POP3 email issues

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

POP3 email issues

Hi Everyone,

A friend of mine is having all kinds of issues with his POP3 email account. He consistently has issues with server timeouts, slow to login to receive emails, 30 sec - 1 min is normal. At times, he will randomly receive duplicate copies of the same email in his inbox, not be able to delete emails, or sent email receipts.

Are there known issues with POP3 accounts? Would switching to an IMAP account offer any benefit or resolve these issues? Are POP3 accounts still being supported?

I have another friend using the same software and OS (Windows Live Mail 2012 / Windows 10), using IMAP with no issues.

Thanks

Re: POP3 email issues

Hello, @Argo82.

Thank you for posting email concerns on your friend's behalf.

Even though we still support POP3, we recommend using IMAP. If your friend access emails primarily on a single device then he can continue using POP3. You can define the frequency of checking for new messages in the mail client. 

Community - anybody using POP3, please share your experience. Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm using POP3 without problems (Mail on my iPad, Outlook on my Mac Mini).  The last known issue was with regard to the necessity to use "App Passwords" discussed in another thread.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the replies.

I will try another email client and see if that's the issue, if not I'll switch to IMAP and see. He only uses his computer for checking emails, so whichever works more reliably is fine. I was more worried POP3 being older, was not supported anymore, which could have been causing the issues.

Thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I'm assuming that using Webmail works properly?

https://rogersmembercentre.com/rmcapp/remc.html#/signin

I also occasionally got duplicate e-mails a couple of years ago when there were problems with Rogers/Yahoo.  I now avoid getting duplicates on Outlook by keeping my inbox in webmail clean, except for one e-mail to preclude the ads that pop up there if you don't have at least one e-mail.  In Webmail I move all but one e-mail to various folders when in webmail.   This also gives me a duplicate set of e-mails "in the cloud". The ones on Webmail and the ones on my Outlook client on my computer.  This also allows me to work "offline" in Outlook.  Of course there are advantages to IMAP like synching all your devices, however, if you only have one device, POP3 should work fine.

I'm Here A Lot

For the past 2 days, I have not been able to access my Rogers Mail via POP in my Outlook.  it keeps prompting me for my password, which I know works since i am able to access my mail thru the browser.

Yes my settings are correct as I have been using POP for years.  It's just the last couple of days that it is not working.

Is there a current issue with the service that I need to wait for it to work again?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have not updated to an app password, this has been rolled out during the past couple of years. Just because something has worked for many years doesn't mean that it's not affected by changes to the e-mail system:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/You-must-update-your-Rogers-email-account-settings/m-...

Here's the FAQ on how to set things up, including the app password at the bottom of the link.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/email-setup