New WIFI WPA2 vulnerability -- modem updates coming?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New WIFI WPA2 vulnerability -- modem updates coming?

If the modem is running in gateway or bridge mode it shouldn’t be affected. My understanding is only devices running in client mode are affected.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you Dave! As a Roger's customer, I appreciated your DETAILED response to the forum.
I'm a Senior Advisor

The update is great and thorough, but my concern is with the following:

Since the vulnerability exist in a process call the 4-way handshake (between the client and access point), it is important to ensure that both sides are patched. This means that you should ensure to apply all the available security fixes from Microsoft, Apple, Google, etc. on computers, tablets and smartphones. Keep an eye open for updates available on other connected devices (thermostat, TV, fridges…).

Consider my LGG4 on version 6.0.1  it is on security patch level 2016-07-01

Will there be any type of update pushed out for phones on prior to version 7.0?

Forbes has a very good article on how to check devices https://www.forbes.com/sites/leemathews/2017/11/08/google-patches-android-against-nasty-krack-wifi-b...

Reviewing Google and LG patch information, they are supporting patches only back to the G5 that I can see.

The two methods recommended if your devices are not patched is to use a VPN, and when browsing, do not send any secure information over any site that is not secured as HTTPS.

Anyone aware of any other recommendations for security of you have devices that do not have patches.

See also this article.

https://www.wired.com/story/krack-wi-fi-wpa2-vulnerability/

Bruce

I've Been Here Awhile

I cannot find any news that the patch for this (KRACK) was deployed.  I use CGNACR in Bridge mode with router on top of it (router firmware has patch).  The firmware I have for hitron cgn3acr is 4.5.8.33. 

Please indicate if I am good or not as I have seen that vulnerability can be exploited while in bridge mode. 

Highlighted

Hello @sgardner2088,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! 😃

Ensuring your devices are up-to-date and protected from potential cyber attacks due to vulnerabilities is paramount so we definitely want to look into this for you and provide some assurance.

As per Post 19 of this thread, our former network architect @RogersDave has confirmed that the CGN3ACR is not impacted by the KRACK exploit as of October 20th, 2017 at 10:00 AM.

Your modem should be safe from this vulnerability, I hope this helps!

RogersTony