New Internet packages? Rocket WiFi Modem?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

New Internet packages? Rocket WiFi Modem?

In an interaction with Rogers a few days ago I was alerted to keep an eye on the website since some changes might be coming to Internet packages. Well it seems that is now true.

The so-called Hybrid Fibre are now replaced with "Ignite" packages. My hybrid fibre 250 is now called something different and seems to be a LOWER price (for same config - can't beat that).

But it says it comes with a "Rocket WiFi Modem".  Is this just a re-branding of the "Advanced WiFi" modem aka Hitron CGN3 or something else?

I saw some fleeting reference to a new gateway that is now AC not just N. And I just bought an ASUS AC router so maybe that was premature.....

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: New Internet packages? Rocket WiFi Modem?

Good evening  @mrbrimi ,

We are truly sorry to hear the news about the new modem has made you feel this way. Smiley Sad We do appreciate your feedback.

Your are correct, the CGN3 is compatible with our Ignite Packages and there is no price reduction if you already own your modem. Therefore, I see exactly where you are coming from.

However you may want to consider the other added benefits to the ignite packages such as:

- ROGERS IGNITE 60 and higher tiers include shomi™ subscription for 2 years and Rogers™ NHL GameCentre LIVE™ featuring GamePlus™ 2014-15 and 2015-16 Season’s Pass subscriptions.

The value of NHL Game Center Live is normally $199.99 per season and shomi™ is technically worth $8.99 per month.

If we take into consideration the cost of these added services you would be saving over $300 a year!

- ROGERS IGNITE 100 and ROGERS IGNITE 250 come with unlimited usage.

- Rocket Wi-Fi Modem Rental (for those renting modems or who don’t have one). The new Rocket Wi-Fi Modem features AC, the fastest Wi-Fi technology in the world, and it’s a powerful dual band Wi-Fi modem and router in one to connect your tablets, gaming systems and more throughout your home.

- Rogers TechXpert is included at no cost when you bundle ROGERS IGNITE Internet 60 or higher and Digital TV ( Basic or higher).

With our new ROGERS IGNITE Bundles; our goal is to simplify the various discounts that make up the bundle price and make it easy to understand the promotion and on-going discounts on all of your services.

In your personal situation, you would have to weigh out the added benefits and see if it’s worth it for you to switch to the new modem as you purchased your old one and are not renting it.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Bumping this post so  can do another great comparison.

Of note about the new pricing, there is NO seperate charge for the cable modems (gateway). The listed price is the same whether or NOT you own the modem.

-----Edit----

This was not the intended post to be bumped. This page offers a great comparison chart of the old packages and would be better to include the newly launched Ignite packages.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

No.. as i gaurantee that your ASUS will still blow a gateway AC router out of the water.

As for WHAT modem they are describing... hmm.. not sure.  Hopefull a roger rep can pop on here and shed some light.

Looks like the 60/10 has gone up 1-3$ vs the current new upped pricing.
BUT.. included SHOMI and GCL... which IF used is a pretty big savings there.

The 250 package.. has gone DOWN $5... is UNLIMITED now.. and includes GCL and Shomi.... GOOD DEAL for people to switch to this if they are on the previous 250 currently.

The plan inbetween.. is the odd one..
Its DROPED speed wise from 150 to 100... but GIVEN unlimted usage.  + the GCL and shomi.

One thing i dont see anything listed.. is about currently the BONUS 200g that you get when bundled.  If this still exists / applies to the new plans here or not.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

I did contact Rogers and I found out this: The new Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem features AC, the fastest Wi-Fi technology in the world, and is a powerful dual-band Wi-Fi modem and router in one to connect your tablets, gaming systems and more throughout your home. Modem and Wi-Fi Router in One: Delivers internet connectivity and wireless networking in one—no need to purchase additional hardware. AC Wi-Fi Technology: Features AC, the fastest Wi-Fi technology for the latest devices with speeds up to 3x faster than 802.11n standards, plus full backwards compatibility. Powerful Dual Band Support: Six high gain antennas built in for wireless signal range, strength and speed. With simultaneous dual band support, minimize interference and maximize performance by connecting devices to your choice of two bands when you check for available Wi-Fi networks. Enjoy smooth HD streaming over the 5 GHz network, while other devices surf on the 2.4 GHz network. Secure Wireless Connectivity: Supports WEP, WPA, WPA2 data encryption as well as Wi-Fi Protected Setup and SPI firewall. Extended File Sharing: Connect hard drives and more with four Gigabit Ethernet ports (10/100/1000 Mbps) for wired data transfer speeds up to 1 gigabit per second and two USB ports. Easy Set Up and Controls: Insert the included Easy Connect USB key into a computer to set up your home network in just minutes, plus take advantage of tools to customize parental controls, guest networks and more. Recommended Minimum System Requirements: Windows® 7, Vista®, XP or Mac OS® X 10.5, 2 GHz CPU for Windows or Intel® x86 CPU for Macintosh®, 2 GB RAM, 10/100/1000 Ethernet wired adapter, 802.11n/ac wireless adapter, Internet Explorer® 7.0 or Safari® 3.0, and USB port required for Easy Connect start up and software.

So as far as I can tell this is the CGN4. Hitron does not list any modem called a CGN3ACR

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Interesting.. Might just be the rogers 'model' of it.. as some ISP's have specialized versions of it (Like the 9865 for the TV, ONLY rogers has that exact unit/specs)

So the modem is like the newer one.. from what i looked up on the CGN4, the MODEM part is practially the exact same.. so we are just talking the extra AC capabilities in it.

Interesting note though.. on the if the price is that, regardless of if you own the modem or not...
Alot of people who BOUGHT the modem, will not likely then be changing to this, as right now, they ARE saving $12 a month vs with this they wouldnt be.

I would still like to know about the bonus 200gb.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

The 250 package.. has gone DOWN $5... is UNLIMITED now.. and includes GCL and Shomi.... GOOD DEAL for people to switch to this if they are on the previous 250 currently.

It's actully a bigger drop that that for unlimited. Current prices for HF 250 are 102.99 PLUS 25 for unlimited = 127.99.

The Ignite 250u is now going to be 94.99 with unlimited INCLUDED. That's a drop of $33!!

And in part that's what really irks me. Rogers has no problem increasing my charges when prices go up, but of course they will not ever apply a decrease automatically. I realize that by calling it a "new" package they have to formally swap the service, but really all that's changed is the name (esp if the CGN3 is still OK to use). But if I, as a long time user, isn't vigilant to new plans and new prices, Rogers will never alert me that that I can save some big $$.  

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

My guess is that this is gone. The other day I stumbled by accident onto the New Brunswick page instead of my ON default and was surprised to see that the same plan was not at all the same. It was a lower price, and had a 1TB limit whereas mine was 500G plus the bundling bonus. My guess is that the bundling bonues are on the way out and instead we are getting higher limits to begin with. Don't really need a bundle bonus of 200G if you already have unlimited built in....

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

yeah, it will be a completely different package code, etc in the system.. so couldnt be auto.

BUT yeah.. they should send out to all current users, at least a 'HEY! these are our new packages.. this is the new one most comparitive to your old, compare them and call us if you want to change!'

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@DrMike wrote:

@Gdkitty wrote:

My guess is that this is gone. The other day I stumbled by accident onto the New Brunswick page instead of my ON default and was surprised to see that the same plan was not at all the same. It was a lower price, and had a 1TB limit whereas mine was 500G plus the bundling bonus. My guess is that the bundling bonues are on the way out and instead we are getting higher limits to begin with. Don't really need a bundle bonus of 200G if you already have unlimited built in....

I am only on the 60/10 with the 120.... + the 200g bonus.

My usuage usually peaks at just over 200.

So the current bonus, is great for me.

The new package, is NOT enough for me 😞

And would then have to spend more, to go up to the 100u package.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:
The new package, is NOT enough for me 😞

And would then have to spend more, to go up to the 100u package.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And I think you have your answer as to the modus operandi of this move 🙂  To get you to move up the food chain at a higher price. I expect LOTS of folks may be lured into the 100u package because of the unlimited feature....