cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet when I'm using 2.4Ghz only

MycohF
I've been here awhile

This all started when I received the new Rogers Rocket Modem to support higher internet speeds. Since getting the modem, I've had multiple issues with my smart switches..namely, I can't connect them to the "new" wifi network.

I did some quick troubleshooting and the smart switches need to have a 2.4Ghz network...so I did some more research and it seems like band steering is NOT working, as the lights will connect, and then turn off after a while by themselves (seemingly disconnecting from the network)

Thus I went into the modem settings and turned off band steering, and even turned off my 5G internet - the 2.4Ghz wifi had a signal, but no internet connection. When trying to connect to the 2.4Ghz wifi on my phone is obtains an IP address forever...perhaps I am not testing this correctly? Anyone else have any suggestions?

**Added Labels**

5 REPLIES 5

Re: No internet when I'm using 2.4Ghz only

RogersCorey

Hello and welcome to our Community @MycohF!

My name is Corey and I can help troubleshoot your 2.4G connection here.

In a situation like this, I would recommend a factory reset to ensure that there isn't something wrong with your settings that may be preventing the 2.4G network from allowing an Internet connection.

It's my experience that older 2.4G only devices don't play well with Band Steering so you will need to make sure it's disabled after the factory reset.

Regards,

RogersCorey

MycohF
I've been here awhile

Just to be clear -  a factory reset of the modem correct? How can I do this?

I've already unplugged it and waited 10s before powering back on.

You can find instructions on how to factory reset your modem here: https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/factoryresetmodem-cgn3

Regards,

RogersCorey

Did this work? I'm having the exact same issue. I follow the instructions and created two networks. One 2.4 and one 5.0. The modern seems to allow only certain apps internet access on the 2.4 network. When I use my phone. For instance, The Facebook app has total internet access, but chrome has no access.

Right now I'm trying to book up my BLINK system with no luck.

Hi @Jgw22,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for joining this conversation!

Connectivity issues are never fun, and we do hope some of the information provided here can assist you. Can you please try the steps to factory reset the modem provided by RogersCorey in the 3rd post and let us know if that does help to resolve your issue? 

Also, with connecting certain wireless devices such as Blink, you may need to disable Band steering after the factory reset to ensure it can connect to the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi.

Please let us know if that does help resolve your issue.

Regards
RogersJermaine

Topic Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 in conversation