cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need 2 IP addresses - extra router?

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

I have a Hitron CGN3 Modem and currently use the ethernet and wireless for internet. I use wireless 5 and 2.4 for my devices.

What I need is to get an additional router and connect it to my CGN3 somehow in order to have 2 IP addresses (the 1 I currently have for the current devices, and 1 for another laptop that would be used occasionally).

How can I do this without needing a second cable or second plan?

Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need 2 IP addresses - extra router?

@krotenbac  the only thing that matters is the availability of a telephone cable that runs to your apartment.  So, you don't need an active telephone running.  There will be an installation required to connect the phone cable in the utility room and to install a voice/dsl filter on the phone line in your apartment.  DSL piggybacks off of the telephone line by using the unused frequencies above the voice frequency range, so the filter is required to arrange that split.  Maybe its not required if the only thing that runs on the line is an internet service, but, I can see it being required to keep the noise levels down for the internet service.  

If you go to this page:

https://teksavvy.com/services/internet/

You can use the "Check Availability" to see if they can provide service to your address.  If it comes back negative, call them as that availability checker isn't always accurate apparently  

If you want to chat via text you can sign up for a DSLReports account and then use the Teksavvy Direct forum which is part of the following link, to post a question to the support staff.  Only the support staff and yourself will see the questions and answers on the Direct forum:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

Within the Teksavvy forum, anyone can post a question and response.  If you have any questions regarding the Teksavvy service, post a question to the Teksavvy forum. 

That is part of a larger forum group which is the Canadian section, and then moves up to the North American group.

https://www.dslreports.com/forums/23

To use a DSL service, you will have to buy a DSL modem.  Maybe they can be rented??  Don't know.  So, food for thought, look at the cost of running a single cable modem, which can supply you with two separate, independent IPV4 and IPV6 WAN addresses.  In this case you need two routers.  

If you sign up for a DSL service, there is probably an installation cost, but don't quote me on that one, and another monthly service fee, and, you either have to buy or maybe rent a modem and possibly buy a router as well.  I don't know if DSL modems are simply modems, or if their a gateway type of modem, similar to your current cable modem.  Thinking aloud, the longer that you run a DSL service, the closer it gets to simply buying two routers to run off of your existing Rogers cable modem.  This also involves what model of routers you might buy to satisfy your requirements.  They don't necessarily have to be the same, or equal in performance, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.  I'm thinking that if there's an installation cost, modem cost and router cost, you're probably better off, "cost-wise", to simply buy two routers to run off of your cable modem. 

Also worth considering, if you're in an apartment in Toronto or vicinity, is fibre service available for you?  Maybe a company such as Beanfield?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@krotenbac the Hitron modems, in Bridge mode provide 2 active, independent ports.  Any two of the modem's four ports will provide connected devices with independent IPV4 and IPV6 addresses.  Beyond those two ports, the other ports are supposed to provide IPV6 addresses only but that has been tried recently and observed not to work as expected.  The two connected devices will run two separate, independent networks without any crossover capability.  So, if you happen to have a singular device such as a network printer or NAS, you would have to decide which network those devices would be connected to.  The other network would not provide any access to those devices. 

You should be able to connect both devices (routers), power them up, then restart/reboot the modem so that each device is assigned an IPV4 and IPV6 address.  

Rereading what you're looking for, if you want to run a modem in Gateway mode so that it runs as a modem and router, and then have another modem to provide a separate IP address, that's another matter altogether.  I don't believe that Rogers will allow two internet modems on a singular account, although technically it shouldn't be an issue as all of the Home Phone modems and Nextboxes are simply modems of a different variety.  I suspect that the accounting system simply isn't set up for multiple internet modems.  

The easiest way to accomplish what you're trying to do is to run two routers with the modem in Bridge mode. 

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Thank you.

I'm finding it confusing when talking IPv4 addresses.

Let's say my IPv4 address when I search myip.bitnami on all my computers (desktop, laptop, ios devices, printer, etc) is 100.100.100.100 and my desktop IPv4 address is 192.168.0.99, I need to be able to use my intended laptop so that its myip.bitnami address is other than 100.100.100.100.

My other devices on the 100.100.100.100 address would stay that way.

So taking another stab at my question ..

How would I use the CGN3 with another network device attached to it in order to get the second myip.bitnami IP address for the intended laptop without affecting the 100.100.100.100 devices?

Hey @krotenbac!

It sounds like what you're attempting to do is just have two separate networks within the home, each operating on their own subnet.

Network A: Modem provides a 192.168.0.x subnet for most devices
Network B: Router provides a 192.168.Y.x subnet for the laptop

The steps that Datalink has provided would be the available options for you in this regard and would simply accomplish what you're looking to do. The standard setup for most routers would have them operating on a separate local subnet. The only additional step I could recommend then if you're looking to maintain a consistent local IP address on each connected device on either network would be to set up a static IP for them. When each device is solely connected though on their own network, they wouldn't impact each other. Devices connected on network A won't impact devices on network B nor as mentioned would they be able to communicate with each other as though they were on the same network.

If however what you're looking for is two different public IP addresses this would not be possible with a residential account.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have any other questions!

@RogersAndy

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Thank you, RogersAndy.

Two Public IP addresses is what I need. I guess this would mean two separate Rogers accounts with separate cables. Should I take it that this is not feasible in apartments?

That's correct. Residential addresses would not be able to have more than one internet modem from Rogers.

@RogersAndy

Add technical issues to the problem as well.  Typically there is probably only one cable run per apartment from the apartment buildings utility room, or floor cable node.   Installing or replacing cable runs to an apartment would be a major undertaking which is rarely done.  So, expecting to run an additional cable to support an additional modem is most likely a no go, based solely on the requirements to run a second cable.  

The only reasonable alternative is to run the modem in Bridge mode with two routers connected, each with their own separate and independent IPV4 and IPV6 WAN address, or, run the modem in Gateway mode and run a DSL service, using a DSL modem to support the laptop.  If you're not using the telephone line for anything, then it should be available and usable by Bell, Start, Teksavvy or others, depending on where you live.  It won't be as fast as your cable service, depending on what internet plan you have, but, it should be usable unless your looking for high speed service to support the laptop. 

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Thank you, Datalink. Good idea. We do have an unused telephone line.

Do you know if a company like TekSavvy can just hook us up without a physical installation given that we're in a major city apartment?

@krotenbac  the only thing that matters is the availability of a telephone cable that runs to your apartment.  So, you don't need an active telephone running.  There will be an installation required to connect the phone cable in the utility room and to install a voice/dsl filter on the phone line in your apartment.  DSL piggybacks off of the telephone line by using the unused frequencies above the voice frequency range, so the filter is required to arrange that split.  Maybe its not required if the only thing that runs on the line is an internet service, but, I can see it being required to keep the noise levels down for the internet service.  

If you go to this page:

https://teksavvy.com/services/internet/

You can use the "Check Availability" to see if they can provide service to your address.  If it comes back negative, call them as that availability checker isn't always accurate apparently  

If you want to chat via text you can sign up for a DSLReports account and then use the Teksavvy Direct forum which is part of the following link, to post a question to the support staff.  Only the support staff and yourself will see the questions and answers on the Direct forum:

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/teksavvy

Within the Teksavvy forum, anyone can post a question and response.  If you have any questions regarding the Teksavvy service, post a question to the Teksavvy forum. 

That is part of a larger forum group which is the Canadian section, and then moves up to the North American group.

https://www.dslreports.com/forums/23

To use a DSL service, you will have to buy a DSL modem.  Maybe they can be rented??  Don't know.  So, food for thought, look at the cost of running a single cable modem, which can supply you with two separate, independent IPV4 and IPV6 WAN addresses.  In this case you need two routers.  

If you sign up for a DSL service, there is probably an installation cost, but don't quote me on that one, and another monthly service fee, and, you either have to buy or maybe rent a modem and possibly buy a router as well.  I don't know if DSL modems are simply modems, or if their a gateway type of modem, similar to your current cable modem.  Thinking aloud, the longer that you run a DSL service, the closer it gets to simply buying two routers to run off of your existing Rogers cable modem.  This also involves what model of routers you might buy to satisfy your requirements.  They don't necessarily have to be the same, or equal in performance, depending on what you're trying to accomplish.  I'm thinking that if there's an installation cost, modem cost and router cost, you're probably better off, "cost-wise", to simply buy two routers to run off of your cable modem. 

Also worth considering, if you're in an apartment in Toronto or vicinity, is fibre service available for you?  Maybe a company such as Beanfield?

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Thank you, Datalink. I'll research this.

Cheers

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Where is 'Accept as solution' on the board?

Good morning @krotenbac!

You can find it along the bottom of each post. It's a blue button that appears alongside Likes, Quick Reply and Reply. 

It appears that the solution was already accepted in this post, so the button disappears.

Regards,

RogersCorey

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Thx, RogersCorey

Were you able to find a workable solution?

krotenbac
I plan to stick around

Looks like TekSavvy with a DSL gateway (or modem + router) will work to get the 2nd Public IP I want. Speed is not an issue, so the cheapest solution will do.

Cheers

phriday_matters
I've been here awhile

you can get a Static IP address from NordVPN ( other VPN providers may offer similar services also ). this would provide you with a second Public IPV4 address.

This is the least expensive way to get a second address without getting a second line.

Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation