New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: New CGN3ACSMR Modem, not compatible with League of Legends?

I did think about that as well Netwrks..

Sometimes, its common to have SOME come up that way.

I know when you do a tracert to BLIZZARD servers, like wow, SC, etc... the last 4 or so come up that way, as they are within blizzards firewall, and non routable.

But for the amount.. right after the first or second level3 connection.. unless the server is directly off the level3 network there...

I Plan to Stick Around

IP Address 95.172.65.xx is in the UK. It wouldn't be directly connected to this particualr Level3 router. The Level3 router is a short hop from the Rogers routers. Still looks like a Level3 routing issue.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Before we start finger pointing the trace route issues, and where the fault lies, I think we should quickly address if this IP address we trace routing to is even part of RIOT Games. I don't think this is. I think this is based off of legacy information and is no longer current. Here is the troubleshooting tips RIOT Games offers for trace routes, and that IP address is not offered in it's list. (Edit: Sorry, just looked at the IP address a noticed that the IP address range are similar. So I take back my comment this IP address doesn't belong to RIOT Games. But still, the IP address is EU when the preference should be NA for Rogers. Otherwise the game play would be laggy at best since the internet traffic needs to go through half of the world. You can't beat physics. You can't beat the speed of light.)

https://support.riotgames.com/hc/en-us/articles/201752674-Network-System-and-League-of-Legends-Logs#...

If there was a routing issue, then RIOT Games support would be the people to take it up with since it's their services that are being affected. This is why they are asking for the trace route output being placed in a txt file and sent to support to examine.

If we really want to troubleshoot if this is a CGN3ACSMR modem issue, we must rule out all LAN equipment except for the CGN3ACSMR modem and a computer. This is why I brought the discussion back to saying I see a NAT in the trace route and we should take that out.

I've Been Around

Since UPGRADING to the CGN3ACSMR modem/router I have also been unable to play League of Legends, due to the Firewall May Be Blocking The Connection error message.

I have disabled firewalls, used my old router and turned the modem into a bridge, opened ports, put in the DMZ, disabled the IPv6, used a VPN, and then since nothing worked. I removed my old router, reset the modem to be the active router, then did every step again for the CGN3A, and had the same result.  I brought the modem back to the store and got a new one thinking it was faulty, and the same problem continues after doing the entire process again for the new modem.

I called the Rogers Techspert division and they told me to do everything I had already done.  The technician on the phone was using the same youtube videos and forums that I was using and he is supposed to be the expert.  

I believe this is a problem with Hitron Technologies, the manufacturer of the product itself.  What I really want to do is use the modem as a projectile towards a Rogers office but that will make me unable to flame on forums and try to find an actual solution to this problem.  LOL

The most frustrating part of this whole thing is that about 5% of the time, the game connects perfectly and I can play! How can it WORK SOMETIMES!? It makes no sense.  I have the same problem on laptop vs desktop and wireless vs wired.  

Retired Moderator RogersAsif
Retired Moderator

Hi Guys

Im jumping in a little late but i wanted to add my information.

I just started playing the game about two days ago. I have the 100u Ignite Package, with the CGN3ACR. Hardware version 1A and im on Software 4.2.8.12

The CGN3ACR and CGNACRSMR are essentially identical to my understanding.

So far ive played 2 matches on my macbook pro(non-ac) and 2 matches on my windows PC. I am not sure if the match type matters but i played 3 (5 players vs 5 Bots) and 1 (5 players on 5 players).

I haven't done any port forwarding yet or any ping tests etc.

So far i haven't had any disconnects or degraded performance and didn't get any firewall errors. How often is the issue happening for you guys?

I'll be playing more and will see if i can get the SMR model and have lastest firmware pushed to see if it makes any difference in gameplay/connectvity and will report back.

The online gaming infastructure is quite complex so there could be various factors to the issue. It would all come down to factoring things out one by one.

Your home network needs to be at optimal performance, as with the performance from the ISP. The game servers which we don't hear much about is another factor too.

I mostly play PS4 games online and find it varies with different games/different setups etc. I had another case with a PS4 online game where the game support team said it was most likely my NAT and ISP which actually wasn't the case.

Being a gamer myself i understand the frustration. I hope everyone gets their problem solvedSmiley Sad

RogersAsif

Hi Asif,

Thank you for your comments here. As a test, can you do this?

1) Launch the LoL launcher

2) Before pressing the Launch button in the top center of the screen, go to the top right side of the screen and drop the server to EUW or EUNE.

3) Try to play a few rounds with bots.

The reason I ask is that some of the trace route testings I've done is highly suspect that there is an issue with Rogers Upstream provider (Level 3) going to final destinations to Riots LoL servers. This may be the cause of much complains with Rogers and playing LoL which is eroniously being blamed as a modem defect.

I don't play LoL myself so I haven't been able to test.

If there's failure with the game play, then I suspect what I have stated is what is to be true. Unfortunately resolution to this problem going to be very long and difficult unless we can get someone at the Rogers NOC to investigate. It'll likely mean that Rogers NOC will need to file a support ticket with Level 3 to get the issue resolved. There is no way this is going to happen through normal support channels using Rogers support. The last resort is crossing fingers that Riot can file a ticket with Level3 on Rogers behalf.

Retired Moderator

Hi @gisuckSmiley Happy

Yes, hence why i started with testing the router. I plan to see if i can test on the "SMR" model with latest firmware so we can possibly rule that out.

I haven't even got a chance to start looking at the route traces but as you mentioned  routing issues are something that can't be quickly fixed . Rogers Support wouldn't be able to look into the issue further as it's outside their scope of support, but we intend to see if the issue can be further investigated.

RogersAsif

I just have the CGN 3 (Wireless N) modem still, and I can see the suspect trace routes when I'm doing traces according to the support documentation suggested by Riot.

Specifically this one in EUW:

Tracing route to 162.249.72.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms 1 ms ion [192.168.130.1]
2 * * * Request timed out.
3 16 ms 17 ms 22 ms gw03.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.145]
4 20 ms 27 ms 19 ms so-5-1-3.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.178]
5 21 ms 24 ms 27 ms 209.148.224.254
6 15 ms 22 ms 11 ms ae53.edge1.Toronto2.Level3.net [4.31.208.129]
7 * 113 ms 109 ms ae-1-60.ear2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.154.20]
8 * * * Request timed out.
9 123 ms 119 ms 118 ms dialup-212.162.19.162.frankfurt1.mik.net [212.162.19.162]
10 * * * Request timed out.
11 * * * Request timed out.
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.

Tracing route to 162.249.72.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms ion [192.168.130.1]
3 20 ms 20 ms 16 ms gw03.slnt.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.90.145]
4 34 ms 132 ms 16 ms so-5-1-3.gw02.ym.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.178]
5 * 16 ms 19 ms 209.148.224.254
6 13 ms 11 ms 16 ms ae53.edge1.Toronto2.Level3.net [4.31.208.129]
7 * * * Request timed out.
9 121 ms 121 ms 119 ms dialup-212.162.19.162.frankfurt1.mik.net [212.162.19.162]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 * * * Request timed out.
14 * * * Request timed out.

Also this one in EUNE:

3 15 ms 16 ms 16 ms 66.185.90.149
4 32 ms 19 ms 14 ms pos-0-0.gw01.pr.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.174]
5 28 ms 30 ms 27 ms 69.63.248.89
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 107 ms 113 ms 110 ms ae-3-80.ear2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.154.149]
9 * * * Request timed out.

3 19 ms 19 ms 15 ms 66.185.90.149
4 20 ms 24 ms 19 ms pos-0-0.gw01.pr.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66.185.81.174]
5 33 ms 28 ms 30 ms 69.63.248.89
6 * * * Request timed out.
7 * * 111 ms ae-3-80.ear2.Frankfurt1.Level3.net [4.69.154.149]
9 * * * Request timed out.

(EDIT: Noticed that the source IP I used was not captured here. It's 95.172.65.100)

As a network administrator, seeing these kind of irregular responses would be a concern that I would need to address if this was my network. Smiley Happy

Again, this could be nothing but I suspect these bad traces are the cause for the blame of defective modems with Rogers when reality, it is not. I suspect the upstream provider Rogers is using causing the problem.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator

Hi @gisuck

Thank you for the information. Our team has flagged the issue and are looking to see if we can have a further analysis conducted.

Community, continue to provide us with as much information as you can on the type of issues you guys are encountering. 

We hope to provide you guys with a solution to your problems or an explanation on what is occurring.

RogersAsif

I Plan to Stick Around

I have completed ruled out the PC to be the problem.    I made a bunch of changes to the modem (firewall settings/port forwarding rules) and can't get League of Legends to run.    I tried both hard wired connections from my pc and wifi to the mode, both net no connectivity to the game.

I decided to try connecting my pc to the wifi hotspot on my phone and game connected each time without issue.   So, I have for sure ruled out misconfiguration of the PC completely.

I then started focusing more energy on the port forwarding rules required by League of Legends.   The folowing port forwarding rules have been setup.

LOL-Client  5000~5500  5000~5500  TCP/UDP  192.168.0.10  Any
LOL-Patcher  8393~8400  8393~8400  TCP  192.168.0.10  Any 
LOL-PVP1  2099~2099  2099~2099  TCP  192.168.0.10  Any 
LOL-HTTP  80~80  80~80  TCP  192.168.0.10  Any 
LOL-HTTPS  443~443  443~443  TCP  192.168.0.10  Any 
LOL-Spectator  8088~8088  8088~8088  TCP/UDP  192.168.0.10  Any

I then turned off the firewall completely on the modem, the game still would not connect.  I also tried firewall settings minimum, custom, a few combinations.   

When do the port forwarding rules execute?   If you set firewall settings to minimum, will it still execute the port forwarding rules I defined?

The game will intermittently start when playing with the settings on your modem (but it has zero consistency - 1 out of every 20 times).

The issue is clearly with this modem.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated at this point.