New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New Rogers Gateway: Hitron CDE-30364

The Hitron does have parental controls in it and are configable.

if you make any changes to the gateway, please make sure you are doing it on a hardwire connection, if its over a wifi connection your almost guaranteed to see a interruption when you apply the changes over a wifi connection.

you can use the USB port on the hitron but it needs to be enable first as it is disable out of the box and the only way to enable it is by calling rogers, however a tech may not even enable it for you or even know how exactly as its still a fairly need device hahahaha. once it is enable im pretty sure you can connect anything to it and it just acts as another device connected to the network.

on a small side not my Ping time has improved big time since first getting this modem, i have no idea why or how or who but i am not averaging my normal ping that i used to (40-50ms on wired and wifi). my PS3 lag has reduced as well woohoo. I dont think it was me but the only thing i did was disable the built in firewall.

Rogers does have stand along docsis 3 modems, its called disable the gateway function and bingo.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@EddieDZ wrote:

Rogers does have stand along docsis 3 modems, its called disable the gateway function and bingo.

Sorry Eddie, but that is not a stand alone D3 modem. It is actually called a gar*bage D3 gateway from Rogers. If Rogers cannot provide a gateway modem that functions properly as both a modem and a router (it seems that they now have 3 of these - SMC, CISCO, and HITRON), then what is the point? A decent stand alone D3 modem would not require disabling the gateway to bridge mode. With a proper stand alone D3 modem you would attach your modem, hook up your router and BINGO!

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I'm sooo done. Had to get the Hitron because all the other Rogers modems are weak on their wifi signal output. This is no better. Why is it so difficult for a company like Rogers to supply good hardware? Why sell/rent JUNK? Why waist everyones time and money? I'm sick of tech support... "oh let's try a different channel". Ya, right, again.

How about let's try a different ISP.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Feel free to try another ISP if that's your choice, but check whic hardware thy use as well. Many now are much the same way, will usually now only give you a gateway, which while the wireless is marginally better (still not as good as a stand alone), the internal settings for it are awful to configure.

Just don't get stuck in the same thing 🙂

I'm a Senior Advisor

I know that Bell also uses a gateway. I have read reports on other forums that people do not experience the same problems that customers of Rogers do. Other than Bell though, most other independent ISPs, such as Tek Savvy and Start Communications allow customers to use a stand alone D3 modem. I agree with candu325. Rogers is selling/renting junk. First it was the SMC - junk, (Just do a Google search.) Then the Cisco - more junk. Now they introduce the Hitron and once again they get peoples' hopes up - and once again - more junk. The simple fact of the matter is (especially for all of the Rogers' apologists out there) is that Rogers could be providing people with a decent stand alone D3 modem. I am sick and tired of hearing about the work arounds, about how to put your gar*bage D3 modem into bridge mode, and about how to disable the wireless. None of this would be necessary if Rogers provided a proper modem in the first place. There are many of these available and this one gets superb reviews - if only Rogers would listen!

http://www.motorola.com/Video-Solutions/US-EN/Products-and-Services/Voice-and-Data-Consumer-Premise-...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR, none of us disagree with that, that they should, and keep pushing Rogers to do so.

But until they do, these are the options they have, and we are trying to help people do what they want the best they can with what is available.

I'm a Senior Advisor

That is all I am trying to do Gdkitty - trying to keep up the pressure on Rogers to provide customers with a decent stand alone D3 modem. I appreciate the fact that we do try to help people here by giving them the options and work arounds for the inferior equipment provided by Rogers, but wouldn't it be nice if these options were no longer necessary because Rogers finally decided to do something good for their customers?

I Plan to Stick Around

Just got this modem last night.  It has increased the range of my iPad 10 fold.  Download speeds seem to be higher.  Only problem is I use Portforward.com software to enable ports for various games.  The Hitron is not in their list of modems/routers so I must wait a day or so until tech support from Portforward  get it online.  Bummer.

My model though is CGN2-ROG

I've Been Here Awhile

FYI. They hit you up for another dollar/month on the Hitron.
I've Been Around

Got this modem, as an ugrade from the old SMC, last week wifi worked ok but Lan ports were all dead - tech support recomended a swap new one worked for 1 day then lan went down to a crawl with my XP computer wifi seems ok but may still be unstable.

BTW tech support on Monday night could not reset becauce their tools were down "please call back... " "is there anything else we can do for you tonight?"  Yes fix the problem!!