New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

I'm thinking of replacing my Cisco gateway with this one today.  I currently have a free modem for 1 year and hope they don't screw up the account.  

Does anyone know if thhis this new model has parental controls available, I really miss having them when I had the SMC from Rogers (the Cisco didn't have that functionality).

I've finished my basement and have a network cable running from the top floor where the Rogers gateway currently is to the basement.  I'd like to have the ability to put hard wire a wireless access point to it and be able to use the same SSID in the entire house.  Any suggestions.  

I'm a Senior Advisor

@insanity Apple's AirPortExpress is really easy to do this with. I'm sure there may be other cheaper ways though this is what I use.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I know it will sound surprising, but the airport is one of the cheaper alternatives, that works well as an access point.

Some other routers, can act like this as well, but you may have to check the models Iif they do or not before buying.

I've Been Here Awhile

Update:

I replaced my Cisco with the Hitron last night.  Here are my observations:

1) It's much larger in size than the Cisco and SMC

2) Configuration is fairly straightforward with the menu.  One quirk I found was that after some configuration changes the router seemed to lock up and I had to physcially unplug it and plug it back in to activate again.  In fact there were a few times where I made config changes and internet access on my wireless devices stopped working.  A soft reboot of the gateway didn't work, I had to unplug/replug it back in for internet access to be restored.

3) Speed wise I didn't notice a major difference nor did I notice a difference in wireless range, I was getting same speeds/range as the Cisco I had from Rogers.  I've got mine configured for 'Auto' channel and 'WPA2, TKIP & AES' for encryption.

4) I don't see a configuration item in the router menu to turn this into a bridge

5) Parental controls are working on this.  You have a choice of typing in keywords or websites.

I've Been Here Awhile

Forgot to mention that the USB port apparently can be used to plug in an external HD to share content with other. Haven't tried this yet.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Parental controls are something that has been asked a few times, so that is a good thing.

I've Been Around

Im really disppointed...

i just got the Hitron, i actually think i get far better range with my previous owner...

also .. everytime u updated it.. it stops working for a while...

regardless im sick and tired of rogers and the service they provide.... the routers rogers sell should be top quality and proven.tested and ready to go... but instead its been almost 3 yrs in this new house... and i have to carry the **bleep**in router downstairs to play ps3.. cause my range aint good

I'm a Senior Advisor

Machado wrote:

regardless im sick and tired of rogers and the service they provide.... the routers rogers sell should be top quality and proven.tested and ready to go... but instead its been almost 3 yrs in this new house... and i have to carry the **bleep**in router downstairs to play ps3.. cause my range aint good

It is very disappointing indeed to read your post. It seems like every time that Rogers introduces a new modem (gateway), people get their hopes up. First it was the CISCO and the hopes of people using the SMC. Now it is the Hitron and the hopes of people using either the SMC or the CISCO and some of the early reports on the Hitron do not look good at all. Why, for the life of me Rogers cannot simply provide people with a good stand alone D3 modem is beyond my comprehension. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I have a DPC3825.  I use it in bridge mode ( wireless off, DHCP off) in front of a Dlink 655.  This combo works ok, speed good, wireless (from the dlink) good.   An ancient Linksys BEFSR41 as an additional 4 port switch and an equally ancient WRT54G running DDWRT as a WIFI range extender to the basement.

Anyway one thing no one has mentioned.     Does the Hitron do Rogers tunneled IPV6, 6 to 4 or 6rd out of the box?   I don't know if the Cisco does as I am in bridge mode.  I would like to know if anyone has this working.

My Dlink does both and is rock solid on Rogers 6RD and I expect when they roll out native IPV6 it will work then as well.   If the new box does not do IPV6 properly then why would I want one?

I too would far prefer a solid stand alone DOCSIS 3 modem with no gateway or wireless init.  Please Rogers....

I've Been Here Awhile

Machado:

I posted a similar experience in my post.  I seem to have to unplug/replug the router back in for config changes to work.  I haven't had a problem with range however.