New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

There are different types/speeds of wireless connectivity out there.

- b - generally dont find this one much anymore, generally max 11mbps

- g - still around somewhat - generally max 54mbps

- n - most common - 100-300+ mbps

- ac - newest.

AC is the newest.. some devices may  have it.. some may not.  Most newer phones tend to... laptops.. can be hit and miss depending on how cheap of a wireless card they put in it.
There are a number of flavors of AC (1750, 1900, etc)  more and more capable speed as you go up.

If you are buying your OWN router.. i say sure, go out and spend the extra on an AC router.. futureproof yourself, etc.

But generally in MOST cases.. N will do fine.  Depending on your PLAN.. N should be able to handle most of the speed.
If you are on the 250 plan... N MIGHT work.. but thats assuming you have an N capable card of doing that fast to begin with, etc.
Generally, in my opinion, N should serve most people for their internet.. unless they are trying to max out the MAX speed on the HIGHEST rogers plan, over wireless.  (which i think is silly.. you really want to gaurantee your speed, do wired)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@CX2DUBCAKES

The main difference between the modems should be the 802.11ac capability of the CGN3ACSMR which uses the 5 Ghz band. You would need to review your devices to determine which ones use 802.11n and which are 802.11 ac / n capable for 5 Ghz networks.

If you use a 2.4 Ghz network heavily, then you will be interested in keeping the SMR version. The main drawback with the CGN3 is its inability to handle mixed devices on the 2.4 Ghz networks. If you run a mixture of dual antenna, dual data stream laptops (which is typical), with any single antenna, single data stream device at the same time such as some cell phones and USB Wifi dongles, the CGN3 locks down to the slowest data rate of all of the connected devices, which will bring the higher data rate laptops to a crawl. The CGN3 does not have the capability to switch data rates to accomodate the various devices. The CGNV4 on the other hand, ie: the CGN3AC and CGN3ACSMR should use co-existence mechanisms to operate the same device mixture at their rated data rates. The CGNV4 has been tested and rated as co-existence capable by the Wifi Alliance.

Highlighted
Product Manager
Product Manager

Hi All and thanks for your patience throughout this issue. The good news is that new code is currently being tested and we have not received the firewall error in connecting to LoL.
We are also working with the vendor to reach an interim solution until that code is ready to deploy.
I understand the frustration and appreciate the input and co-operation from everybody on this thread.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nice to see progress on the issue and the update.  Please keep the updates coming on this issue and on the latency issue with the CGN3 series modems.  You will have an appreciative audience 🙂   Fwiw, updates should be posted up top, in the internet section as a locked item that is plainly visible when you look at the post titles.  Hopefully that would grab peoples attention.

I'm Here A Lot

Awesome, thanks for the update. Will that update also help alleviate the ping/disconnection problems? I understand that it can be fixed by bridging but I don't see why I should go out and buy a brand new router when the one I've been given should be working correctly

Thanks again for the update it's really appreciated
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

disconects may be a different thing.

I am running the CGN3, which suffers from the same ping jumps.  BUT i dont ever get disconected from the games i play.

While generally i agree, that one shouldnt have to get their own 3rd party router..
You look at any of the OTHER options for ISPs.. all the 3rd party ones, etc.. .almost none of them provide gateways..
Why?  They just arent up to par... not just canada.. US any one that uses them.. all report sub par performance.
They are on par with a cheap $30-50 router..  they work... kind of... just not great.
You want better performance.. you really need to get the device which has it 😞

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks so much for the update. Please keep us posted and we will really appreciate it.

Keep up the good work. I called bell and almost switched over to bell due to this issue.

Nice to see Rogers actually working hard to resolve the issue. Will stay with Rogers then!

🙂
I Plan to Stick Around

When will this interim solution be ready because this is really frustrating me and i have recently got banned from my favorite game because of these disconnects and not able to connect to their servers?
I've Been Around

same  problem,holy this really sucks, getting ban and unable to climb the rank.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just a head's up for the AC version users. Make sure you set up port forwarding on

Both tcp/udp for these ports :

5000-5500
8394-8400

I find I connect more frequently with them active than without. Ratio today was 4 out of 10 connected on first try. Hope this helps while the techs work on the firmware release, which is great news I hear... Apparently lol is not crashing due to firewall in their current testing... : )