No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

We do have two Rogers PVRs, but they are older Explorer models rather than the newer Nextbox units.  As for splitters, you actually helped me look into that when I first started the journey of diagnostics haha, it was initially wired into an unnecessary secondary splitter in the 7dB port, so it was at 10.5dB of loss total, whereas now we only have one splitter in use and the modem is in the 3.5dB port.  Since around April, the numbers for our upstream have been around 42-43 dBmV, and 45-46 this summer, and the splitter was swapped for a new one in a tech visit early this year so I’m guessing it is high due to some other factor.  

Glad to hear that all looks good on the other signal levels, and that is encouraging that it implies older equipment being replaced in the area! I’ll definitely reach out to Andy and see if he can look into the extra data to check that all is good there.

Yeah I’d become aware of it resetting the signal levels during the process, it is unfortunate as I’d regularly check the levels to see if anything stuck out or changed, but I can say that prior to the firmware update not allowing access to the page, the numbers all have been relatively consistent with the one’s I’ve posted. Additionally it has been a few hours since I re-plugged it and the numbers are basically identical, the downstream signal strength numbers appear to all be around .2 or .3 higher but are similar to what I’ve seen in the past months, lowest being around -1 and the rest averaging 2-5dBmV. When talking to support the other day, the modem purposely hadn’t been re-plugged in a couple weeks, and nothing was noteworthy enough for the representative to bring that up either.

I’ll definitely run those ping tests again to see what they find as I haven’t done them in a while, we’ve just been doing quick ping tests to www.google.com through Mac OS’s network recently. I’ll update with some of those results later.

That is unfortunate in regards to throttling, but I guess I can understand it as the infrastructure wouldn’t account for the unprecedented amount of usage during Covid, thankfully I have just enough physical storage to not need offsite backups currently, but it is something I’ve been looking into.

I agree with your points on the CGN3 and will contact them in regards to that after hopefully confirming the OFDM results with Andy, and either way would prefer to keep the newer unit for what it is worth. During the tech visits pre Covid we had the RG6 ends cut and connectors replaced, along with the new splitters and new section of external RG6, but there is still a small section that wasn’t replaced and the overhead line could be aging, so I’ll try to push for a tech to be dispatched if we continue to experience the issues.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help and give your input, cheers!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out

Running a ping test of 3600 pings to the CTMS resulted in only 2 packets lost, and to the DNS there were 0 packets lost.  The minimum ping to the CTMS was 3ms with a max of 98ms and an average of 9ms, and to the DNS it was min 2ms, max 41ms, avg 8ms, but if I understand the part about timing you mentioned the firmware update means that the ping times displayed aren't necessarily accurate. 

It is odd as we definitely have had issues with even light internet usage i.e. video streaming via Youtube, Netflix, Amazon Prime TV and other apps that pause and buffer frequently, so I'd assume it is an issue with our internet and not the apps, but based on the results of those tests I guess it would imply we don't have any issues in regards to the cabling.  That likely means that any issues we are experiencing are due to external factors and likely related to what others have been discussing since around January if I'm understanding everything correctly.  The only thing I can think of that might be affecting the tests is that I had to reset the modem the day before running them to access the DOCSIS WAN information, so the soft reset may have helped mask the issue, but I know we haven't seen packet loss in tests even when run at the same time that we are experiencing the buffering/disconnection issues.

In the meantime I'll see if I can get any information on the OFDM channel health in case it might point to some issue.