Outbound SMTP issue with IP Cameras

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Outbound SMTP issue with IP Cameras

I just recently purchased an IP Camera.  I have trouble getting the outbound emails to work.   I have a couple of questions:

1) Is it possible to use Gmail's SMTP Server and Gmail with the IP Camera connected to the Rogers Internet Network?

2) I have also tried to use the Rogers Yahoo email address.  I have tested sending emails from Outlook Express using the SMTP.  It worked from Outlook Express, but it took about 3-4 minutes before an email arrived at either another Rogers Yahoo Email, or Gmail.   When I used the same settings, I was not able to send the email from the IP Camera.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Solved! Go to Solution.
Retired Moderator RogersPrasana
Retired Moderator

Re: Outbound SMTP issue with IP Cameras

Hi @tyuen001

Welcome to the Community Forums! Smiley Happy

This sounds like something one of our Resident Experts can assist with,

@Datalink @Gdkitty @VivienM any insights?

@RogersPrasana

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Would you able to post what your SMTP settings are you are using on outlook where it is working correctly?

That i am aware of..  there is no blocking from anything specific.. as long as the protocols, ports, etc are correct.. it should work. 
Just want to make sure that the camera can do SSL etc which is now needed.

As for the using google SMTP?? I doubt it Smiley Sad
And no this is not a thing of roges not just wanting people to use other email.
Its to protect the rogers network for being a source of mail spam, etc.   They pretty much block just about all other SMTP servers.   For the case say of where people get infected with malware, etc.. which is set up as a spambot... and could use that persons PC.. with ANY SMTP server address.. and be used to send out spam email.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for looking into this.  I have the Rocket Modem.

Outlook Express Server Tab;

OutlookEx1.png

Outlook Express Advanced Tab

OutlookEx2.png

IP Cam Email Set Up

IPCameraSetUp.png

IP Cam Error Message when I used Test the Server.  I have another IP Camara of another brand, and it also didn't work.  Please mind you that I used Fixed IP address on these cameras, and I used Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers.

IPCamErrorMsg.png

Hello, @tyuen001

Thank you for posting the screenshots. For your IP Cam, is there a place or field where you can select "SSL". For rogers.com emails, SSL is a requirement. 

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

What authentication options are available?

If the thing won't do SSL, which it really should, you might be able to reach Google's servers unencrypted on port 587. Port 25 outbound is blocked on Rogers (and every other residential ISP) due to spammers...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yup.. like the others said.. if the camera can not choose SSL.. than that is where the issue is.
You have the right port.. but its not trying to create a SECURE connection.

I've Been Around

@tyuen001 wrote:

Thanks for looking into this.  I have the Rocket Modem.

Outlook Express Server Tab;

OutlookEx1.png

Outlook Express Advanced Tab

OutlookEx2.png

IP Cam Email Set Up

IPCameraSetUp.png

IP Cam Error Message when I used Test the Server.  I have another IP Camara of another brand, and it also didn't work.  Please mind you that I used Fixed IP address on these cameras, and I used Google's 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as DNS servers.

IPCamErrorMsg.png

Not sure if you still have the problem.  I stumbled on this post trying to solve a similar issue with my NVS ip camera software. 

I noticed on your SMTP Login name (on the ip camera email setup) you have your email address.  If you look at your email settings in Outlook, the login name is usually everything BEFORE the "@" symbol in your email address (at least it is with mine).  You might want to give that a shot to see what happens....

I've Been Here Awhile

I think the problem was with my cameras as opposed to Rogers' SMTP server.   I ended configured a mail server at home to relay the mail to Rogers' SMTP server instead. 

Thank you for all the help.

I've Been Around

I am in the same boat as that of you, but I am unsure about what you meant by " I ended configured a mail server at home to relay the mail to Rogers' SMTP server instead. "