OpenDNS Content Filtering not working after Rogers added IPv6

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

OpenDNS Content Filtering not working after Rogers added IPv6

About 2 days ago, I noticed that the content filtering I had setup with OpenDNS was not working. I checked the DNS settings on the HITRON CGN3 and nothing was changed there. I then seeked help of the OpenDNS community and based on some tests it came light that the outgoing traffic from my location has IPv6 addressing now which then does not allow OpenDNS content filtering to work. 

My questions are:

How or can I disable IPv6 on HITRON CGN3? OR How can I just send DNS traffic over at IPv4?

This is urgent/critical. Please help!

Khalid 

*Edited Labels*

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: OpenDNS Content Filtering not working after Rogers added IPv6

IPv6 is a little out of my expertise.
Perhaps @Datalink might have some ideas.

I know the rogers modems are starting to provision IPv6 addresses for the modem.. but not sure about internally?

That would be one question... is your device getting an IPv6 address from the CGN3?
If so, turning off IPv6 on the device, would force it to only use IPv4.. but i am not sure.. it may then still just translate and do ipv6 then out of the modem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There is no way for the end user to disable IPV6 in the modems.  I'm wondering if that can be done by tech support, but I need to know the exact model of modem that you have.  Can you look at the back of the modem, specifically at the model type.  It should be one of CGN3, CGN3AMR, CGN3ACR, CGN3ACSMR or possibly CGNM-3552. 

If you use OpenDNS's web filtering for a pc or laptop you can turn off IPV6 in that device, and possibly for other devices as well.  For a pc or laptop, navigate to START ..... CONTROL PANEL .... Network and Sharing Center .... Change Adapter Settings.  If you have a wifi capable laptop that also has an ethernet port, or that uses a USB to Gigabyte adapter, you will have to do the next steps for both or all adapters.  Right click on the device adapter and select Properties to bring up the path Properties, ie: Ethernet Properties, Wifi Properties, etc.  Scroll down and uncheck the Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) checkbox.  Hit Ok at the bottom and then close all of the panels, and reboot the device.  It will no longer use IPV6.

OpenDNS have indicated for about the last three to four years that they are working on IPV6 filtering, but there hasn't been any indication publicly that they are doing anything, so, its anyone's guess as to what the current status is.  The same applies to other internet filtering companies.  Its surprising that several years after the introduction of IPv6, that various companies who filter content for IPV4, don't appear to be ready, willing or able to provide that service for IPV6.  So, its not just an OpenDNS problem.  Beyond something like OpenDNS, your looking at setting up something like a pfSense firewall and using the security capability of the various add-ons to provide filtering services.  Perhaps someone who uses pfSense could provide more insight. 

The other way to deal with this is to run the modem in Bridge mode and use a router with IPV6 disabled.  That way, all of the devices on the network will be unable to use IPV6.   If you go down this path, buy a router that has gigabit LAN and WAN ports and external antenna.  Netgear product filter IPV6 ICMP, so, I don't recommend their routers as IPV6 requires ICMP to operate correctly.  Asus routers allow you to enable / disable IPV6 and they do work correctly with IPV6.  I don't keep track of other router companies in terms of their router capabilities so you would have to so some research if you were considering a product from another company.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for quick and detailed reply. I have a HITRON CGN3ACSMR from Rogers. I can setup the network with the HITRON just as a bridge and a separate Wifi Router (ASUS) with IPv6 disabled but I would like to avoid doing this arrangement.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have sent in a query regarding tech support's ability to disable IPV6.  I don't know if that is possible, and if it is, it might depend on the modem model at this point in time. 

Fwiw, if you load Merlin's AsusWRT on an Asus router, that gives you the ability to use different DNS services for specified devices on your network, so you could use OpenDNS for some, and google or something else for other devices.  Merlin's firmware is based on the AsusWRT, but it has added features such as this. 

https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki

http://www.snbforums.com/forums/asuswrt-merlin.42/

I Plan to Stick Around

This is an old thread, but still relevant, I think. I'm on Rogers but only joined the ipv6 universe a couple of weeks ago after a firmware upgrade to my aging Hitron CGN3ROG modem.

If you simply want to enable your OpenDNS DNS filtering again, disabling ipv6 is completely unnecessary. Instead, configure the DNS settings on the modem manually to the ipv4 OpenDNS servers, 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220. Don't configure the ipv6 DNS server. For the Hitron this is on the Basic / DNS page.

With this configuration, all DNS queries will be directed to the OpenDNS filtering servers, and will be done over ipv4 so will have your modem's WAN-facing ipv4 address enabling them to be matched to your OpenDNS Umbrella account and filter settings. Problem solved.