Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

This post below from 19 OCT 2013 by Richard Laugton of Milton Ontario was useful.  I could not delete ALL ACCOUNTS in the SEND\RECEIVE GROUPS so I just un-checked the box for `Include the selected account in this group' to only have the Rogers account in that group. Then I added another group for the other email account and un-checked the box for the Rogers account.  When you add a group it is called NEW SEND\RECEIVE. I also changed the automatic update for one of the emails accounts to 20 minutes but I did not check off the automatic updates for the Rogers account.

So far, no 0x800CCCDD IMAP Server disconnect. Time will tell.

-- quote -- 

I had tried everything and then I found a reference to the issue that IMAP is always LIVE and POP is not, so you need to separate your IMAP and POP accounts on the computer - the same problem does not happen on my phone. I have WINDOWS 8 on my computer and WINDOWS 7 on my phone. I am using MICROSOFT OFFICE 2010 with OUTLOOK.

Go to the main SEND / RECEIVE tab in OUTLOOK, the one between HOME and FOLDER. At the bottom of that drop-down menu you will see DEFINE SEND RECEIVE GROUPS. If you are like me you had them all in one group, so I made two NEW groups with these names for future reference:

1. IMAP Servers no AUTO Send /Receive
2. POP Servers with AUTO Send / Receive

Delete your old group name if you had one.

Now you have to click the EDIT button in the SEND / RECEIVE GROUPS and for the IMAP server group make sure that the option for "automatic send/receive" is NOT checked. You can leave it checked in the "send/received (F9)". Next go to the POP group and click the box for "Schedule an automatic send/receive every _ minutes".

Next go to each of the IMAP and POP groups and click the EDIT button, in the same Send / Receive Groups menu box that you have been using. A new box opens which lists all your accounts on the left hand side. In the IMAP group include only your IMAP accounts and in POP only your POP groups. In may example my POP group includes my accounts for YAHOO, HOTMAIL and SYMPATICO (Bell in Canada). I also included my account that I had recently made for my "Microsoft Mail Server" which is the HOTMAIL account for consolidating all my CONTACTS between my Lap Top and Phone (another topic - I can detail that as well for those interested).

So far this is working without a hitch. You can still use your  F9 button to do a manual send/receive in all groups or you can use the drop down menu and send/receive in just IMAP or POP. The "live" IMAP downloaded as it needed and the POP accounts downloaded at the time interval I set.
--unquote--

It appears that the Yahoo server configured for IMAP will close the connection if the ALL ACCOUNTS in the Send\Receive Group contain both a Rogers IMAP email account and a Gmail  IMAP account in that default group. The Gmail server was not affected and it synchronized without any interruptions. The Yahoo  IMAP4rev1 server however, would be disrupted and repeatedly disconnected during IMAP synchronizations. 

The solution was to add a unique Send\Receive Group for the Rogers email account. 

It has been over 24 hours and I have not seen the MS Outlook pop up error (see image below) appear in User2`s Rogers email account since I separated the synchronization of User2`s Gmail and Rogers email.

--END--

IMAP server closed the connection.pngI

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hey @User14

Thats great to hear!  Thanks for sharing all your findings and solution with the community!  May have taken a bit, but glad you found a fix to this!  Enjoy your weekend Smiley LOL

Regards,

RogersCilio

SADLY and REGRETABLY, I have to report that User 2 received the message "Your IMAP Server has closed the connection" this morning at  9am  27 Feb 2016.    Error Code 0X800CCCDD.

The good news is that this is the longest duration without the error popping-up. It was usually daily, but the last time was after we lost our Rogers internet connection around 3pm on 24 Feb 2016, then again at 7:15pm on 25 Feb 2016.

It is quite possible that the IMAP set up with User2's mobile devices - iPad and iPhone could be the cause of this error. I will have to check this out.   

Note that User 2 uses Rogers email almost exclusively, and Gmail is secondary. Therefore User2 reports the 0X800CCCDD error very often.  User 1 uses a different ISP for email and has never seen a dropped connection with the ISP server. User 1 rarely uses Rogers email. Perhaps this problem does occur with User 1 but it has not been noted.

It is also possible that this problem originates with the Internet Service Provider (ISP) connection. There are a total of 4 different ISPs being used by User 1 and User 2 with Outlook but this error only occurs with the Rogers IMAP4rev1 server.

I have noticed that there is a very slow connection speed with Rogers. eg. Pixelization on the TV, delays in responses when using Navigatr commands, the occassional Rogers server disconnect with User 1 but with Error Code 0X800CC0E. There is also the occassional inability to connect to the internet for no reason.  If this is due to a flaky Rogers connection, then I am chasing a problem that does not exist due to the Outlook IMAP setup.

I'll keep monitoring this issue and report back if anything changes.

Still getting the error message below for USER 2 but it is not at any regular time or frequency. 

Last time was 7:15pm on 25 Feb 2016, then nothing until 9:00 pm on Sunday 28 Feb 2016 (72 hours!).  Then nothing again until 08:30am this morning on Tuesday 1 March 2016, then again at 10:30am, then at 11:30 on USER 1 Account!  I need to check to see if the mobile devices may be triggering this disconnect. It may happen when the PC and the mobile device poll the Yahoo server at the same time. Very curious.

IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

Protocol:             IMAP

Server:  imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port:      993

Error Code:         0x800CCCDD

Now 4 Mar 2016.

On 2 Mar 2016, IMAP server closed errors continued for User 2 nearly every hour.

On 3 Mar 2016, User 2 got  this new message.

IMAP Error 0x800CCCDB.png

It didn't seem to cause a problem once OK clicked off.  Still received IMAP server closed errors but only 2 in the afternoon.

Today, I did not see any IMAP server closed errors for User 2. A bit of a surprise. So I tried turning on and off  mobile iPhone  to see if it triggered the IMAP server closed error.  No server closed error.

In the meantime, I found another "solution". I modified User2 account as explained below, to see if it has any effect.

I should wait for a day with lots of IMAP server closed errors before trying this, but I have nothing to loose except my patience.

I just solved the issue for myself.  It looks like outlook has issues unless the account is set up to only download headers.  Here's what I did:

Go to File > Options
Select 'Advanced' from the tabs on the left
Click the 'Send/Receive...' button
Highlight 'All Accounts' (or whatever group contains your gmail account) and click 'Edit...'
Select the account from the list on the left
Under 'Receive mail items', select 'Download headers for subscribed folders' (or, use the 'custom behavior' option and make sure to only download headers)
Click 'OK', 'Close', 'OK'

Send/Receive and you should be set.  Hopefully this helps...

FWIW: I also tried to post this to the thread "Error message-IMAP server closed connection error code-0x800CCCDD" but the thread is closed to new comments.

Now 6 Mar 2016

I reported that I didn't receive any "IMAP server closed the connection" errors on 4 March.

Yesterday, 5 March, still no "IMAP server closed the connection" errors for User 2!  It looks promising.

IMAP Error 0x800CCC0F for User1 on a different email account, but not related to the User2 Rogers Email Account.

Note that I have set up the User2 Rogers account to only download headers as indicated below. 

Go to File > Options
Highlight 'All Accounts' (or whatever group contains your email account) and click 'Edit...'
Under 'Receive mail items', select 'Download headers for subscribed folders' 

I have my fingers crossed.

7 Mar 2016

User 2 has not received any "IMAP Server closed the connection" error messages in Outlook since 4 March.

That's 4 days!

I think the problem was solved using the solution from the last post on 6 March.

In Outlook 2010

Go to File > Options
Highlight 'All Accounts' (or whatever group contains your email account) and click 'Edit...'
Under 'Receive mail items', select 'Download headers for subscribed folders' 

Note that User1 with the Rogers email account had: 

Under 'Receive mail items', select 'Use the custom behaviour defined below' 

and the INBOX, SENT & DRAFT Folder were checked off.

The buttons: "download headers only"  or "download complete item including attachment" were not checked off and there were never any error messages for User 1. 

Why one configuration worked for User1's Rogers account and not User's 2 Rogers account is still unknown.

Changing User's 2 configuration seemed to solve the issue.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @User14,

This is exciting news! I hope this continues use to work - great job on the troubleshooting and for letting us know the results. 

9 Mar 2016 Postscript

This is a postscript to my 6 Mar 2016 post.  User2 did not like her TRASH Folder being emptied automatically on the Yahoo server. (Don't ask why.)  I therefore set DELETED MESSAGES as the folder for her deleted messages in the Outlook setup and unsubscribed the TRASH Folder. I thought this would not affect the "IMAP Server closed the connection error", but it did.   User 2 has indicated that the IMAP error has now appeared twice since I switched the TRASH Folder to the DELETED MESSAGES folder on her account. 

According to a search, Yahoo Mail regularly deletes the contents of the Trash folder. This is not a setting you can change.  Would anyone know what "regularly" means?  daily, weekly, monthly?

You seem to be able to set the frequency for the deletion of spam. Why not the Trash?

The Spam folder, however, empties at a frequency you set. Here's how.

1. Sign in to Yahoo Mail.
  2. Mouse over the Settings menu icon  Gear Icon select Settings.
  3. Click Security on the left.
  4. For "Empty Spam folder," select:
    • Once a week
    • Every two weeks
    • Once a month (default)
  5. Click Save.