New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

@JohhnyRockets wrote:

@Datalink wrote:

In all honesty, no all in one modem/router combo will beat a good standalone router with external antenna.  So, as I indicated, look at the wifi performance that you see, after the firmware upgrade, and consider whether or not its worth the investment to buy a router that will deliver the wifi performance that you expect to see from a modem or router.

Thank you for posting this! This is exactly why Rogers should be offering a stand alone modem option. For the average customer, it is actually much easier to hook up a router to a stand alone modem than have to go through all of the bridging procedures to hook up the same router to a Rogers gateway! The fact that Rogers posts the bridging instructions on their Website tells me that Rogers is well aware of how bad the gateways are!

Yes, but the 'average customer' would need to figure out whether they need a 'modem' or a 'gateway' when they are in the Rogers store or placing the order on the phone...

As much as the bridging procedure may be confusing, at least Roers doesn't have to send another truck out because the work order said modem and the customer is confused that their iPad has no wifi...

This discussion has been had a thousand times, and I have always reluctantly come to agree with the Rogers all-gateways policy: when the competition offers standard gateways (and gateways without bridge mode at that!) and less tech-savvy users are relying on that, you cannot have a world where:

a) people are asked to pay more for the gateway than the modem (if that's the case, they'll feel like Rogers is nickel and diming them if they want wifi for their tablet)

b) people are asked to select whether they want a modem or a gateway (no one, including many Rogers reps, would correctly identify the differences, so lots of people would find themselves with the wrong device)

... and don't forget that if people end up with the wrong device and have to miss work for another tech to come by with the right device, not to mention be offline for a day or two, they will blame Rogers

The only practical solutions are:

1) Gateways for everyone, and have people who want modems turn their gateways into modems by using software, or

2) Have modems in the system, but so buried that no one who doesn't explicitly ask for one using the magical secret name/part number could accidentally end up with one.

Is #2 really preferable to #1?

One thing I might suggest if anyone at Rogers is reading this: include a little piece of paper in the gateway packaging saying 'This Rogers gateway provides basic networking functionality. If you would prefer to use your own router, it can be used as a modem by following steps A, B, and C.' I worry many people just plug a router into a gateway and inadvertently are double-NATting...

I Plan to Stick Around

Okay I am fast approaching the 72 hours mark and still no update...I was really hoping to wake up turn on my computer and see this resolved but no...Rofgers you are really letting me down bug time. But I did get this???

Hello. This is a message from Rogers about your ticket number CT08341830.

You contacted us on 08/27/2015 about an issue with your Rogers Internet Service service.

We apologize for the delay and thank you for your continued patience as our technical teams work on a resolution.

We will keep you informed on the ticket status and will contact you as soon as an update is available.

Thank you for choosing Rogers.

I've Been Here Awhile

This is not about league of legends only, i am having trouble with online gaming P2P connections in general .. I got this modem 4 days ago and it still hasnt been updated to the latest firmware .. ive messaged community helps so hopefully its updated soon or else i will have to switch back to advanced wifi modem
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Wait for the update to 4.5.8.16 as that will likely solve most if not all of the problems that you are seeing.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Glendajane if you reach the 72 hour point with no update, it will be time to request this through @CommunityHelps.  Follow that link to navigate to the CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page, fill in the title, and your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number in the text area.  The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. If you are a new customer, you will not have immediate access to the Cable Account Reference Number.  This can be obtained by calling Customer support.  You can then send that Reference Number, along with the modem MAC address to CommunityHelps.  The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Firmware version 4.5.8.16 has been deployed to all CGN3ACSMRs across the network as of Friday 10 Jul 2015.

I Plan to Stick Around

Still nothing

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you sent in a request to @CommunityHelps?

I've Been Here Awhile

hello I can not play league of legends, it always show that cannot connect to the server.
My model name is CGN3ACSMR

I've Been Here Awhile

i just use rogers network. but I can not play league of legend it show the cannot connect to the server. My model name is CGN3ACSMR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Can you edit your posts and remove the CM MAC address please.  Its not a good security policy to leave that out in the open.

The CGN3ACSMR should be updated from firmware version 4.4.8.14 to 4.5.8.16 in 48 to 72 hours.  Until that update, online gaming, using VOIP devices, VPNs or any other latency intolerant application will be an exercise in frustration.  If after 72 hours the firmware has not updated it can be requested thru @CommunityHelps.