Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

I have set up two different Rogers email accounts in Outlook 2010 for two different user accounts. (User1@rogers.com is the first account and  User2@rogers.com is the second account) 

All the IMAP settings are the same for both. Each variable except for the email address is the same.

If you are familiar with Outlook you can switch from one user account to the other.

The problem is when switching back and forth User 2 constantly gets the message below when switching back from User 1:

IMAP4rev1 Server is logging out

Protocol: IMAP

Server: imap.mail.yahoo.com

Port: 993

Error Code:  0x800CCCDD

User 1 does not receive the above message when switching back from User 2. 

Is this an Outlook issue or a Rogers/Yahoo issue? 

***Edited Labels*** 

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Re: Outlook - imap.mail.yahoo.com server closed the connection

Hello @User14,

This seems more like an issue with Outlook. If you actually Google "Error Code 0x800CCCDD", you will find a lot of information on how to fix this error. You should be able to find more information here amongst many other links that have the answer to this issue. 

Hope this helps :). 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

It turns out the problem seems to be with duplicate files being created at the Rogers/Yahoo server end.  Somehow, User2 has duplicate folders and the user's connection is being disconnected by the imap.mail.yahoo.com server.

I don't seem able to post links or images here for clarity, but I really need to know what are the essential Rogers/Yahoo folders that are needed for IMAP to work?  Or, which of these User2 folders is a DUPLICATE that is causing the imap server to close the connection?

INBOX

DRAFTS

SENT

ARCHIVE

SPAM 

TRASH

> SMART VIEWS seem to be duplicate folders created by Rogers/Yahoo:  IMPORTANT, UNREAD, STARRED, PEOPLE, SOCIAL, SHOPPING, TRAVEL and FINANCE.

>FOLDERS that seem to be created by the User: DELETED MESSAGES, JUNK E-MAIL, OUTBOX, NOTES, RSS FEEDS

>RECENT that doesn't have anything.

Can someone from Rogers answer this question?

Reference Link: social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/da569d41-3136-42aa-aa2a-8a2d55e365c9/imap-account-configuration-issue?forum=exchangesvradminlegacy

• Checked the server log and found error:

Duplicate folders "Junk E-mail" were detected in the mailbox for user: xyz. Therefore the user's connection was disconnected.

User Action: To resolve this problem, the user should manually delete the duplicate folders by logging on to the mailbox using Outlook Web Access or a MAPI client such as Outlook.

1. Login onto the user's mailbox using OWA and deleted the "Junk E-Mail" Folder.
  2. Problem resolved.

Let the Rogers Community know if you have received the answer you needed.

Hi User14,

Just wondering if you had received the answer you needed? If so, you should let the Rogers Community know so that answer can help other members.

Need to check? See the thread: <deleted: Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.>

The Rogers Community Team

No, not yet!  Thanks for asking, but I am still trying to sort it out on my own by trial and error.  I think the default folders when setting up a Rogers/Yahoo account are:

INBOX

SENT

DRAFTS

TRASH

ARCHIVE

SPAM

>SMART VIEWS

>FOLDERS

>RECENT

I would be nice if someone from Rogers could confirm this though. 

User2 was using DELETED MESSAGES which is a >FOLDER created by the user instead of the TRASH folder for "deleted items" internet mail setting.  I unsubscribed the TRASH folder as it looked like this was the duplicate folder.  I still got error 0X800CCCDD imap server closed the connection, but not as ofen it seemed. I haven't changed User2 Outlook internet email setting for "deleted items" from DELETED MESSAGES to TRASH yet.  Note that User1 is using TRASH for deleted items and doesn't get this error.

I am now trying the "use custom behaviour" button to only synch the INBOX and SENT folders. Use the Outlook - File - Options - Advanced - Send/Receive - Edit sequence to get the "custom" button.  If I solve this issue, I'll post my findings.  

These issues are always a puzzle wrapped in an enigma shrouded in mystery. 

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hello @User14,

Hope you've managed to nip this one in the bud, if you did I'm curious as to how you fixed it?

To answer your question, after setting up an @rogers e-mail address using IMAP on Outlook 2010, it appears the default folders are in the following order:

INBOX

ARCHIVE

BULK MAIL

DRAFTS

JUNK E-MAIL

SEARCHED FOLDERS

SENT

TRASH

Hope this helps!  Keep us posted Smiley Happy

Regards,

RogersCilio

Thanks for the Info.

I thought I had the thing solved, but the 0x800CCCDD error appeared again.  The thing is, I have two accounts set up with IMAP. One (User1) account doesn't give me the error at all, and the other (User2) does.  I have both accounts set up identically for:

a. Account Settings  -  Email

b. File - Option - Advanced - Send/Receive -  Edit

The only difference is the File Folders:

User 1 had a few more folders which seemed to be residual OUTLOOK account folders that don't seem to cause a synch problem:

OUTBOX

IN BASKET

SENT MESSAGES

User 2 had three more folders on the server:

RSS FEEDS

NOTES

DELETED MESSAGES

I first deleted RSS FEEDS from the server and I didn't get the error for about 1 day. Probably not it.

I then deleted  NOTES from the server and I didn't get the error for a day as well. Probably not it.

I also noted that when I create a "NOTE" in the OUTLOOK account, it created a new NOTES folder which shows up on the server. 

I still have my OUTLOOK account which has empty SENT and INBOX folders, but the DRAFTS and TRASH are alive and well. If I draft or delete a message in the ROGERS account, they end up in the respective OUTLOOK account folders.

I have now deleted the RSS FEEDS. NOTES and DELETED MESSAGES folders from the server.  I suspect the synch glitch is with the DELETED MESSAGES (Outlook) and the TRASH (Rogers) Folders. If not, I'll try deleting the JUNK EMAIL which was originally suggested by someone I mentioned in my first post. 

We'll see what happens in a day or two. 

I'm an Advisor

Hello @User14,

An idea - if still having issues, would you consider configuring one of the accounts to use POP3 instead of IMAP? You would need to create/use an existing local PST file as the delivery destination to keep user1 and user2 e-mail separate. 

I set this up in my Outlook 2013 client yesterday, the settings still work: http://www.rogers.com/web/content/emaildownload?setLanguage=en

I have no authentication issues using this method (have been using POP3 on another computer for 5+ years). 

Thanks for the suggestion.

I am at the point now where I have either deleted most of the folders or unsubscribed them for User 2 and 0x800CCCDD still shows up.   The only folder left as a  potential culprit is JUNK E-MAIL which I can`t delete. You can delete it, but Outlook brings it back. Trying to unsubscribe from the folder synchronization and you get this message:  Cannot unsubscribe from folder.``Junk E-mail`` is a special folder and cannot be unsubscribed from in Outlook. If you have been following this thread, User 1 does have the Junk E-Mail folder along with 9 others,  and all folders are subscribed for synchronization and the 0800CCCDD error never shows up. 

I therefore think I may be on the wrong track. It could be a rogue email that is causing the synchronization connection to time out.  Or, User 1 has folders that display UNREAD items whereas User 2 has folders that display TOTAL number of emails and there may be a glitch in the count of emails.

Here is something written back in 2011 that may be a clue:

This message appears when Outlook cannot retrieve an e-mail from AOL's server within a specified period. You might also see an error, as I did- Your IMAP server wants to alert you to the following: (NUMBER) That mail is not currently available. 

The latter of the two errors is the cause for both. Outlook is finding a corrupt e-mail on AOL's server, cannot accept it and then times out. The hard part is finding the e-mail, possibly amongst thousands like my client had. Here's the best way I could think of to track down the culprit.

I'm an Advisor

Hello @User14,

I did some checking and the link @RogersHassam provided contained the answer (exclude user2's IMAP account from automatic send/receive) which should have resolved the issue. Did you test that fix? I am asking because you stated: 

@User14 wrote:

I am at the point now where I have either deleted most of the folders or unsubscribed them for User 2 and 0x800CCCDD still shows up.   The only folder left as a  potential culprit is JUNK E-MAIL which I can`t delete. You can delete it, but Outlook brings it back. Trying to unsubscribe from the folder synchronization and you get this message:  Cannot unsubscribe from folder.``Junk E-mail`` is a special folder and cannot be unsubscribed from in Outlook. If you have been following this thread, User 1 does have the Junk E-Mail folder along with 9 others,  and all folders are subscribed for synchronization and the 0800CCCDD error never shows up. 

Why are you trying to unsubscribe the "Junk E-mail" folder from synchronization? This is a required folder for both Outlook and Rogers/Yahoo e-mail, and should be left alone. 

I suggest you try the following:

- Create a new Outlook profile.

- Add User1 and User2 as IMAP accounts. 

- Start Outlook and test as normal - do not delete any folder or change any send/receive settings. 

- If you encounter the error again, close Outlook and then start it from the Command Prompt using the /cleanviews switch to reset all folder and program views in the new profile to their default settings (LINK). 

- If you encounter the error, try the fix RogersHassam suggested. 

I'm an Advisor

Also, have you tested other mail apps (Windows Live Mail 2013, Windows 10 Mail app, Mozilla Thunderbird, etc) to see if this problem occurs outside of Outlook?

Do you have a phone or tablet receiving User1 and User2's e-mail? If so, are those devices experiencing authentication or server timeout issues when checking for mail on either account?

Please keep us posted, this is an interesting problem.