PS4 Remote Play issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Suhaib10
I'm Here A Lot

PS4 Remote Play issues

Has anyone else been having issues with remote play on the CODA-4852.
I had a CGN3 before and remote play worked fine but it had issues with disconnects in certain games. The CODA seems better with it haven't had any other issues so far but can't seem to remote play. It keeps saying connection too slow. although i have 10MB+ both upload and download on both networks.

Also for those reporting low speed DO NOT use the test internet connection from settings it is a Sony issue, use the browser with an HTML5 based Speed test.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Re: PS4 Remote Play issues

Hello @Suhaib10,

Not just you - I am having the same issue with my CGN3ACSMR and my 250/20 plan. My PS4 is hardwired to my router, and I have sucessfully used remote play (from PS Vita TV) before the PS4 4.0 firmware update. 

Looks like others are having the same problem - see: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Games-Services/Internet-connection-is-too-slow-to-start-remot...

Looks like a Sony issue to me. Has anyone else here used PS4 remote play recently? EDIT: I will troubleshoot my setup later today and post an update. 

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @Suhaib10,

After some troubleshooting, I was able to get remote play working on my PS Vita and PS TV.  Here is what I did:

On PlayStation 4:

- Connected PS4 to internet (Ethernet/network cable to back of hitron CGN3ACSMR gateway).

- Changed the Primary DNS to 8.8.8.8, and Secondary DNS to 8.8.4.4.

-- EDIT: This changed the NAT type of my PS4 from "Type 3" to "Type 2".

- Performed a FULL POWER OFF of the console (not "Rest Mode").

- Turned console back on.

On PlayStation Vita:

- Connected Vita to wi-fi network.

- Opened PS4 Link app.

- Accepted the update that was presented.

- Turned Vita off, then on again.

- Tested using PS4 Link - SUCCESS.

-- TIP: The PS4 Link app settings allow you to set resolution and frame rate.  Try using a lower resolution and frame rate if your remote play lags or is choppy.

On Playstation TV (PS TV):

- Connected PS TV to internet via Ethernet.

- Opened PS4 Link app.

- Accepted the update that was presented.

- Turned PS TV off, then on again.

- Tested using PS4 Link - SUCCESS.

-- TIP: The PS4 Link app settings allow you to set resolution and frame rate.  Try using a lower resolution and frame rate if your remote play lags or is choppy.

In my case, the following helped resolve the issue:

- PS4: Setting the Primary and Secondary DNS to Google, not Rogers.

- PS Vita: Installing update (PS4 Link app) when presented.

- PS TV: Installing update (PS4 Link app) when presented.

I also recommend that you:

- Ensure there are no large downloads or uploads being made when you try using Remote Play.  This includes: Steam, Origin, uPlay, BitTorrent, etc.

- Ensure the PS4 has a good connection to the internet.  An Ethernet connection (using a network cable) is preferred, but Remote Play should work over wi-fi. 

--TIP: Use "Test Internet Connection" tool on PS4 to ensure that you have at least 10Mbps download and 5Mbps upload available (any less and Remote Play will refuse to work).

I hope this helps you in troubleshooting the PS4 Remote Play issue on your end.  Please feel free to ask me any other questions, and definitely let us know what happens with your troubleshooting.  GOOD LUCK! 🙂

Suhaib10
I'm Here A Lot

Well unfortunately that the DNS change did not help. I've always had NAT Type 2 by default and my PS4 is wired. It is most likely an issue with the modem (CODA-4852) since it did work fine when I was on CGN and PS4 FW 4.50. It might have to do with the UDP issue people have been mentioning in the CODA thread since remote play does utilize UDP ports. Also i doubt its the speed since I hooked up my PS4 to my work place using Bell with 25 Down and 10Up and had no issues connecting from home (rogers 100U).

Thanks for taking the time to debug it.

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @Suhaib10,

No problem. 

FYI: I just upgraded from the CGN3ACSMR to the CODA-4852 (about 10 minutes ago) and will re-test PS Vita to PS4 RemotePlay later tonight (or tomorrow night) and post my results.

4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@robindp @Suhaib10

I have the CODA modem and played GTA online via remote play on Sunday for about 15 mins ... I was also using cgn3acsmr on 250/20 prior to my switch 3-4 weeks ago... I didn't have to adjust any settings it would just work..haven't played since Sunday, will test and report back.

4kgigabitguy
robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @4kgigabitguy,

Let us know how your testing from the Internet goes...not working for me from an external connection (but working on the LAN). 

4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@robindp wrote:

Hello @4kgigabitguy,

Let us know how your testing from the Internet goes...not working for me from an external connection (but working on the LAN). 

@robindp @Suhaib10

Fired up the PS TV yesterday which is wired to my CODA modem. My PS4 Pro is upstairs & connected wirelessly via 5G....Tried to remotely turn on my PS4 Pro, that didn't work. Went upstairs turned on my PS4 Pro and came back down and tried connect. Oddly enough, I got the same message @Suhaib10 had got for the first time "connection to slow" . I did a speedtest & everything looked good, tried to remote in again & it worked this time. I played one match of NBA 2k17 with a buddy & admit the stream appeared to be more choppy than normal. Something does seem a little off...

I haven't tested externally yet (ex wireless LTE hotspot to my VITA & remote in to the PS4 Pro)..Will do that next & report back.

4kgigabitguy

4kgigabitguy
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@robindp @Suhaib10

My PS4 Pro wasn't in rest mode which explains why I couldn't turn it on via the Network (I though even without rest mode you could remotely turn it on? maybe I was mistaken) 

Well anyways, I connected my VITA to my iPhone 7 hotspot (it was on LTE) . First attempt I got connection the connection speed to slow message, then I tried again & it worked. After that I put the PS4 into rest mode & was trying to remote in. It turned on the PS4 but kept hanging before connecting & it would eventually fail.

Restarted the PS4, but my cellphone in a better spot (the LTE was a little weak previously)...Just did two tests while I was on LTE & was able to remote in.

Will test some more later this weekend.

4kgigabitguy

robindp
I'm an Advisor

Hello @4kgigabitguy,

Good to hear that RemotePlay worked for you - how do you have things configured? My setup:

-PS4 connected to CODA via Ethernet (wired).

-PS4 assigned static IP address.

-PS4 DNS changed to Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4).

-Port forwarding 9304/UDP to PS4 static IP (as per LINK).

--Also tried putting the PS4 in the DMZ...no dice.

--Tested from mobile hotspot on my Galaxy S7 Edge.

Hope your answer can shine some light on this issue - you seem to have things set up properly!