New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

This gateway actually isn't that bad (honestly not trolling), it's just that rogers cripple it.  There is some range issues, but other than that, it's pretty good gateway.  That brings me to my question, does anybody at all know how to uncripple it.  I want to set up the QOS but the settings are stored in the "advanced" tab in the wireless section, but it appears that rogers has removed that tab for the login given to us simpletons.  Because of the area I live in, there's very poor upload speeds, so our voip phone goes all garbled when somebody is on the computer, which QOS can easily fix, if only I could access it.

It also has a DLNA server, where you can plug a usb HDD into it and set it up as a DLNA server, so you can get media anywhere in your home.  It's in the "Media Server" tab in the WAN/LAN section of the setup, which again, not there in the rogers setup.  (These tabs are all available and listed in the manual btw). 

People have had some success getting rogers to enable these settings, so I know that they're still there, but apparently it's hit or miss whether their techs even know how to do it.  And I would like the option of changing them as my network needs change.  So they're obviously a way to get access to those settings, so I'm wondering if anybody has any idea how I can do that.

I already contacted rogers, and they first tried telling me that I would have to pay to get that kind of information from one of their "techxperts", then when I thought I finally had him convinced that I was seeking a solution to a problem THEY caused, he quickly said that I was a general contact on the contract, not a 1st tier contact on the contract and quit the chat session, essentially hanging up on me.  Kind of funny how I have enough access to upgrade our service, but not enough to get it working properly.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im not so sure that they CAN open up that stuff.. or even if it would be worth it.

They would essentialy have to install the original firmware back ontop of it... which sure is probably possible to do... BUT.. rogers also automaticaly pushes firmware updates out from their end... SO if you did change the firmware away from the default, likely the next time that any firmware was pushed out from rogers, it would be overwritten 😞

All in all.. likely the best bet, if you want to do QoS and DLNA, would be to get a 3rd party router, that supports those features, and run it bridged mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

All of the previous routers have had other usernames/passwords to get into the advanced stuff in order to set up the network the way you want.  I'm just looking to be able to use the modem that was advertised.  Not the more subjective stuff like speed and range (those are important, and it does not perform as advertised, I'm not denying that), but I mean the actual router that was advertised, without being crippled and having full access to a router that I own/rent.  It is in there and I need access to it.  I there anybody that has been able to get to this info or knows how?  I don't want to have to bruteforce my own router 🙂

I've Been Here Awhile

clammydog,

I have the same Hitron and Router (Asus RT-N66U). Curious to know if your settings are any different from mine. After you called Rogers, did they suggest other settings than disabling Gateway mode, and upnp to put it in brigde? Any changes of settings on your Asus Router?

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@wfegrgwrg wrote:

All of the previous routers have had other usernames/passwords to get into the advanced stuff in order to set up the network the way you want.  I'm just looking to be able to use the modem that was advertised.  Not the more subjective stuff like speed and range (those are important, and it does not perform as advertised, I'm not denying that), but I mean the actual router that was advertised, without being crippled and having full access to a router that I own/rent.  It is in there and I need access to it.  I there anybody that has been able to get to this info or knows how?  I don't want to have to bruteforce my own router 🙂

Unfortunately, rogers doesnt advertise those features.. so they arent supporting them 😞

Just like their cable boxes, while they ARE DLNA capable, etc.. rogers does not have firmware on them that works with it, etc.

If rogers wont enable it.. your only choice is to bruteforce it and apply your own firmware (which again may get overwritten), or use a 3rd party with all those features (and likely, will do it BETTER).

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers doesn't seem to want to enable any features that will make their customers happy. All their modems are garbage and they always give some terrible excuse how they are " amazing". I can get 10times better modems then these ones here.

I am sure Rogers can enable anything via firmware. They just don't want too. Very simple.
I've Been Here Awhile

The whole things rediculous.  The firmware is there, it's jost not accessible.  Alot of the firmware functions that aren't visible are required to run the gateway, so they are there, just "invisible".  It's like Microsoft disabling the ability to use a 3rd party word processor with Windows, they don't support it, so why should they allow it to be used with their OS?  There is a HUGE difference between not supporting an end user doing something, and disabling their ability to do so.  One is common sense trade practices, the other is malicious sabotage.

I've Been Around

IHR: "Before I would commit to this modem, I would like to see some reviews."

Here, let me give you a quick one:

They gave us this gateway after we complained our Cisco one kept dropping connection. Now this Hitron one doesnt drop connection, but has terrible wireless range. Our desktop computer is located in our basement, while we have a laptop on the main floor, and a second desktop upstairs. The downstairs desktop is the only one with a wired connection, and therefore  the upstairs desktop has SUPER SLOW internet connection. So in short, Rogers will solve your claim as minimally as possible, before presenting you with another problem 😕

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@soosmar wrote:

Here, let me give you a quick one:

They gave us this gateway after we complained our Cisco one kept dropping connection. Now this Hitron one doesnt drop connection, but has terrible wireless range. Our desktop computer is located in our basement, while we have a laptop on the main floor, and a second desktop upstairs. The downstairs desktop is the only one with a wired connection, and therefore  the upstairs desktop has SUPER SLOW internet connection. So in short, Rogers will solve your claim as minimally as possible, before presenting you with another problem 😕

This is unfortunately, the reason that many users end bypassing the gateway portion all together, and using their own 3rd party one.

Its the nature of these gateways.. they tend to suck.

But having them in bridged mode, and your own router.. they tend to be fairly solid.

I Plan to Stick Around

@gabaudan wrote:

clammydog,

I have the same Hitron and Router (Asus RT-N66U). Curious to know if your settings are any different from mine. After you called Rogers, did they suggest other settings than disabling Gateway mode, and upnp to put it in brigde? Any changes of settings on your Asus Router?

Thanks

No changes to the Asus router and no suggestions from the CSR. To get into bridge mode I unchecked the 'upnp' and 'gateway' boxes under the 'capability' tab (I think that's what it was labeled). Nothing else. I'm using Asus firmware v3.0.0.4.220. After the Rogers network recognized the Hitron I rebooted the Asus and ran the Quick Internet Setup. That's it. Apart from the security settings I'm running the Asus with the default settings. So far so good. 

Cheers,

-clammydog

-clammydog
I'm NOT a Rogers employee, my comments are my own.