New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

180+ Ping on League of Legends 

Just got Rogers a few days ago. Ping has been around 60-80, haven't played much League. Today, it's at 180+ which is basically unplayable. 

I'm on wired connection, CGN3 modem. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@atomhead, can you:

1.  Confirm what modem you have, as indicated on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  It should be a CGN3xxx variation or a CGNM-3552, most likely.

2.  Log into the modem by starting a web browser, entering 192.168.0.1 in the address bar to access the login page, and logging into the modem.

3.  Confirm what Software Version (Firmware Version) is currently loaded.

4.  Navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN page, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  Those are the cable signal levels and signal to noise ratios. 

5.  Confirm what network you are using:  ethernet, 2.4 Ghz or 5 Ghz

Just for general knowledge at this point, if your modem is connected to a Casa Systems CMTS you will see high ping times due in part to the signal processing in the modem.  That is a problem that Rogers, Casa Systems, Hitron and Intel are working to resolve.  Hopefully within the next month or two we will see a new trial firmware version that will substantially reduce the ICMP ping times and transit times with the Hitron modems.  You can tell that you're on a Casa Systems CMTS by navigating to the STATUS ...... DOCSIS EVENT page and having a look for one of the following sequences:

a. CMTS-MAC=00:17:10 which indicates that you are connected to a Casa Systems Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), or;

b. any of the following which indicates that you are connected to a Cisco Systems CMTS.

1. CMTS-MAC=00:05:00
2. CMTS-MAC=00:12:43
3. CMTS-MAC=00:14:f1
4. CMTS-MAC=00:1e:be
5. CMTS-MAC=00:1f:ca
6. CMTS-MAC=e0:2f:6d                Note: there may be other Cicso MAC addresses
                                                            as well which are not on this list yet.

Its possible to monitor the modem to CMTS path for high ping times and any packet loss in that path by using pingplotter as indicated in the following post:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/355...

If you look at the first two to three rows of images in my library you can see the high ping times that I see between my CGNM-3552 and the Casa Systems CMTS that the modem is connected to.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/829158

Hopefully this provides some explanation of what you are seeing.  With a few details we'll know if you need to request the latest trial version for your modem or not.  If you have  Chromecast device you will need to request the trial version as indicated here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/348...

I've Been Around

Ping Issues With League of Legends For Months Now, Can't Resolve

I don't know what to do anymore. My ping has been severely unstable in game when it should be hovering around 26-29 ping. I keep getting ping in the high 40's all the way to the 80's. When it gets that high, it just becomes unplayable and it becomes severely upsetting especially when I know what my ping should be. I've changed my modem several times in the last few months and the issue never seems to be resolved. I currently have that new all white CODA modem. Everytime I call tech support, they run speed test and are like well everything is fine, blahblahblah. Technicians come and just check the wiring in your apartment and change the modem while the issue continues to persist. 

Do I change to an older version like the CGN2? Do I need to buy a third party router, would that help me at all? I just don't know what to do.. my friends have similar issues, it seems to be mainly a rogers issue.. do I change ISPs?? What the heck do I do.. I'm so frustrated man.. this is the main thing I use my internet for and my family barely has any money as it is.. We have the ignite 100 plan or w.e

Please I'm begging somebody to help me..

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

third party router wont help. Honestly either a different ISP, or get the old Cisco DOCSIS 2 gateway. However that modem isn't compatible with the Ignite plans. DOCSIS (coax cable) isn't the greatest for latency, so if that is what's important then Bell DSL or Fibre might be your only hope.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is in response to the few users whose ping in League of Legends has inconsistent for the last 6-7 months or so:

So how do we get this resolved? I understand this is a different issue than what this thread was intended for, but I've been all over the Internet and can only find sporadic complaints from users in the GTA having the same issue. My ping used to be fine, then one day this issue happened. I was hoping it would be resolved by now, but clearly that's not going to happen as it's been 6 months (at least) and still no fix. It's a very inconsistent issue, sometimes my ping is "normal" and other times it's high, but stable...it changes everytime I connect to a new game...until last night. My ping wouldn't drop lower than 53ms and was noticibly spiking in game. That's double what it should be.

I'm finally going to call "tech support" about this issue tonight, which should be hilarious. I'm sure that I'm going to get the usual automated responses. Tracert shows the issues at the same hop as the post you replied to (209.148.230.138 - I believe, will have to confirm when I get home tonight).

One instance of a complaint is here: http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/GD/eWEOrxRq-inconsistent-pingrouting-is-it-just-rogers-or-... where it looks like Rogers is basically blaming riot. 

I'm going to give Rogers a very short leash with this or I'm honestly just going to switch ISP's.

I'm a Regular

Having same issue but not with that game been having issues with the Xbox one and EA sports games nothing but lag and high latency / packet loss and many hops for years while friends on bell network with no issues at all when it comes for gaming @RogersDave said there will be a fix but I'm very doubtful, I was quite happy when the coda came out suppose to be better for gaming because the the new puma better latency but really I have seen any improvement over the acsmr modem when it comes to latency very disappointed really my fricken old Motorola modem and sisco was a lot better.
I've Been Here Awhile

Please tell me if you solve this, I have had this problem for so long...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With DOCSIS 3.1 latency should improve, by the end of February almost everyone will be on 3.1

Also firmware .23 fixed some NAT issues with XBOX, and ipv6 will be back on the CODA modems shortly. 

I've Been Here Awhile

I just contacted Rogers support and they said they couldn't help my with my issue because my ping was in their range of acceptable ping (25-75). That is pretty ridiculous...