Not able to get IPv6 address on Hitron

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Not able to get IPv6 address on Hitron

Today I was able to replicate this issue by changing DNS from Auto to Manual and put cloudflar DNS 1.1.1.1 / 1.0.0.1. 

As soon as I updated DNS Hitron stopped sending IPv6 RA. WAN interface still got IPv6 address but LAN side RA stopped coming in.

I changed back DNS to Auto and IPv6 started working again. 

@AdverselyDriven wrote:

My router shows an ipv6 address but that's not what is being broadcast when I browse an ipv6 site. When I look up my ipv6 address on the internet it's the address the router has assigned my PC. If I connect with my laptop, it'll be a different ipv6 address than my PC. 

@Datalink Is this the tunneling you're speaking of? It'd be nice if the ipv6 address from the router was as stable as the ipv4 address, meaning it would stay the same for a long block of time.

Is this what commonly happens? I have some servers that I routinely connect to and like to lock it down to an ip address. I can live with the fact that while the ipv4 address is not static, it doesn't change very often. However, the ipv6 address assigned to my pc or laptop by the router changes frequently.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Not able to get IPv6 address on Hitron

My issue was with the dhcp client. Several claim to support ipv6, but do not support all methods of obtaining ipv6. And definitely not how Rogers does it. dhcpcd 6.11.5 worked. (keep in mind, some linux distributions have not updated dhcpcd in some time, older versions do not work).