PS4 Internet connection speeds slow

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hk2
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: PS4 Internet connection speeds slow

Try using this site speedof.me on your ps4 web browser it will give you true speed.  NO 3rd parties programs are used like Flash or Java.

But I do believe that Sony limited  the amount you can use on there network so having blazing high speed isn't gonna matter when they limit you.

Calling Sony will not help you iether cause they will just blame your ISP cause passing the buck is what SOny is great at doing.

qa6
I Plan to Stick Around

I see I'm not the only person with this issue. Did a speed test for the first time today on my PS4 because the update for FF15 was going to take 7 hours and it was saying my Download Speed was 9.0Mbps...But yet I"m on the 100Mbps ignite plan. 

Breadwinka
I Plan to Stick Around

@qa6 are you using wifi if so thats the problem, PS4 wifi is garbage, if you switch to wired you will see a huge increase, but it will still be slower then expected, i find the connection to Sony's downloads poor.

Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

Guess I should do an update to how this went with Rogers.

For those of you who have not read my posts here on how the PSN server I was connected to is hosted by Rogers, now you know and the info is on the 1st page of this topic.

I had the issue fixed by Rogers. I made a phone call long ago and explain what was happening and that I shouldn't be limited when the PSN server is hosted on the Rogers network. The rogers tech said I am not the only one to call about this and said it is indeed the Rogers network at the time.

He put in a request for techs to look into my case and within 2 days my download speeds went from 20 Mbps to about 110 Mbps on the PS4.

As of right now, I have switched my internet plan to 1 Gbps Download and 50 Mbps upload and the PSN network server is limiting me to 20 Mbps per file. So that means I can only get 20 Mbps for each game downloading, The PS4 can only download 3 games at a time, meaning I get 60 Mbps if I got 3 files downloading. This one I do believe is the PSN, but the 1st time it was 100% rogers limiting data use on the lines for my end for some reason and it got fixed.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This is something that @RogersDave should look into.  I recall seeing a post very recently along the same lines.  Can you remind me, is it Sony that uses the Akami servers?

Elochai
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes when I 1st posted the server info of the PSN server hosted on the Rogers network it was indeed operated by Akami.

Like I said, Rogers was limiting speed before to that server for all network data. But it now looks like Akami is limiting the speed of it files on the server itself. I am not sure if anything can be done about that.

Only thing I can see that could be done in that case is Rogers pressing them to unlimit the speeds for Rogers IP range as rogers customers should have full speed to rogers products rented or not by a 3rd party within the rogers network. But I can't see Rogers wasting their time to do this.

qa6
I Plan to Stick Around

No I'm using a wired connection.

So at this point should I still call Rogers tech support about this?

qa6
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I spoke with a tech which was a total waste of time. All they were willing to do was test my internet speeds which were fine. I mentioned how others have contacted Rogers tech and had the issue resolved but he was not even willing to open a ticket.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At this point I think this is something that @RogersDave will have to look into, once again.  

Shikurikato
I've Been Here Awhile

Poor PS4 Speeds on CODA-4582

I recently switched over from Bell to Rogers because Bell didn't provide the gigabit internet service in my area. When switching over to Rogers because they had the 1gb service available for me I was thrilled to be able to have over the 65MBPS I was getting from Bell, however, shortly after Rogers installed I tested the speeds on my PS4 to find out I was getting a whopping 15mbps down 945KBPS up, testing multiple times to find random speeds every time, but averaging around 40~mbps down. I spoke to countless Rogers live chat agents and they kept testing the connection which is working fine on my wireless laptop and wired PC getting around 270 down on wireless and 922~ down on wired , I tried port forwarding the modem to no avail, Is it the modem? It's a CODA-4582, I read on the forums that the CGN3 was better for console internet, any tips?