New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

no alternatives to any of the woefully lacking D3 devices from Rogers. Many of us are hopeful that some day they will come to their senses and provide customers with a decent D3 modem!

What a novel idea! Thinking like a customer instead of an arrogant monopoly.  Maybe someday it will occur to them.

I've Been Around

It is another poor wireless range and dropped connections (worse than ever) believe me, im so fustrated, it drops connection 5 times a day. I know it is this modem as I had no probs previously.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Putting it in bridged and using your own router should usually resolve this.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

You nailed it in the head!  I was on the phone with the Rogers support today and they recommended that I upgrade my modem from D3 to the Netgear to get the offer speeds and usage allowances.  The support person seem to MAKE believe that they have the best wireless modem.  I start to wonder if there is any Rogers resp. reading this forum.  They seem to live in their own world.

After reading this forum and many others that have bad reputation with Rogers Modem, there is no way that I will switch to Netgrear modem.

My other options is to swap to Bell Five TV. But, I have yet to do enough research on the Fibe TV to jump into it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Other people have said good things about it.

But one thing to know is those use a gateway device as well, so similar problems may come up and it's harder to add a 3rd party router.

Teckyong, with the current Rogers ones you can choose to put them into bridged mode and use your own router, so basically the same setup as most already have, and gaining the speed/bandwidth.

I've Been Around

I have just purchased a ASUS N900 RT-N66U Wireless Router because the Hitron's wireless signal could not reach all to my 2nd floor bedroom. I would suggest buying a Router to "help" the Hitron. I have great wireless range in the bedroom now and hope that Rogers will upgrade their Modem's !!!

Just wanted to let people know that it would work better with an actual Router...

I would like to say that In my opinion, this modem is horrible.

BRIDGE MODE !!!!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Your experience ktm_girl is well documented both here and on other forums. People have been discussing the poor performance of ALL gateway modems provided by Rogers. It really is a shame, because the older D2 modems were rock solid but ever since Rogers switched to the D3 gateway modems, there have been nothing but complaints and Rogers refuses to listen or do anything about these complaints. That means customers like yourself and many others are forced to use bridge mode and their 3rd party router to get a decent wireless Internet connection! Smiley Mad

I Plan to Stick Around

If I were to bridge my Hitron and activated my DLink router again and found that I needed a newer router (DLink is old) can I reverse it back until I get a newer Netgear or Asus router when I can afford it? 

I also bought a wireless range extender and it doesn't work, probably because of the Hitron not allowing WPS through.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes you can reverse it. You have to do a hard reset on the gateway. Hold the reset button for a good 15+ seconds.
Worse case you can call in and Rogers can remotely reset it for you.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I have Hi-Speed Extreme Plus and rent the SMC modem right now and a Rogers technician told me the other day that I could improve things by using "our faster modem", but never specified the model number.  My fault, I should have asked.  He suggested I swap it at my nearest store.  

I have the SMC in Bridged Mode as I use my own high-speed router and of course I would need to have the new one also in bridged mode.

Is this model the one he was referring to?  Will it make any difference to wired connection speeds?  Is it worth the bother of changing the modems?

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto