Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

14 Nov 2016 Postscript.

I am back with the same problem and I can't figure out why it is back unless a Win 10 update reset something. User 2 is now getting two different pop ups 

a. MicroSoft Outlook failed to update headers

b. Your IMAP server closed the connection

Luckily I found this recent, and rather lengthy description of the problem on the MicroSoft site.

Continual pop-up - Your IMAP server closed the connection

EM_1336 reports on 7 Nov 2016 that these error messages often will only affect one IMAP mailbox in a person's Outlook client; for example, Yahoo but not Gmail, or Gmail but not AOL, or btinternet but not Yahoo. Exactly what seems to be happening with us.

He or she also suggests many possible reasons, solutions, and work-arounds which I am about to try.

He or she believed that the connection closes becase the scheduled automatic Send/Receive interfers with the IMAP connection when you open Outlook. This seems plausible since the pop-ups occurs about 1 minute after opening Outlook which was the server timeout set for User 2's account.

Here' the first suggested work-around to try:  Extend the automatic send receive interval (the server timeout) to the maximum setting. Click on File – Account Settings – select account – Change – More Settings – Advanced – adjust server timeout to 10 minutes – OK – Next – Finish. This is only a temporary stopgap measure that masks the underlying problem and merely delays the annoying error messages from popping up. Furthermore, increasing the timeout can make Outlook sluggish. One person reported that with his timeout slider set at maximum, it took forever to open a new email or to move an email from one folder to another.

Ever since I updated the App Password to use Rogers email with Outlook, I find that the synchronization of the subscribed Rogers folders seems to take forever. 

I have not yet tried unsubscribing some of the folders to see what happens.

Email can be sent and received, but the synchronization may say 9 minutes but it can last 30 minutes.

Anyone else have this issue after changing their App Password? 

Synchronizing subscribed folders.png

I'm a Senior Advisor

@User14 You certainly are diligent.  I thank you for keeping at it and trying to find a solution for your situation.  It is unfortunate that so often we on this board, and others other there on their own end up being the testers of the range of issues that can arise.

Oh well, it takes money to fully test, and with only 1.14% churn, or some low figure like that, obviously, very few people move from one company to another.

So they can get away with things like this.

All the best and keep us up to date - you are a trooper for sure.

I salute you - oops, a trooper is a private in the armoured corps, not an officer, so I respectfully say to you, you are doing an exemplary job and totally over the top.

Bruce

I'm BACK!

Ref:  email-setup

2018-02-17 this morning I am getting these messages on my Rogers email. I don't use it, but the messages keep popping up every 5 seconds, while I am on my other email account in Outlook 2016. Using Win 10 OS. 

"Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

Task 'Synchronizing subscribed folders for Rogers-Yahoo Account.' reported error (0x800CCC0E) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for Rogers-Yahoo Account. Error: Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'"

I followed the referenced setup instructions to get it to work. I also used the "app password" as directed.  

Does anyone know why I would suddenly be getting error messages??  Is the server down? 

Modify existing IMAP settings to use Rogers Yahoo! servers

1. Click File.
  2. Click Account Settings, then click Account Settings.
  3. On the email tab, highlight your Rogers email and click Change.
  4. In the POP and IMAP Account Settings window, check the following:
    • Your Name: the name you want others to see in the From field when they receive emails from you.
    • Email Address: your full Rogers email address.
    • Account Type: IMAP.
    • Incoming mail server: imap.broadband.rogers.com or imap.nl.rogers.com
    • Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.broadband.rogers.com or smtp.nl.rogers.com
      • User Name: your full Rogers email address.
      • Password: the App Password you created.
        • Remember password is optional, but if not selected you will have to enter your password every time you send or receive an email.
      • Do not check Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA).
  5. Click More Settings.
  6. Click Outgoing Server.
  7. Make sure My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and Use same settings as my incoming mail server are checked.
  8. Click Advanced
  9. In the Advanced window, check the following:
    • Incoming server (IMAP): 993
    • Outgoing server (SMTP): 465
    • Make sure This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) and/or Use the following type of encrypted connection is checked/selected for both incoming and outgoing servers.
  10. Click Ok then click Next, then click Finish.
  11. Send a test email to make sure the settings are correct and the email is working.
I Plan to Stick Around

Another thread has been started on this issue, unfortunately no response from Rogers.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Situation is resolved for me. I posted in the other thread.

Thanks, I see it is a widespread outage today (2018-01-17) but not a single word on their website. Unbelieveable.

I just wanted to follow up on the Outlook setup situation to indicate the final settings I have for my laptop and PC.

PC

INCOMING    imap.mail.yahoo.com  993:1

OUTGOING   smtp.mail.yahoo.com  465:1

Laptop (This was set up automatically by MS Outlook using the Yahoo option and my Rogers email on my laptop)

INCOMING  imap.mail.yahoo.com  993:1

OUTGOING  smtp.mail.yahoo.com  465:1

With this set up everything seems to synchronize. You don't need the App Pwd, but you can generate one at Yahoo. But make sure you use it for incoming and outgoing servers on your devices as well.

This also worked

PC

INCOMING  imap.broadband.rogers.com 993:1

OUTGOING smtp.broadband.rogers.com 465:1

If you generate the App Pwd, make sure you use it. 

From what I was able to figure out I had a yahoo server setting (with orignal pwd) for the incoming server and a rogers setting for the outgoing server (with App pwd)  on my PC.   I figure this was causing the glitches. 

Check all your devices to make sure they are set up to synchronize properly.  With everything using the same settings, I have not had a problem - yet! 

@robindp wrote:

Please keep us posted, this is an interesting problem.  

@robindp   FYI,  User1 and User2 had different  imap and smtp server settings for incoming and outgoing servers.  User1 had Rogers settings so no problem sync'ing, and User2 had a combination of Yahoo and Rogers settings which caused the sync and error problems I think. Just because a setting works, doesn't mean it is the correct one.  

I'm Here A Lot

How is this SOLVED? None of these recommendations change anything. Same error for weeks, months, YEARS, no matter all the settings changes.

Hey Rogers....anyone work there? Why allow your users to fumble around in the dark with a problem that obviously remains a problem? These forums are a supplier's responsibility dodge.