New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Hey guys, was wondering if someone with more experience with this sort of stuff then I do could help me out.  I recently picked up a Linksys EA4500 router & then picked up this Hitron modem to achieve the new bump in speed with express.  After reading this thread, I didn't even bother trying the wifi with the Hitron.  I wanted to set it up in bridge mode as most recommend doing.  So looking at the Hitron setup, I found something called "enable gateway mode".  When I unchecked this, a message poped up about this turning on bridge mode & you could lose some advanced functions, such as wifi, etc".  So I assumed this is what needed to be done to turn on bridge mode, & I should be set.

Everything seemed to function okay but it seems that daily I need to reset the modem/router as I lose the internet connection.  So what I'm wondering is if I properly put the Hitron in bridge mode (are there some additional steps I missed?) or is there another issue that I'm having with the Hitron &/or the EA4500?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately that is the only one i DONT have the experience changing Smiley Sad  That does sound correct though.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Got the Hitron yesterday, did some reading online and decided to put it right away in Bridge mode as I have a better router (asus dark night). I disabled "gateway mode" and "upnp" in settings / capabilities. I also disabled the Wireless but it seems that disabling the gateway mode did that anyway.

I then plugged the Wan /Internet port from my router to the Lan port 1 in the Hitron. I had to change the IP from the Asus router to 192.168.0.1 as they were sharing the same 192.168.0.1.

I then let my router detect the internet connection automatically. It was setup as "Automatic IP" in the Wan setting,

Since yesterday, everything works perfectly and fast, but that's just been 24h....

I'm Here A Lot

If you could post back if this continues to work for you, that would be great.

I didn't turn off upnp, when I turned gateway off, not sure if that could be an issue?

As I mentioned, as far as networking goes, my knowledge is pretty basic.  I've read you shouldn't have two devices with DHCP or NAP enabled?  With selecting gateway mode off, I'm not sure if that turns off DHCP or NAP?  I know if I turn gateway mode off I no longer have access to the Hitron properties by using 192.168.0.1 

After a second look at the Hitron manual, I see there's an option to turn HNAP (Home NAP) on/off on the same screen as the gateway mode.  I'm wondering if this should be turned off when in bridge mode?

Also, is there any way to access the Hitron settings when in bridge mode?  Or do you have to reset it back to the defaults to gain access again? 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Putting it into bridged mode.. SHOULD remove all settings.. turn off DHCP and all on it.
While i dont think changing the IP is 100% necessary when in bridged mode. its a good practice anyways, just incase, making sure the router is on a different one, then there can never be any conficts.

Once its in bridged, no there really is no way to access the settings, bar doing a full reset on it, which should put it to factory defaults with the gateway on.

I've Been Here Awhile

What settings did you input on your Router for the WAN / Internet Connection ? And you did put the ethernet cable in ths WAN / Internet port of your router, correct?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the hitron in bridged.. really the ONLY change you would possibly need/want to do, would be change that routers main IP from 192.168.0.1 likely.. to be 192.168.0.2 (so, if you ever UN bridge the gateway, you can access both the gateway at .1 and the router at .2

You will want to leave DHCP, and everything else on.. no other changes (other than your wireless security, etc)

And yes, while in bridge mode, you want it in the WAN port of the router.  Only if you were setting it up as an Access Point only, would you then put it in one of the regular switch ports.

I'm Here A Lot

My router, the Linksys EA4500 uses an IP of 192.168.1.1, so I would assume I don't have to worry about conflicts with the Hitron?

Yes, the Hitron is connected to WAN/Internet input on my router.

I will check again when I get home tonight to see if I need another reset.  I believe the network is staying connected, just losing the internet.  I do have one computer wired to my router & when I checked for internet with it last night, it too didn't have a connection.

Edit: Settings on my router are basically all the defaults.  Only settings I changed were for wifi.  I believe all the settings are basically the same as my old Linksys WRT54G I replaced.  Problem is I replaced the router & then a day later swapped modems.  So now I'm not sure what piece is causing the problem.  Might need to swap the old router back in to see what happens.

I Plan to Stick Around

And the internet seems slower.... We have two windows and a macbook upstairs, a laptop. Can the  router  work fine even with stuff that's far away from it? I swore our reuter that wasn't a Rogers brand was faster. Unless maybe Rogers is still having problems...

I'm a Senior Advisor

If you do a little research both on these forums and on other on-line forums, you will find a lot of negative reviews regarding the Rogers D3 gateway modems - with the built in router. The bottom line is that for wireless access, they are garbage. They suffer from poor range and dropped connections. Many people disable the wireless (bridge mode) and hook up their own router. Rogers is aware of the issues but will seldom admit the problems are with their equipment and so far, refuses to do anything about the issues.