*NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: *NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

According to a Tweet from @RogersHelps, the CGN3 modem will work with the Ignite service.

I'm a Senior Contributor

Couple of points here since I started a separate thread yesterday about the new plans.

1. I moved yesterday from HF250 to Ignite 250u. Simple phone call - did NOT have to upgrade modem from CGN3. It works just fine. No change in DL/UL performance. None.

2. I posted the specs yesterday of the CGN3ACR (got it from Rogers) on theis thread:  http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/2302...

It is pretty obvious that the MODEM part of the CGN3/CGN3ACR is the same capability. The newer one adds WiFi AC so if that is important to you, then swap for the new one when you can.

3. For those like me running a separate AC router in bridge mode, I see no need to swap the CGN3 for the CGN3ACR.

4. For those who are complaining about the modem fee no longer being broken out in a separate line, I get it. But depending on the tier you choose, and whether you had unlimited before, the new plan (at least the 250 I have) is still CHEAPER even if I OWNED the modem (I don't - always rent; don't trust them). The HF 250 BEFORE modem rental of $12 was, I think, $91. So yes, if you own your own modem then the new price is 94.99 so yes that is more. But that's not the fairest comparison I think. Since the Ignite 250u is unlimited, you have to compare the unlimited packages. The HF 250 with unlimited was 115.99 before the modem. So even if you own your own modem, you save.

Now of course if you did not have, and don't really need unlimited then yes I see the point. But even though the modem can't be deducted anymore, there is significant additional value in the unlimited packages (for those of us that want/need it). 

Bottom line, it is not the modem rental or non-rental that is the issue as I see it. It is that Rogers is stealthily encouraging us to move up the food chain to higher capacity plans, and making the lure the unlimited for the 100+ plans.

Speaking personally, this is a win-win for me - same package, different name, less money. I am one of the happy campers.

I've Been Here Awhile

When I got my modem today I was told it is included in the plan.

I Plan to Stick Around

The CGN3 works with both 100U and 250U. (I'm running the CGN3 in bridge mode). The new Hitron Router / modem supports 802.11ac. I have my own router that does 80211.ac. I upgraded my internet package to 100U yesterday. Was up and running in 5 minutes.All is well with streaming Netflix and Shomi and, whatever else. Rogers Speedtest consistently at 130+MbpsUL/11+MbpsDL. Sorry should read - 130+MbpsDL/ 11+MbpsUL.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

People complain that Canada/US pays some of the highest prices for internet in the world (vs some other countries).. and i wont argue that..

But at least.. we do get MORE for the $ now..

Looks like the pricing is up now for the 1gbps/50mbps service.
$149.99

Less than 2 years ago... when the 150mbps plan was the highest there was.. it was $150.  Then the 250mbps plan fell in that price range. 

I've Been Around

if I have a 2 year contract till August 2016...uphold my end of the bargain...do my part...face penalties and fees if I don't...that Rogers is able to drop channels and raise prices, etc?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jdtippin wrote:

if I have a 2 year contract till August 2016...uphold my end of the bargain...do my part...face penalties and fees if I don't...that Rogers is able to drop channels and raise prices, etc?

On my two-year contract, at least, what I've seen is that the price listed on the invoice goes up, but so does the discount shown on the next line, so the net result is that you're paying the same as what Rogers committed to... 

I'm a Trusted Contributor

That may be true if you have a discount, but if you don't then yes, you are paying more for less.
I'm Here A Lot

As a Rogers customer in the same home for 21 years, I have heard TOO many times that there are no longer any 'contracts'  The letter that I got in December which said that customers with a 'current price plan' (formerly a contract) would not be paying that extra add on for each service.   I currently have a 'price plan' on my cable and did not see a price increase.  The nomenclature seems to affect who does and who does not get a price increase.  I had been paying more than $60 for my home phone.  Basic with LD (an extra $20 a month)   A clerk at the local store advised me to call because the current price is $20 per month with Canadian LD Unlimited.  Best advice is to constantly check your invoice against the current prices.   I am pleased with the services that I receive from Rogers in comparison to other Service Providers.  I just keep checking that invoice !!   It is the only of my monthly payments which I will not sign up for direct debit.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are most definately 'contracts', if you want them.

You dont have to get a contract.. but you often then will always pay LIST price as per on the site.

But you can then leave/cancel, etc at any time, with no issues.

Getting the contract, often will etitle you to additional discounts.
(Eg: Currently i am on a %25 off phone/net/tv deal, off of the list prices).

SOME of the contracts, do appear to have 'price protection' on them as well.   WIth the last increase, i doesnt appear mine has gone up.

Being on the contracts doesnt always mean you CAN NOT change anything either.  There will be some limiations depending on the contract..  Need to keep the 3 services.. you may have to have a MINIMUM internet 60 plan, etc.  But if a NEW plan comes out which FITS the criteria.. you can switch to it and still retain your contract discounts.