New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Hey everyone, thanks for the help! We'll be doing the bridge thing and getting a new router in February, so I'll probably come back then to let you know how that went.

I'm not sure what our previous router was, might have been a Netgear I didn't get a chance to see the name. In general, do most routers have good wireless? I suppose when we go to bestbuy we'll either get the same router we had before which worked well or ask bestbuy what the best brand is. 

Even when in basements, do most routers give you really fast internet wherever you are in the house? Well I'm guessing the one we had before did since we had no problems. I just can't get over how an actual Rogers modem/router makes the internet so slow sometimes when you're far away from it. The whole point of wi-fi is to be fast wherever you are.

Anyway sorry for going on! If I have any more questions I'll be back in February! 

I've Been Around

@Tasha199: "...do most routers have good wireless?..."

No.  You get what you pay for. 

In terms of range, look at the following brands and models (all can be found at Best Buy stores):

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-wireless-routers/

I own and can attest to the impressive range of the Netgear 6300.  I have 4 wired devices and 6 wifi devices.

Sorry, my response to Tasha may seem "off topic" but, I think it IS relevant.  Helping people to bridge the Rogers gateways and not provide further details of steps after the bridge will leave them qustioning the issue or perhaps heading down the wrong fork in the road.  Imagine they went off and bought a poor router that performed worse than the Hitron?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You won't hear any arguments that its a major important part 🙂

Just this thread is on the Hitron, so someone in the future who read might get confused by some other side information.

Best in those cases to start a new thread asking the sort of seperate topic 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

It seems that the answer to all issues with this modem is, "run it in bridged mode and use your own 3rd party router."

This is perfectly fine with me - but here's the thing, since we're doing that anyway, why doesn't Rogers just wake up and offer a simple, standalone modem-only DOCSIS 3.0 modem? Or at the very least, allow us to use our own on their network? For example, the Motorola SB6121 D3 modem is supported for use on TekSavvy, which uses Rogers cable network. But Rogers won't allow us.

It makes no sense. They think they're helping out their customers, but in reality they are only making life more difficult. Sure, some basic internet users don't know any different, but we need access to some of the decent features of REAL routers, and prefer to use a simple, stand alone modem.

Is that really so much to ask for? Seriously. Get it together already. This is super frustrating... especially since my neighbour was able to activate his own D3 modem (Motorola SB 6121) on Rogers by getting some lucky rep on the phone yet I haven't been able to.

I want to be clear: it's not the rental fees etc. that bother me. It's the fact that I want to simply use a standalone modem but I can't in any way shape or form. If they support using their 'amazing' modem/router combo's in bridged mode anyway, why not let us just use a modem since that is what we actually want.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I have been saying this for some time now. It makes no sense to supply a product that only half works. It is kind of like buying a pair of jeans that only has one leg. Why force customers to use a gateway, only to disable the router and use your own? Rogers is not about helping their customers though; they are about controlling their customers!

I Plan to Stick Around

So now the internet has been faster than ever after it went out for a good part of the day. We had to call and they fixed it very fast luckily (our network disappeared and we couldn't get on the internet). I don't know what they did but it's been VERY fast since. However, last night our internet went out all night and returned in the morning. It's still very fast though, much better speeds then before. I guess this is the disconnecting problem I've heard people talk about with the modem? No way around that though, since you need their modem. 

I don't get why the internet is so fast now, even upstairs and far from the router part of it. Guess we'll see how it goes the next week or so. If it keeps up being fast we won't need a new router. Let's see if it can be consistant. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Has anyone else who still has the hitron router part functioning find that the wireless is faster and better? I don't know what happened, our network went down last week and the tech support fixed it and since it's been much faster in my room upstairs when the router/modem is in the basement. I even went to the basement with my laptop so it could be next to the router. Maybe a bit faster next to the router, but for the most part it is the same speed farther away from the modem. What in the world just happened? We thought we'd need to set it to bridge. I guess we'll see if we have more problems. o.O

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

perhaps they did a firmware update on it?

I dont own it, know what the existing/prev firmware was to be able to compare.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, for starts...

Do you configure your router/modem settings yourself, or did you just do everything automatically, like plug it in and connect after taking it out of the box, only to connect with out setting any details(automatically)?

Next, while the Rogers Tech guy was on your modem, he could have changed the channel your wi-fi is broadcasting on, like from channel 6 to 7 or 8 etc... (12 channels available) and this could have removed any interference you might of had from say something like a 2.5GHz cordless phone, or a neighbours wireless router.  If your wireless devices are auto configured, this would be an easy fix.

Just a thought.

Cheers,

Ephoie

I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm maybe they did! We're on Channel 11, is there a channel that is best? I guess we'll see. Either way with all of your help we know the solution if the speed gets to slow and we get our own router. I'm not sure what they did, but maybe they did something like that. Whatever they did it sure sped it up.