Outlook.com can't set up Rogers POP3 email accounts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Outlook.com can't set up Rogers POP3 email accounts

I have just installed Win 8.1 (but this problem exists in Win 7 as well, so I don't think it is Windows). Outlook.com (not outlook on the desktop) has a feature to access all mailboxes. I have set it up successfully to get my hotmail and gmail, so I know that it works and that I know what I am doing.

But it simply will NOT establish a connection to rogers.com based e-mails no matter what setting I use. This failure is rampantly reported over in Microsoft forums but frankly I don't think it is a Microsoft or Outlook.com issue. I think it is a Rogers issue and it has been gong on apparently for over a year with no resolution that I can find.

I have used every conceivable setting to no avail. Server settings I tried are pop.broadband.rogers.com (port 110 or 995) with and without SSL, and smtp.broadband.rogers.com (port 25 or 587, no SSL). I use the same settings that I use to import my mail from Rogers on my phone or from other sources and it works fine, so it is not my Rogers account per se.

Can anyone shed light on WHY Outlook.com cannot establish a connection to rogers.com for email consolidation?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Outlook.com can't set up Rogers POP3 email accounts

Was initially thinking maybe port, but checked it was default on my full outlook so that part is fine.

Only thing I could think is, that possibly outlook is not resolving the DNS for the name?

Try perhaps 98.139.214.182??

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I likely wil not be able to test this till tomorrow but I will see if I can get it configured.

Likely it's something between yahoo & outlook 😞

Have you tried the imap server, if it will allow it?

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thank you. I also assume there is a problem beteen outlook.com and yahoo/rogers. My gmail account got set up in an instant.

Afraid IMAP is not an option for outlook.com.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can often just replace the pop server etc with the imap. Not always.
I'm away from home today on mobile, and will test when I can.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just gave it a try.. and no luck. 😞

Just times out for me.. no error like couldnt connect, etc.. but just a timeout.. 😞

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Yes, exactly.

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the POP3 side. Outlook.com gives you the option of setting up 'send only' or 'send and receive'. I can set up the send only, i.e.. the SMTP connection no problem, but when I try to do send and receive and set up for both POP and SMTP, it says it is setting up account but it never does. I have given it over an hour just for sport and nothing.

But it is frustrating that there is no error and no indication of why.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Was initially thinking maybe port, but checked it was default on my full outlook so that part is fine.

Only thing I could think is, that possibly outlook is not resolving the DNS for the name?

Try perhaps 98.139.214.182??

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

SUCCESS!

I used the IP 98.139.214.182 as the POP3 server address and kept the smtp.broadband.rogers.com as the SMTP address (ports 110 and 587 respectively) and it went through in 5 seconds, just as it is supposed to.

I did this under my Win 7 set up and have not tried under Win 8.1 yet but both were giving the same symptoms so I expect both will be resolved by your good tip.

Based on your insight I first tried a DNS cache flush (Ipconfig /flushDNS) but that di not help.

But actually resolving the server name to the ip address did the trick. THANK YOU.

BTW - where can one find out the IP addresses of Rogers' servers? Is this server IP constant and unchanging or does it change? What is the corresponding SMTP server address in case I ever need it?

Again, many thanks.

Michael

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Likely it's a DNs resolution when outlooks server is looking for it.

It might change, but no easy way to know (Hence why people use the DNs normally)

Easiest way to find the ip of one, would be to go Into a command dos prompt and type

Ping www.servernamehere.con

And as well as the ping results it will give the IP address

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info. I pinged both pop and smtp and got the IPs just as you said. Next time I have any problems with DNS resulution on mail servers I will know what to do.

Many thanks.