New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

@orcduchaos wrote:

I too changed for a CGN3ACSMR about 2 weeks ago. First of, I was very happy with the service at ROGERS and everything was great. But recently I got into League of Legends again and I find it very upsetting to have to chase around for an older modem to make the game work. Especially that I already had to run by my neighbors and ask them if they minded having a wire up their trees for 6-8 weeks...

Is there any way I can 'not' have a Hitron Technologies modem and keep my plan with ROGERS?

I just contacted them to show my disappointment (only to make myself feel better) and I must say that I don't want to encourage that company anymore. For an oversea company that established itself 4 years ago in the USA, they are not making a great first impression; company that has been in this business for 29 years.

Unfortunately, at least at this point, no there arent other options.
As much per 'policy'.. when the new plans, etc are set up on their systems, they are sort of coded.. that for them to apply that new plan to an account, if it does not list the hitron ones in there, it will not let the plan be applied.  So its not just something that can be overwritten.

There is some technical reasoning behind going to them..
Rogers in the past, always got the complaints of slowdowns especially durring peak times.  This was congetstion.  everyone was fighting on the same frequency for space.  This is why they went to the D3 series modems period.  They introduces 4, 8, etc channel modems.  More lanes, less chance of congestion.

Now with many of the newer and much faster plans, demading more speed continually... congestion can start happening again. (often the reason you dont see 100+mbps plans on providers who do not have 24 channel modems). 
So having these help elivate that.

While the other older modems would work per say.. it would technically be able to handle the speeds, etc... there is a good chance of congestion possibly again.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

i do understand the problem with fixing an issue without creating some more. I just wanted to point out the importance of online gaming side while programing a new modem software. It is something that should not be overlooked and this issue right now should be an example of how not to mess up again. Maybe i am writing like this because i am upset with it personally but i do also thing that it must be a major malfunction overall. I simply dont think that online gaming is a marginal thing.

I've Been Here Awhile

ok so not sure this will help anyone else out, but i might have figured out a temporary fix/bypass. As i was able to get into games all but once this weekend and played quite a few games. Just get a vpn and turn it on before you sign onto the game. I tried both surfeasy vpn and hotspot shield and both worked for me each time  without recieving a firewall issue/crash. I switched ran out of their free data limit on surfeasy so i switched to hotspot shield switched over the hotspot shield which is free. Dunno how or why but it will put you into the game as an american and shouldn't have any issues... Just don't forget to turn it off after playin cause it might mess with other programs/accounts that assume you are on Canadian geography. The only down side is if like lower ping you will be sitting higher then what should be at 100/250 mb/s and will be around 120 ping (i'm in Toronto). Good luck, hopefully this isn't a long term solution.

I Plan to Stick Around

Wow... I'll give Hotspot a try. I use that program to watch American CMT.Redneck Island, love that show. Will post results !!!
I Plan to Stick Around

2 for 2 on 1st time connects !!! 🙂 3 for 3... 4 for 4... think this is a great temp fix 🙂

Oh yeah... I'm in Binbrook, On and my ping went from 72 to 112 in League which is still phenomenal.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats interesting results.

Definately means its a ROUTING thing.. since going through a VPN, would be routing a different path.

Its just interesing, that generally, the routing should be global across rogers as a whole.

odd that on the ONE is having an issue.. its like it cant read the routing table for that site for some reason.

I Plan to Stick Around

I tried downloading Hotspot and it gives me and error on the install. I went to quite a few sites to download it and all with the same result. Where did you get your download from????

I Plan to Stick Around

Where did you get Hotspot Shield from i have tried on quite a few sites and they all crap out half way through the install?

I've Been Here Awhile

http://www.hotspotshield.com... free download. free download only allows for a US proxy which is okay, because for some reason using the Canadian one (I have elite version), the issues come back.  the other one i tried was https://www.surfeasy.com/, but it does have like a 500mb monthly cap.. so if you are an avid gamer you might burn through that in a short bit. Not tryin to pitch these two services, just ones i've tried and work/allow the game to get past the loading screen. Maybe others work too.

I've Been Here Awhile

So I downloaded this hotspot shield but it doesn't seem to fix it. Not familiar with this program so is there anything you need to set up? I have it running says I am using a hotspot trial VIA: United States, Full Protection, LAN full.