Need help with network issue - ARP Broadcasts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Need help with network issue - ARP Broadcasts

hitron network is always on?

Got a question about my newish docsis 3 hitron modem.  I think it is the cgn3.

Compared to my previous motorola docsis 2 modem, the hitron network activity icon keeps blinking,  even at night when my pc is off.  Modem is in bridge mode, the wi-fi icon is off, but the network icon keeps blinking, there’s a red light in the back the blinks too.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but what exactly is the hitron doing?  And why is it doing it all the time?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive it has to deal with, the topic of this thread its been moved to.

The constant blinking is it repsonding to the CMTS ARP responses.  

But there should be no data used, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

Modem PC/Activity light continually blinking

Until a few days ago the PC/Activity light on my Motorola Surfboard cable modem only blinked when I was uploading or downloading info from the net.  Now it is blinking continually, and the router is password protected.   I have a GB usage limit to worry about.  Anyone know why this is happening, and if it's a problem?  Thx.

Retired Moderator RogersCilio
Retired Moderator

Hello @Bob7,

I also had the Motorola SB 5101 for a good 10+ years before I had to swap it out, due to a plan upgrade.  From my experience, that's never been a fault or an issue, it's built like a rock and probably my favorite modem to this day.

It could be the router generating traffic, albeit very little.  Have you tried connecting your PC directly to the modem, by passing your router and seeing if it still behaves the same?

Does this happen even with your PC/devices powered off?

It really shouldn't be a problem, as I said, personally I have never experienced anything like that.

Anyone else in the Community come across this before?

Cheers,

RogersCilio

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nope that not it.  Its a continuous broadcast of ARP messages from the CMTS after the CMTS has been switched from a Cisco CMTS to a Casa Systems CMTS.  This has been noticed by several people.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thx Data.  The blinking doesn't eat up usage, with it blinking all day and hardly any surfing being done, the usage for the day was a third of a gig.  (BTW, it still blinks with the PC off).  I wanted to ask, when I use a program to hide my IP address so I can surf anonymously, are there any implications for Casa Systems CMTS?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Datalink beat me to it Smiley Happy  Was going to say the CASA CMTS

Any form of VPN, etc, no shouldnt effect anything in that way.  The CMTS is talking to the router at a low level, really to just register that its there, etc.
Anything done on the internet, is dont on a higher layer.. pretty much your just encrypting your session, but is no different than normal.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Bob7, here's a link to a DSLreports thread on the same issue.  You can see the ARP broadcasts further down the thread.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30725833-Cable-ARP-storm-since-1am-KW-burp-overnight

I'm a Senior Contributor

@RogersMoin wrote:

Edited Post : Update

The visible ARP broadcasts are due to our network migrating from "Cisco CMTS" to "Casa CMTS". The broadcasts have zero operational impact on the modems. In technical terms, when traffic comes from the Internet destined to a particular modem, we need to find the MAC address for that modem. In Cisco world, the CMTS would ask the DHCP server first for that information. In casa world, the modem's IP is checked first before querying the DHCP server. So these ARP requests would be expected behaviour with the Casa systems.

As for the Internet data usage, the traffic which originates or terminates to a specific MAC address is counted as Internet usage. In the case of these ARP requests, the traffic does not originate or is not destined to a customer modem and therefore does not count towards Internet usage.

Thanks,

RogersMoin

It seems to me that this issue has already been solved by RogersMoin a number of months ago. Did no one go back and read his reply? This issue has just started for me, the visible ARP broadcasts, and it certainly seems to me like his response is the best one on these forums!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I noticed an increase in traffic on my LAN and narrowed it down the the Rogers Modem (I have the older CGN2).  A bit of work with Wireshark revealed it was the same ARP issue described in this thread, but in my case it was about 100-130 ARP requests per second.  Now that I know what it is, I can ignore it.  But it is a bit odd this traffic appeared when it did - and I wonder how long it will stay?