Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

I don`t want to declare success prematurely, but I have not received the 0x800CCCDD error message in about 18 hours.

I usually get the error pop up within 24 hours.

If you recall, User2 had set the properties of the inbox to TOTAL, whereas User1 had set the properties of the inbox to UNREAD.  I changed User2`s property to  UNREAD and surprisingly I got a different messages with a different error code.  0x800CCC0F.  The window in Outlook showing the 9 tasks being synchronized was still showing as well as the pop up error message telling me that the IMAP server had disconnected. Obviously, something was hanging up.

OUTLOOK Send\Receive Progress

Task Tab said:

8 of 9 Tasks completed

! Synchronizing subscribed folders for User2@rogers.com . Checking for new mail in subscribed folder on User2@rogers.com.

Error Tab said:

! Task: ``Synchronizing subscribed folders for `user2@rogers.com’ reported error (0x800CCC0F): ‘Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for user2@rogers.com ‘  The server did not respond to this IMAP command before the connection was terminated. If you continue to receive this message contact your server administrator or internet service provider (ISP).

I googled Windows Live mail error 0x800CCC0F and someone wrote this:

I had the same message today, I solved it by going to windows mail, clicked on Tools, than on Options, than on Send, and finally under Mail Sending Format I changed from HTML to Plain text. , clicked on apply and OK and that fixed my problem, I was able to receive mail. It was apparently hung up on a very large e-mail I send out earlier. After the send and receive worked I went back into options and changed it back to the way it was earlier and have not had any problems since. Good luck.

It made me think that there was something in User2`s Inbox causing this.  I found an old 2009 email with a 5MB attachment. I have moved it to a .pst file on the PC and I have my fingers crossed. So far, so good. 

I forget the details, but I thought yahoo, gmail, outlook could handle up to 20MB attachments, but synchronizing with IMAP seems to have a limit before it times out.  Interesting. 

Just when I thought I had the problem solved and working for 24 hours, I got the error message this afternoon. 

IMAP4rev1 Server logging out

Protocol:             IMAP

Server:  imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port:      993

Error Code:         0x800CCCDD

In case someone is wondering if this only happens when I switch back and forth between User 1 Account and User 2 Account in Outlook, the IMAP4rev1 server logged out when I left the PC open on User2`s account and waited.  

For Robindp,

Quote: I did some checking and the link @RogersHassam provided contained the answer (exclude user2's IMAP account from automatic send/receive) which should have resolved the issue. Did you test that fix? I am asking because you stated: Unquote.

Yes, I did.  I tried the one below before, but I`ll try it again to see what happens. I am only trying one thing at a time and then waiting 24 hours. It is a painfully slow process.

Un-Check the "Schedule and Automatic Send/Receive every _ minutes".

There is one Apple iPhone and iPad associated with User2`s Rogers email, and one mini iPad and Android phone associated with User1`s Rogers email.  The Rogers email is synching with the PC Outook, mini ipad and galaxy phone for User1.  User2 only gets this pop up error on the PC with Outlook. The iPhone and iPad seem to synch okay. I have not looked at it closely though.  

If this persists within the next 24 hours, then I'll try setting up another Rogers IMAP account for User 2.     

I just got the pop up error message again, after I had unselected the automatic send\receive every __ minutes.

I get the feeling it is doing this just to spite me.

I'm an Advisor

Wow, this is a strange one. Creating the new account for User2 might help (if error is caused by a corrupted mail item or attachment). 

Could you test with an alternate mail client, just for kicks? Would be interesting to see if this is an Outlook issue or a true IMAP error. 

@robindp wrote:

Wow, this is a strange one. Creating the new account for User2 might help (if error is caused by a corrupted mail item or attachment). 

Could you test with an alternate mail client, just for kicks? Would be interesting to see if this is an Outlook issue or a true IMAP error. 

I did start to create a new User2 account, but as usual, something new pops up. I don't remember getting this before.

Is this an Outlook thing? Windows thing? or a Yahoo thing? Or just click proceed?  No wonder people hit their monitor with the keyboard. 🙂

Rogers certificate.jpg

I'm an Advisor

I have not seen this before, can you click "View Certificate" and include the screenshot?

@robindp wrote:

Do you have a phone or tablet receiving User1 and User2's e-mail? If so, are those devices experiencing authentication or server timeout issues when checking for mail on either account?

Please keep us posted, this is an interesting problem.  

This will appear out of sequence in the thread, but I did use User2's iPad today and I saw that she had 2 Rogers email accounts configured for Mail - a Rogers POP account and a Roger IMAP account.  I may try discretely deleting her Rogers POP account and see if it has an effect on the PC IMAP server synchronization error.  I'll have to check out her iPhone too. 

User14 wrote
@that robindp wrote:

Do you have a phone or tablet receiving User1 and User2's e-mail? If so, are those devices experiencing authentication or server timeout issues when checking for mail on either account?

This will appear out of sequence in the thread, but I did use User2's iPad today and I saw that she had 2 Rogers email accounts configured for Mail - a Rogers POP account and a Roger IMAP account.  I may try discretely deleting her Rogers POP account and see if it has an effect on the PC IMAP server synchronization error.  I'll have to check out her iPhone too.  

It seems the Rogers POP account only has Contacts, Calendar, Remnders and Notes - but No Mail

and the Rogers IMAP account has Mail only so there isn't the problem I thought there was.

Interestingly enough, I sent User1 an email from User2's iPad and User1 got the message.

However, this pop-up appeared on User2's iPad.  I tried it again, and no pop-up. Bizarre. 

iPad message:

Cannot Send Mail.

The connection to the outgoing server

“smtp.mail.yahoo.com” failed.

Additional Outgoing Mail Servers can

be configured in “Settings” >Mail, Contacts, Calendars.

OK

This may be a red-herring so it is only for info to illustrate the wackiness of this stuff.

Here you go.

Certificate Info.jpg

I'm an Advisor

I have not seen that certificate presented to me before. I want to try and reproduce this here - please let me know:

- What version of Outlook are you running?

- What version of Windows are you running? (Windows 10 Home or Pro?). 

- Do the e-mail addresses end in "Rogers.com" or "yahoo.com"?mi am going to create two new e-mail addresses and want to be sure I am testing the right thing. 

@robindp wrote:

I have not seen that certificate presented to me before. I want to try and reproduce this here - please let me know:

- What version of Outlook are you running?

- What version of Windows are you running? (Windows 10 Home or Pro?). 

- Do the e-mail addresses end in "Rogers.com" or "yahoo.com"?mi am going to create two new e-mail addresses and want to be sure I am testing the right thing. 

@it is Outlook 2010 and Windows 10 Home. Both e-mails are   @rogers.com

I have been looking at the microsoft community group and it seems this issue has been around for quite awhile.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-outlook/imap-server-closed-the-connectio...

I am currently playing around with the Send\Receive groups so there is no automatic send\receive.

BTW the Rogers internet went down this afternoon and User1 got error code 0X800CCC0E when trying to send\receive, but User2 got a blank Outlook screen with the message: 'Cannot display the folder. Cannot connect to the server.'

Two different messages for the two accounts???