cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Node Congestion

flash67
I'm here a lot

Rogers has identified node congestion in my neighbourhood and has done nothing about it for a year

I've been dealing with an issue for almost a year now at home with high latency, packet loss and sometimes absolutely no internet.

I initially called Rogers about this back in May 2019.  It wasn't until January of 2020 that they identified congestion on the node with too many modems and and apparently scheduled service.

It's been delayed 3 times now and apparently it's schedule for May 2020 with absolutely nothing confirmed.

Why do I have to wait this long to use my internet properly?  The only reason this became an issue is because of a new subdivision developed just south of me.  Nothing was done before or after the subdivision was completed.

My town is small, we have two internet providers, Rogers and Bell... Tek Savy is an option but it uses Rogers infrastructure.   Bell doesn't offer fibe and the max we can get is DSL at 10mbps down and .5 mbps up.

SO I AM STUCK.  Completely stuck until Rogers fixes this issue.  I am a healthcare worker who is on call and this pandemic has only made the issue worse.  I am on call for a hospital and I cannot even remotely connect back to my work to service something, I always have to mobile hotspot with my cell phone who is provided by Telus.

My Telus LTE connection is better then my Rogers gigabit connection.... How does that make sense?

I have an extensive call history with Rogers for this and the amount of time I've had to commit for them to eventually diagnose the problem... I could easily be a full time Rogers technician.

I eventually will be going to a news outlet or the CRTC to have this issue brought to light because I am not the only one on my street with this problem.  There is a petition in my neighborhood for Rogers and it has over 10,000 signatures. 

Anyone else have any input?

***Added Labels***

37 REPLIES 37

Re: Node Congestion

MEIR22
I've been here awhile

The last few weeks - once or twice a day - we lose connection to all devices in the house for about a minute or two - and then it goes back. During that time all devices show as connected - the modem is flashing properly as if it is working - but nothing is working. Happens every day at least once - sometimes in middle of day and sometimes late at night. Frustrating as we lose zoom connection - or a whatsapp call etc. I am paying for 500 service - with Hitron modem - so top of line - but lately the service is awful. Rogers tech support noticed there is congested node in my area - so said will create ticket - but does anyone think that is the issue?

maniac
I plan to stick around

I loose connection multiple times a day. Sometimes it's for a few seconds. Sometimes it's a minute. Regardless, everything dies (Online meetings; YouTube Streaming; all my google devices go offline, etc).  Then a few seconds later everything comes back. It's so aggravating.

I've tried to have a continuous Ping running on my computer to keep an eye on it, and I see it drop packets randomly throughout the day when everything goes out.

Rogers is terrible. Tech Support actually said to me "It even happens to me sir; there are a lot of people home using internet these days."

carmelo9313
I've been here awhile
Wow I am in the exact same boat! My ticket is still open and they finally told me it was the node. They have done nothing

super_robot
I plan to stick around
I went through the same hoops at my old house and in the 4 years I was there they didn’t fix it.

A “tentative” date for the node segmentation was scheduled for this past Dec 15 but I had moved by then.

carmelo9313
I've been here awhile
It's really sad they make us pay full price and they knew there is a problem. It took months for them to even tell me about the node. They're selling broken slow internet and doing it with a smile!

super_robot
I plan to stick around
Open a dispute with CCTS

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

carmelo9313
I've been here awhile
Thank you!

AngryChicken
I plan to stick around

Sadly, I was finally compelled to open a dispute with Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS).  Our node was supposed to be relieved of its congestion (seems appropriate at this time of year!) in the summer of 2020 and when all I heard were crickets out in the fields instead of cabling and construction crews, I politely inquired in October 2020.  That's when I found that it had been pushed back and shovels wouldn't be in the ground until July 2021 - September 2021. This will be a year later than they said, and they will have the benefit of a further $1200.00 of my money while my neighbours and I wait.

I have all this documented in my private messages with the excellent Rogers staff who help us out on these forums.  It must be very saddening for them when they communicate good news to their customers based on what the core network infrastructure team tells them, only to have these hopes dashed.  

The Commission has agreed to pursue my complaint and Rogers has 15 days to reply.  I am not hopeful that they will do as promised and relieve this terrible congestion which all the stay-at-home workers and learners has created.  I hope I am pleasantly surprised, but in the meantime I've been shovelling thousands of $$ into the Rogers coffers for a service which is intermittently substandard and for long blocks of time.  I don't have any choices where I live and have been using a competitor's very reliable but dog slow DSL service as a backup for when I lose connectivity entirely.  Meanwhile, instead of reinvesting the money their subscribers are paying them for internet service on new infrastructure, Rogers instead (and cynically) rolls trucks and pays contractors to replace cables and instructs users to replace modems in the hope that the placebo effect will fool customers into thinking that everything has been fixed.  At least until the next round of outages, brutal latency, and not-exactly-realtime-because-the-network-can't-cope conference calls and FaceTime video calls with fellow locked-down loved ones.

How to open a dispute with CCTS -> https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/

I'm a network engineer, working from home like many other people, and cannot afford to not be connected.  I regularly spend hours remoting into client sites (private and public sector) and the fact that I understand the technology and how things could be made better and cannot do anything about it is deeply frustrating.

That was a great read. I have also opened a case with the CCTS. It's pretty sad they continue to take our money knowing we are not getting proper service.

How to do a test on node to see if I’m also getting congestion issues because in the last month or more we have been getting slower speeds with higher pings

super_robot
I plan to stick around

Luckily for me this neighborhood is less congested.. More than likely because BELL fibre to home is available.

People all over Toronto that I know from various neighborhoods have the same issues. A lot of people don't notice because all they do is stream spotify and Netflix. 

I assume they changed the way gaming traffic is prioritized to contain the uproar online from gamers. But the issues remain and you can expect network cuts and this will impact your VPNs, video calls, voip SIP traffic etc...

Hopefully you can get a substantial credit/monthly discount

I was in the same boat and changed neighborhoods and it is better as I mentioned. I feel your pain from the countless hours wasted trying to resolve this.

I've been with Rogers for the past year now, and all I can say is that I'm terribly disappointed in the service I got provided and I wish I never switched. I don't like talking like this but I just had to in this case because it feels like I'm being scammed. I have been using the 500mbps download speed package the past year, and on a good day, the best I can get is 200 maybe 150mbps. I contacted Rogers customer support over 25+ times and none of their resolutions have help. Including factory resets and using ethernet or using home pods. None have worked. Whenever gaming if I'm lucky I could get maybe 70-100 ping but usually over 150+ ping. I've been told that there is a lot of congestion in my area but it will clear up in 24-48 hours but it's been about a month since they said that and still haven't gotten my update text that they said I'll get after 24 - 48 hours. Really dishonest which I don't appreciate at all. 

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @GChoi!

It's disheartening to hear that you've been delivered such misinformation pertaining to congestion relief timelines :(. I'll be happy to assist by providing some clarification.

Regarding the speeds you're currently experiencing, to validate if your modem is receiving the appropriate speeds you can follow the steps outlined here. This will give you a better idea of what's occurring so that if there's an issue you'll have the information available to assist in seeing it resolved.

Latency wise it's important to note that Rogers is unable to action "visible" latency below 100ms within our network. Visible pertaining to replicable and viewable via traceroute on command prompt/terminal. You can read more about troubleshooting latency here.

If there is congestion in your area (impacting your upstream) this can lead to reduced performance on both download and upload speeds and will take longer than 48 hours to resolve. If a ticket has been escalated for you then you would receive a status update on that ticket in 48 hours however ticket status notifications cannot provide information or updates on congestion relief at this time. The most reliable timeline for congestion relief is 6 months (can vary/be longer) due to the requirement of permits, new equipment installation etc. 

I would be happy to confirm if there is actually congestion impacting your area as it is difficult to determine with the information you've provided. You're welcome to reach out via a PM @CommunityHelps at your convenience and I'll take a look. For more information on our PM system you can check out our blog here.

@RogersAndy

doreenmccann193
I've been around
In our very small community, on the coast of newfoundland, according to Rogers, we lose internet and cable daily because of congestion. I was actually told the cause was if there are 3 or 4 persons using Internet etc, at the same time, than I cannot connect. I am always notified over and over that problem is solved and closed. Is it? No, because it continues to happen to daily. The only resolution is to add more connections/resources. I pay the same for my internet package as persons in huge cities, yet I don't get the same service. Final note, I have asked to have my old contact number removed from my account (30-40 requests, no lie) and yet it is still there, as it was when I called today. Always told the same thing, it's no longer there and yet....I haven't had that number in at least 4 years.

dmfan
I plan to stick around

I am sorry to hear the problems that you folks have.  I makes me realize how lucky I am in my area.

Hello, @doreenmccann193

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

We appreciate you posting your concerns. I can imagine how frustrating it is to deal with these congestion issues. We definitely want to take a look at this for you and try to find a solution. We'll also be happy to ensure that the incorrect contact number has been removed from your file.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your information and get started on this for you. If you are not familiar with our private messaging system please click here.

We look forward to hearing from you.

RogersTony

ginnipig
I've been around

Just put in my complaint, been dealing with the same 'congested node' for about 8 months now. I was content on just waiting more, but the bloodsuckers just raised my bill from 93 to 120 and I'm done... I pay for gigabit just to make up the difference to get a little better connection. Time to try something new.

Topic Stats