New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

I totally agree. Hopefully the next fix for the CGN3 will address WiFi problems, interface problems (since it takes long to load), and add more port forwarding slots.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Remember that there is more than one issue at play here. The short list that I can think of includes: 

1. The latency to and through the Hitron CGN3 series modems
2. The issue specific to League of Legends and the CGN3ACSMR
3. IPV6 which does not appear to work properly (all Hitron CGN3s?)
4. Airprint support for printing from Apple mobile device (all Hitron CGN3s?)
5. Wifi Multicast for printing to wifi printers (all Hitron CGN3s?)
6. Slow user interface (all Hitron CGN3s?)

No doubt there are others, but those are probably the main issues at the moment. The priority I believe is on items 1 and 2 but don't quote me on that. Dealing with three related modem versions and multiple issues can be a challenge. Best advice I can give right now is to be patient and swap your CGN3AC and / CGN3ACSMR for a CGN3 if you are having issues with gaming. Remember that doing so does not address the latency issue as stated in point 1. However, running a CGN3 in Bridge mode with an Asus RT-AC68U behind it, my son plays LOL, seemingly without too much to complain about other than the usual higher ping time caused by the distance from the Ontario region to Riot’s West Coast servers.

Now, interestingly enough, Cisco has a 24 x 8 modem out that Techsavvy users are just starting to receive which is the DPC3848. I had thought that the Cisco would not exhibit the same latency issue as the Hitron modems, and surprisingly I’m wrong. The ping times to the Cisco appear to be worse than the Hitron, so, maybe we should count our lucky stars in that regard. It will be interesting to see what happens to the ping numbers, both to the Hiton modem and online servers when the firmware updates are rolled out. Here’s the relevant post from DSLreports that show the Cisco ping numbers.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30066476-Cable-How-is-the-WiFi-Speed-Range-of-the-new-Cisco-Modems

Have a look at the ping times that are located further down the page posted by hw. The ping times are unstable ping to ping, same as the Hitron.  Here’s the final numbers, pinging to the Cisco DPC3848 which is in Bridge mode:

round-trip min / avg / max / stddev = 6.716 / 10.821 / 13.853 / 2.491 ms

From testing my CGN3 in gateway mode with the latest firmware version 4.2.4.5, pinging the CGN3 1000 times, the numbers are:

round-trip min / avg / max  = 0 / 5 / 21 ms

So, the 5 ms Hitron CGN3 average doesn't look so bad compared to the Cisco’s 10.8 ms.

This does make me wonder, is this what we can expect to see as the norm, from the 24 and 32 channel modems?  I hope not.

Food for thought……

I've Been Around

I recently dealt with this issue... had the exact same problems. I followed this thread for about two weeks, grew a bit impatient and headed over to my local Rogers store. The CSR working that day told me I needed to make a call to tech support and have them put in a work order for the older modem before he could do the swap, which I did. Swapped out the modem and everything is running smoothly with no problems, League is good to go and I'm a satisfied camper.

All in all it took about 30 minutes. Really not that big of a deal, I'd just go ahead and swap, make the call in advance and get 'er done.

I've Been Around

Hi I have been having this same problem for a couple of weeks and I have tried to call the rogers store to pick the CGN3 up but they dont seem to be in stock anywhere. Is there any other way for me to get this modem?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you asked the local store if they can order one for you, or search the stock holdings of other stores?

One other possibility is to chat with tech support to raise a work order and possibly have one brought to your home by a tech.

Support
Support

Update: We are happy to announce that the new firmware which resolves the League of Legends connectivity issue has now been deployed across the network . Customers who received a modem with the old firmware will be updated automatically within 48-72 hours. The new firmware is 4.5.8.16.

This only applies to the CGN3ACSMR.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

NICE!

This is some great news 😄

I Plan to Stick Around

LOL you're kidding me. I finally go to replace my modem with the older model and the firmware upgrade is bring releassed haha. Is there any way I can switch back to the new modem with the updated firmware? Like should I wait a week before switching back to the AC model
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Woohoo.....

Let the games begin.  Excellent news.

What about the latency to and through all of the CGN3 series modems?  Anywhere near a solution for that as well?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Switching back to the CGN3ACSMR should not be a problem.