New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

the reason they want you to hard wire is to find out if the problem is with the connection or if its simply interference because that can deffinatly happin, my babys video moniter when on drops our connections speed thruout the whole house from 30 mbps to just under 2 mbps. so as u can see their is many variables, they have to start of wired to diagnose properly. and as far as you saying that they wont tell you that the reuter part of the boxes are garbage but they acctually do, ive had a couplerogers ppl tell me over the phone that u could never hope to get speeds over 20mbps via wireless bcuz all rogers older cable modems can only push that much.....I have a HITRON from rogers now....they suck on signal strength but as far as the speed it carrys i can get 60-70 mbps wirelessly which is more then enough speed.....if u are expperiencing weak signal u can try a repeater or two in your house.    darren J

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Your actualy BRILLIANT!

I always wondered why my front bedroom always had poorer wireless than my master, even though they are the same distance from the wireless router.
The front bedroom is closer to my sons room, with the baby monitor.. I am pretty DERP for not thinking that it would be using a wireless frequency, and could be interfearing.

I've Been Around

I am having the same issue of devices keep disconnecting or unavailable network. I have lost hope of having it fixed since its been a year suffering with these issues and having the latest and greatest HITRON. Irony is to see these topics on Rogers own forum and having them not reacting means they don't care on customer satisfaction and rather they spend money on those adds to get new customers. Why should i spend money on another router and pay every month extra for that bogus box to use it in Bridge mode?

I am waiting for the day my contract ends and switch all my services to the other service provider.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@sarfpak wrote:

I am having the same issue of devices keep disconnecting or unavailable network. I have lost hope of having it fixed since its been a year suffering with these issues and having the latest and greatest HITRON. Irony is to see these topics on Rogers own forum and having them not reacting means they don't care on customer satisfaction and rather they spend money on those adds to get new customers. Why should i spend money on another router and pay every month extra for that bogus box to use it in Bridge mode?

I am waiting for the day my contract ends and switch all my services to the other service provider.

Just make sure to check with the other providers.  Many of the 3rd party ones allow a stand alone modem, but some of the biger ones, the ONLY option now, are gatways as well (which is very sad.. they are all aful across the board)

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@JaclynJackson:

you posted that: "...the reason they  want you to hard wire is to find out if the problem is with the connection or if its simply interference because that can deffinatly happin, my babys video moniter when on drops our connections speed thruout the whole house from 30 mbps to just under 2 mbps...".

You are right on the money!  As you point out, there are many variables.  Hardwiring your connection using an ethernet cable eliminates possible WiFi interference from the equation.  The following URL points to a report on WiFi performance as influenced by different types of interference, including other WiFi signals, video, microwave ovens, etc.  This report is now older, (dating from 2007) but it illustrates the effect of various types of radio signals commonly used on the 2.4 GHz frequency band which is used by WiFi as well.

http://media.techtarget.com/searchNetworking/downloads/Effects_of_Interference_on_General_WLAN_Traff...

This report is quite technical, but definitely worth reading, if you can take the time, and make the effort.  Their conclusions are quite informative, and probably alarming.  For example  "...Also surprising was the degree of interference between the two Wi-Fi systems. One network reduced the throughput of the other by 75%, while its own throughput was reduced by 90%...".

The moral of the story is that there are lots of 2.4 GHz radio signals out there that can and will interfere with our WiFi signals.  This makes it all the more important that we select only WiFi equipment which will withstand the effects of that interference.  Clearly Rogers is not doing this in their selection process for WiFi-capable equipment which they provide to their customers.

Another reference about this is from Cisco:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps9391/ps9393/ps9394/prod_white_paper0900aecd807...

This web page gives further warnings regarding the uncertainty of our WiFi communications.

Thus, the rule is that you need to bridge the Hitron or Cisco device you get from Rogers, and then add a router known to have good WiFi performance.

In addition, doing a periodic site survey perhaps every six months to determine what other WiFi channels are being used close to you is definitely a good practice.  In that way you can find a clear and available channel for your WiFi and hence minimize interference and maximize throughput.

This is particularly important if you are using the WiFi equipment being provided by Rogers.

skinorth

I've Been Here Awhile

Loved the article on interference caused by common devices affecting wireless connectivity and throughput. Thanks for sharing...
I've Been Here Awhile

how do you change wireless channels? i'm a noob
I Plan to Stick Around

You type in 192.168.0.1, then click on wireless, then channel and chose from the dropdown list.

I've Been Around

We got this modem last fall maybe. for our residential service  I work from home upon occassion with a hardphone and hardware VPN.  I use this gateway in bridge mode with sidecar router and have not had any issues maintaining a good connection with little jitter or latency.  Can not speak to how successful it is as a true gateway but works great bridged.

I've Been Here Awhile

PLEASE HELP!!  

I've wasted days attempting to increase the range of this Hitron Modem.  

First buying a D-link wireless range extender.....useless.

Then exchanging it for a Linksys dual-band Wireless Router....again useless (we did not get full wifi in our bedroom - same floor 40 ft from hitron)

Now I've attempted to set-up an airport express and it says nothing is connected to WAN port and detects no device unless the LAN ports are connected.

I'm at complete loss as I'm sure there has to be a simple solution