconnects. I a still connected to the internet on my PS4 and other devices. The only thing effected is my media streaming. This happens roughly after 20 minutes of watching something. The only fix for this is to unplug the modem/router and plug it back in. Then turning off the PS4 and starting it again. I never had this issue with bell. Sure occasionally I'd have issues but maybe once a month and its was just time to reboot things. If anyone has a solution to this please help.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: PS4 and Media streaming

My suggestion would be to only use a device for that which it is designed specifically for.  In this case, two wired devices on the same network need to talk to each other - that would be an ethernet switch.  Some can be had for less than $30;

https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ethernet+switch

Others may recommend you run your own all-in-one Router/Firewall/DHCP server/Wireless Access Point/Ethernet Switch, and put the internet modem in bridge mode.

It's like buying tools - you can buy a tool that does a bunch of things well, or you can buy a specific tool for a specific job that it is designed for.  Or, like Steam Whistle: "Do one thing really, really well"

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

How are these devices connected to the gateway, WiFi or ethernet? also which Rogers gateway are you using? the new White CODA modem? 

I would suggest using a lan cable instead of wifi, could be a poor/weak signal from the gateway causing the problem.

I've Been Here Awhile

All my devices are hooked up to the modem wirelesly. I am using the Hitron CGN3AMR. I know it has nothing to do with single strength as I can tell. I use it to stream netflix on my ps4 with no issues, and use my laptop not wired with no issues. The issues is between things communicating to each other. It is when I am trying to use the device to stream content from my laptop via media player on the PS4 that I have issues. Also it has a hard time with my wireless printer. When the printer is on and I can see the wifi single is strong, I don't have connection between my computer and the printer, but each device is connected to the modem. Most of it is for sure not single as the devices are within a few feet of eachother and the modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheDoctor80 If you are on an Ignite 100u, 250u, or Gigabit plan you can swap to the new CODA 4582 Modem. I would try swapping to the new modem and see if that helps. Some people have had issues with the modem, but with the latest network wide release firmware (.24) it is very stable. 

I've Been Here Awhile

It's all fixed. I finally talked to a knowledgeable technician. After a few attempts they told me to swap the modem and it's all fixed.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@TheDoctor80 Glad it's all fixed! I had a feeling it was a hardware issue, which is why I suggested swapping the modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats actually not a hardware issue.  Its a firmware issue where it doesn't support services such as Apples Bonjour service, or Airprint or other wifi printing standards.  The alternative plan would have been to load 4.5.8.27 onto the CGN3ACR.  That would most likely have resolved the problem. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Actually it wouldn't have fixed the issue we tried login into my modem, but found no matter what we tried I could not. That was after the technician had reset the password several times for me to try. It wouldn't surprise me though, when the installers were here they went through several next boxes before they got two to work. Seems they had bad equipment. They weren't too bright either. They hooked our phone modem up to a plug in a lightbulb that when you turn off cuts the power, so unknown to us we were without a phone for a few days.