*NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: *NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

@Datalink wrote:

@VivienM,

As I see it, there is no longer any incentive to buy a modem.  Maybe someday, in the not too distant future, that will flip back again.

How ironic. 

I, for the longest time, was opposed to buying modems. Finally in December I break down and buy a CGN3 at BB, figuring that the 24-channel modems were a safe bet for at least a year or two... and now, this. 

'Luckily', I think I am better off with keeping my 150/550 than blowing up all my bundle discounts and going with the 100/unlimited or the 250/unlimited.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

How wonderful to see the Resident Experts becoming a little disenchanted! Now you just might realize how the rest of us feel! Thank you for your very candid and honest comments!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't necessarily say disenchanted, disappointed maybe that I haven't reached the break even point for the modem, but, every person has to consider very carefully whether or not its worth going to the new plan, and keep in mind any deals that you might have running.  As I didn't have any retention deals going there wasn't any reason not to consider switching.  The same plan on the Hybrid scheme, 250 down / 20 up, unlimited with my modem would cost $115.99.  New plan, $94.99 plus a three month $25.00 off promo bringing it down to $69.99.  So, for three months I save $46/month, and thereafter I save $21/month in comparison.  I could be a stick in the mud and say, nope, I'm going to save that $12/month on the modem rental and pay $115.99/month doing it.  Even if you only had the hybrid 250 down / 20 up with your own modem with 500 Gb limit, your cost is currently $90.99, not too far off the new unlimited at $94.99.  So, it really depends on what you are currently running, and how close the price points are.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think each person needs to check and compare.

Its not always best to jump on the NEWEST thing.

For people with NO retentions/discounts otherwise.. there are quite possibly some 'more for the same' type of things.  I dont think it will be always a HUGE amount cheaper (depending on the plans your on), but at least get extra stuff for the same price.

But you need to call and have them compare.

See what the EVERYDAY final price will be on the new bundles for what you want.. and compare that to what your paying now.

------

This post was not ment as an OMG GO CHANGE TO IT NOW! type of thing.

It here, so people are more easily able to compare side by side, the difference between the OLD and NEW stuff.

Good or Bad... thats your call to make.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

So, it really depends on what you are currently running, and how close the price points are.

In my case, I'm at around $75 (it was $73.99 but that should be going up), minus a $15 bundle discount, for the 150/550 flavour. 

The only way in which the new plan might make some sense for me for as long as I still have that 2-year-bundle-discount is the $20 Rogers Home Phone offer... 

I Plan to Stick Around

These Package changes is why I would never buy a modem. Things always change. The new package prices according to the customer care department when I called says no matter if you own the modem or rent it, its the same. modems change so often. I have been with Rogers internet now for 5 years. I have seen so many modems come and go. Any chance of saving money I am going to jump on it. GCL and Shomi are a great value to have in these packages. I assume people are going to get mad as the switch to the hybrid fibre pacakges and now they will need to switch again. Isnt it worth the hold to save money however?

I've Been Here Awhile

how much will it be after the first 3 months ..the package

I'm a Trusted Contributor

It is all on the Website: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet

Just click on "details" to see the pricing after 3 months. Basically, you save $25 for the first 3 months. Also, from what I have read elsewhere, if you currently have a retention deal, you will lose it!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, if you click on the little + it will show the REGULAR prices.

the 30/5 and 60/10 packages.. are $2-3 MORE than their current  hybrid equivelents.
(but, you are gaining about $25 of subscriptions from shomi and GCL)

The 250 package.. is apparently a good $25 cheaper than the hybrid equivelent w/unlimited added on. (plus the subscriptions)

The 100 package is a tossup.  Its SLOWER than before (used to be 150 on hybrid), but you are gaining unlimited.  Its at about the same price as before for it without the unlimted addon.  So its really a trade of less speed, for unlimited. (plus the subscriptions)

But as JohhnyRockets, mentioned... and this is the big thing.

DONT 100% JUST JUMP INTO IT WITHOUT DOING THE RESERCH/ASKING THE QUESTIONS.

At least currently it appears you have to change all your other services to the NEW bundles to change to this internet.

IF you have any retention deals.. other discounts on other services, etc (x% off, etc) you will likely loose them.

IF you are just on regular pricing.. than you should be fine... but still worth them comparing the NEW bundle price vs what you are paying, just to make sure!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

If the only difference in the new modem is that it has 802.11ac then that is a waste for those of us running in bridge mode since we don't care about the router/wifi capabilities.

I never bought a CGN3 since the product is not so great and I always figured they would come out with a better 24 channel modem from a more reputable company like Moto/Arris or Cisco.