New Rogers CGN3 Modem Won't Connect to Website

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

New Rogers CGN3 Modem Won't Connect to Website

I just upgraded my modem and service and suddenly can't connect to my own website although with the previous modem no issues. Tech support has been unable to figure out although they admit that there is no problem with them accessing the URL I am trying to reach. I have a Belkin N600 router connected between the modem and desktop. Connections are unchanged from previous mode/router setup and the modem was installed by a Rogers tech (basically just a swapout). I have read varoius posts regarding similar issues but no futher ahead and nothing from Support. Any suggestions?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New Rogers CGN3 Modem Won't Connect to Website

Is this an internal web site, as in supported on your own equipment on the LAN side of the modem, or an external web site supported by a hosting company somewhere?

The Hitron modems don't support loopback, so if you are trying to access your own server using an external address that apparently won't work.

If this is an external web site, consider the possibility of a blacklisted IP address that has resulted due to the modem change.  With a new modem, you probably ended up with a new IP address, possibly one that has already been blacklisted by the hosting company.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's an external website www.jonahplace.com hosted by the same ISP as always. How would I find out if my new IP address is blacklisted? BTW I seem to be able to gain access to any other website of my choosing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Gdkitty is the expert on this issue.  I think you should be able to contact the hosting company and find out

from them if your IP address has been blacklisted.  The easiest solution in previous cases was to exchange the

modem, which resulted in an IP address change, solving the situation.  There is always the possibility of

something else causing this, but from your description of being able to access any other web site, this seems

to be the reasonable cause.

I Plan to Stick Around

OK. Appreciate your assistance to date. I am going to get hold of the ISP as I know them well and see if that means anything to their IT dept. Will update the thread once I talk with them tomorrow. l also got a message from Rogers support indicating engineering is looking into the issue as well so who knows what they find?

TTYL

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry so late to the game.. was away for most of the weekend.

Just checked at home.. on my rogers connection with a CGN3.. and i am able to access the site just fine.
Mind you.. that is using the GOOGLE DNS servers.
A DNS entry issue could cause you not to be able to find it.. if the ROGERS DNS server doesnt have a correct entry for it..
But that should happen to ANY customer then on Rogers.. regardless of modem, etc, if they are using the rogers DNS servers.

My only other thought as a possibility.. is it a regular CGN3 or a CGN3ACSMR?
@Datalink could probably confirm, but when the CGN3ACSMR came out, there were a bunch of issues of people not being able to connect to specific games, etc..  Something specific with routing specifically with that modem.
After a firmware upgrade.. it was fixed.
If you have the ACSMR model.. if it hasnt got the newest firmware yet.. perhaps that site is effected?

I Plan to Stick Around

According to the label on the modem it's a regular CGN3 model, at least no other markings that I can see. My ISP agreed that perhaps I could have been blacklisted because of a possible bot infection that was attacking their server but cannot find actual evidence of that nor after exhaustive tests on my PC is there any evidence of any malware there now or previously as I test extensively on a regular basis. Rogers Engineering says they are still working on the issue and I know my website is functioning as I am receiving contact from clients resulting through that medium. The modem has been zapped and brought back to factory reset several times with no avail. The other thing that reoccurs is that I am getting certificate errors when accessing email through Outlook which were not there prior to the modem upgrade. This is all in the last week. Perhaps I have a DUD modem? I'm at a loss.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Its possible.

Could you log into the modem and get me the firmware thats on it?

I Plan to Stick Around

What's it listed under?

I Plan to Stick Around

OK found it. 4.2.4.6