New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Right now I'm plugged directly into the modem. I'm using the router just for wifi. I'm playing League of Legends and I do have port forwarding set up on the modem. I'm using a desktop. http://www.pingtest.net/result/127235421.png Here is a pingtest result from today showing 14% packet loss. Also logsoflag showing 21 packets lost per minute in a game I played today: http://logsoflag.com/#uZ3Pc9yOTb8 whereas when I was on my previous Rogers plan I was showing minimal packet loss: http://logsoflag.com/#4k4I9axw92P

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you tried disconnecting or turning off the power for the router and then run a test session to see if there is any change in the packet loss?  Just trying to eliminate all of the possibilities here.  Looking at the test run to Sudbury, yep, that really confirms packet losses to a Canadian server.  Your signal levels aren't perfect but they are still within spec.  The downstream are high and there is a definite high-frequency roll-off as the frequency increases.  The signal to noise is ok.  The upstream a little low at the same time.  So the two of them together are not what we normally see.  Call into Tech Support and indicate that you are seeing packet losses to Canadian servers.  This isn't just a case of playing a game with a distant server.  Have tech support run a signal check on the modem and ask them to check the node to see if anything is amiss.  The node is the next device upstream.  This might just turn into something that will take persistent calling in, which establishes a history of reported problems.  So, see what Tech Support indicates and please let us know.  If necessary I'll ask one of the mods for further help.

Is the Logs of Lag a data file that is collected while in game?  Just wondering.  Also, is the router set up as a wifi access point with a non-conflicting IP address so that it doesn't conflict with the modem IP range and is the DHCP server turned off on the router?  Just trying to determine how the router is set up.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having latency issue when play online games. I know that new firmware for CGN3ACSMR was released early this month.

Any scheduled date of firmware updates for my CGN3ACR?

I'm on Ignite 250/20. Internet speed is great but only online gaming has latency issue.

***Edited Labels***

Hello, @robinrobin

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!Smiley Happy

CGN3ACR should be running firmware version 4.2.8.12, which is the updated version for this model. If your modem has a different version, please let us know.

You have the option of swapping your modem to CGN3ACSMR model and see if that improves your online gaming experience. For a lot of our Community members, the gaming latency issue was resolved with the firmware version 4.5.8.16 on CGN3ACSMR modem.

Hope this helps!

RogersMoin

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All Hitron CGN3 series modems have or had issues with latency.  The CGN3ACSMR, until the latest firmware release also had connect / disconnect problems with online games, VOIP devices and VPNs.  Those two problems have been solved for the CGN3ACSMR in the firmware release and it is very stable.  There are still some people who run into issues with it and replacing it with the CGN3 solves those issues, albeit with added latency.  It takes 48 hours to update the CGN3ACSMR after it goes active on the network, so for those first 48 hours, don't consider doing anything that is latency intolerant or cannot tolerate connect / disconnect occurrences.  After the firmware upgrade you will probably be satisfied with its performance. 

The firmware changes that were made to the CGN3ACSMR to solve the latency issue will also be made to the CGN3 and CGN3ACR, but I have not heard of the timeline for those updates.  The best solution for now is to swap the modem for the CGN3ACSMR and tolerate the 48 hours that it takes to update the firmware. 

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Datalink for your suggestion!

I Plan to Stick Around

Hi @RogersMoin,

Yes, my modem's firmware is 4.2.8.12. I'll think about swapping to CGN3ACSMR model.

Hello, @robinrobin

Great! I too believe swapping to the CGN3ACSMR model should help. Thank you for your contributions and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I Plan to Stick Around

Got CGN3ACSMR model this afternoon. The firmware version is 4.4.8.14.

Hope it can be auto-updated within 48 hours.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it doesn't, follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the CommunityHelps public page when you are signed into the forum.  On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message".  Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page, fill in an appropriate title, your modem MAC address and Cable Account Reference Number and a brief explanation indicating that the modem has not updated as of yet, and send the pm.

The Cable account reference number is located within the Internet section of your bill. The account number that you normally see or use is comprised of various home services such as Internet, Home Phone, Home Monitoring, etc, but the requested reference number is located at the top of the Internet section of your monthly account statement.

The modem MAC address can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or in the HFC MACC Address located in the Status page of the modem.