New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Well today I logged onto the modem, and found that the status now shows the Google DNS values properly.  Also unlike the previous day, the wireless security settings are placed on a separate tab rather than being part of the first screen.  So it looks like it picked up a new firmware sometime yesterday.

I've Been Around

Hi there, I'm having problems with my daughters new hitron modem, she moved into her new house and Rogers installed her new modem the hitron cde-30364. Prior to that she was on my network which used the smc modem. Her pc worked when she left, now I can't get the browser ( Firefox or IE ) to work. The modem works wirelessly I have used COD wirelessly and it works fine. My phone works fine, also her iPad. According to the pc, the network connection is fine also. Strange thing is, if I fire up Utorrent, it will carry on downloading. It seems like port 80 is blocked, tried turning firewall on and off, that didn't work.
Has anyone any suggestions before I spend a few hours on e phone with tech support.

Thanks in advance.
Chris
I've Been Around

I also am having problems with new modem hitron cde-30364. Everything is working fine with wireless devices ie iPad,iPhone,and laptop. However my desktop Dell computer's Internet is too slow, taking more than 5 mins to load a page, and even then not all the images appear on the page. I was told by Rogers to update my XP by visiting and downloading the XP tool from a website. But my net is so slow it won't allow me. I was also told if I purchase Windows 8 this will solve my problem. But speaking to an IT friend of mine he said that might not fix the problem. Before I waste my money on Windows 8, is there any other issue it may be? My desktop was working fine the days before the new modem and there were no viruses.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

COULD be botched network ports on the hitron.

have you tried replacing the cable between the hitron and the PC? and try changing ports on it as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think this modem looks like a conference call appliance on my desk lmao

The lights face me too so I feel like I should push them like buttons.

I'm an Advisor

@VJL1555:

upgrading to Windows 8 is definitely an option.  But have you considered upgrading to Windows 7?  You will be able to find Windows 7 upgrades out there for reasonable prices.  I have been running Windows 7 for about two years now, and am quite happy with it.

But do make sure that you have the hardware resources on your computer to run the newer Windows releases, including processor, memory and disk space.  Anecdotally, it is well-known that the longer one runs Windows on a computer, the slower it becomes.  Perhaps, all you need to do is a fresh install of your Windows XP.

Windows XP is quite a different experience from any later Microsoft version of Windows, such as Vista, Windows 7, etc.  Personally, I have used, and then upgraded from, Windows Vista on my current laptop.  I found Windows 7 to be much better than Vista.  Windows 7 uses fewer resources, disk space, etc. than Vista.  It is clear to me that Microsoft has been making major changes to Windows since the release of XP.  Vista was an attempt at sigificant "improvements".  Windows 7 was a definite improvement over Vista, and incorporated much that was learned from the Vista experiences.

It seems that every second Microsoft Windows release is a good one.  XP has definitely been good, as has Windows 7.  Vista I am not so sure about.  That gives me concerns about Windows 8.

So, if you need to upgrade Windows, do consider Windows 7.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi, I have a question for you. I'll try to explain what is happening. We recently made the switch to the Hitron. We have two laptops in our house and two iPhones. I also regulary bring my work laptop (a Mac) at home. While I barely had any problems in the past, since installing the Hitron, connection has bothersome. I know Rogers has been having some problems in this area, so I'll chalk that up to coincidence. However, over the past two weeks, every  single time I bring my work computer home, I lose connection both on my personal computer and the work computer. My daughter's computer and our two iPhones continue to be connected. I think it may be some kind of ip conflict but I can't figure it out. I read through this forum and haven't been able to find anything. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar problem or could point me out in some direction? Thanks! 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While its POSSIBLE its an IP problem.. i am more inclined to think not.
If everything is set to DHCP to auto grab, there is an abundance of adresses, its not like it should be giveing out multiples, etc.

without seeing more details on your network (the ip's at the time, etc).. its hard to say.

I am more inclined, to think its the poorer wireless, on the hitron (and ALL gateways modems).  It may just be having a cow, that there are x many devices on, and and its trying to do too much.. and is droping some (the others may stay on, if say they were the FIRST to connect?).

As with most other 'fixes' for this.. most people are tending to use their own wireless router for the wireless instead, and using the hitron just as a modem.. as the wireless on the 3rd party routers are MUCH more robust, and handle the traffic much better, as well as having better range, etc.

(and yes, this SHOULD be un-necessary.. since we are getting a gateway, for the purpose THAT it has all that built in.. it tends to be the best way to get results)

I've Been Here Awhile

thank you GdKitty. True, I didn't give you much information. Everything is indeed set up DHCP-auto. The thing that is REALLY baffling is that I DID put the Hitron in bridge mode and plugged in a stand-alone router (LinkSys). Guess what? Everything worked fine (2 personal laptops, 2 iPhones), until I fired up my work laptop (the Mac). Then, bang, same problem... Anyways, it's confusing and frustrating, especially since everything always worked fine pre-Hitron. My solution will be to leave work, at work. ;-) Thanks again. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh.. that does sound odd...

THat it does work the same.. with it in bridged mode.. sounds like the MAC may be the culprit.. WHAT.. i dont know Smiley Sad

Real test i guess would be, try someone elses say laptop, a different computer, and try adding it to the mix, and see if it happen as well.