Outlook 2010 keeps asking for my password

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Outlook 2010 keeps asking for my password

program your settings for both the iphone and your outlook to use imap not pop3

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem and have been working on it for a week and a half,  here is what I have come up with.

I found that if I signed in with my Browser to rogers.yahoo.com  and clicked on my username it would prompt me

for my password,  as soon as I sent my password via my Browser to the server. then went back to my Outlook program

I could send and Receive Emails through my  Outlook Program.

This set me wise that there is something which is telling the server at Rogers Yahoo to shut my Outlook program down.  Well then I said there must be something foreign making the server do this.

I found out that my Iphone and my Ipad were hooked to the rogers email system  So I went to my Iphone and I pad and in the Settings  Mail, Contacts,Calendar section where it says FETCH NEW DATA   I clicked it to OFF,    I have had no further problems with my Outlook for the past Day and Half.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@medwayfisherman wrote:

I have the same problem and have been working on it for a week and a half,  here is what I have come up with.

I found that if I signed in with my Browser to rogers.yahoo.com  and clicked on my username it would prompt me

for my password,  as soon as I sent my password via my Browser to the server. then went back to my Outlook program

I could send and Receive Emails through my  Outlook Program.

This set me wise that there is something which is telling the server at Rogers Yahoo to shut my Outlook program down.  Well then I said there must be something foreign making the server do this.

I found out that my Iphone and my Ipad were hooked to the rogers email system  So I went to my Iphone and I pad and in the Settings  Mail, Contacts,Calendar section where it says FETCH NEW DATA   I clicked it to OFF,    I have had no further problems with my Outlook for the past Day and Half.

This is because the iphone is tieing up the connection to the server, using your login, etc.. at that time.. and then not allowing outlook to connect, as it already sees a connection active at that time.  This is probably more a security thing.. not allowing multiple connections at one time, etc..

Now, i do have fetch on my iphone.. and its set up pop.  But i only end up having problems connecting or downloading via another program, if the email app is in the mail and trying to download itself.  If i exit from the mail screen on the phone (but the app is still in the background) it lets me in fine.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been having the same issues, until I found this article:

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?locale=en_CA&y=PROD_MAIL_ML&page=content&id=SLN4666

I was finally able to sucessfully POP my @rogers.com email address using the steps above.  Hope that helps.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Thank you so much, this really helped solved my problem, I have been frustrated for 6 months on this.Smiley Happy

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello:

I realize that I'm replying to an old post, but the same problem (re-)occurred last week.

Outlook 2010 on Win 10 keeps asking for password upon replying to an e-mail.  When clicking OK, the message is sent out anyways. Works fine using webmail. No change to password was made recently.

Any clues?

Thanks!

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@yperozzo:

Does this happen to you every time you try to use Outlook?  Have you upgraded Outlook to the latest version?  I'm running Outlook for Mac 2011 Version 14.7.3.  I get this occasionally when I launch Outlook (say once a month) and I just close Outlook and reopen it. I don't bother reconfirming the Password or anything else since I know all that info is correct.

When I get an error when trying to send/reply, I usually just go into the Outbox at the bottom of my list of folders, open the e-mail again and send it again.

Very occasionally, when I have an attachment in the e-mail, if I've taken a long time to compose the e-mail, it won't send. In that case I copy the text to a new e-mail and try again.  Again, that usually works.  This only happens maybe once or twice a year.

So if this is only happening occasionally, I wouldn't worry. If it happens all the time, make sure you've got the latest Outlook version.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

To the poster that mentioned Outlook doesn't work with Win 7... I'm sorry but that is false information.   All versions of Windows up to Windows 10 work fine on Office 2007 onward.  Even Office 2003 works.  Outlook comes with Office.

In XP we have Outlook Express (deprecated)

In Vista/7 we have Windows Live Mail (separate download but deprecated)

In Windows 8.0, 8.1 and 10 there is a Mail APP that comes with Windows.

I do not like the Mail APP however piles of my customers use Outlook still on many assorted platforms and ISP's and email providers.

Some ways to reduce this problem are...

Use IMAP instead of POP - it seems to happen way less often.

Also, Rogers is currently splitting from yahoo and the mail is a mess right now.  It should be fixed eventually but I have numerous customers complaining about mail and have been trying to fix as many as possible over to the new rogers system that also pops up asking for a password BUT is the NEW way rogers is moving forward.

You log into your email, go to your account settings, manage your account, create a new APP password.  This is ONLY for APPS (Outlook, Thunderbird, your Phones, Tablets, etc)..

WEBMAIL does NOT need an APP password.

Hope this helps some people!

David Perry

Perry Computer Services

Canada