*NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: *NEW* Internet Pricing and Plan comparison

Not totally sure about the rental fee, but here is the text from the Rogers website about modem upgrades. It states that the older Wi-Fi modems are "not eligible" for the new packages (last bullet):

Do I need a new modem in order to upgrade my internet package?

You do not need to purchase a modem as a modem rental is included in Rogers Internet packages. However, depending on the Internet package you’ve selected, you may need to change your current modem if you do not have the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem or the Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem. See below for more info.

• ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet packages and bundles include rental of the Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem
    • If you currently have an Advanced Wi-Fi Modem and want to move to a ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet package or bundle, you can change your service right away and you will no longer be billed for modem rental fees. Then, just swap to the upgraded modem at a Rogers store whenever convenient to get the most out of your internet service.
    • Older Wi-Fi Modems are not eligible for use with ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet packages and bundles, so swapping for a Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem will be necessary when you upgrade your internet package
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SF wrote:

Not totally sure about the rental fee, but here is the text from the Rogers website about modem upgrades. It states that the older Wi-Fi modems are "not eligible" for the new packages (last bullet):

Do I need a new modem in order to upgrade my internet package?

You do not need to purchase a modem as a modem rental is included in Rogers Internet packages. However, depending on the Internet package you’ve selected, you may need to change your current modem if you do not have the Advanced Wi-Fi Modem or the Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem. See below for more info.

• ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet packages and bundles include rental of the Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem
    • If you currently have an Advanced Wi-Fi Modem and want to move to a ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet package or bundle, you can change your service right away and you will no longer be billed for modem rental fees. Then, just swap to the upgraded modem at a Rogers store whenever convenient to get the most out of your internet service.
    • Older Wi-Fi Modems are not eligible for use with ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet packages and bundles, so swapping for a Rocket™ Wi-Fi Modem will be necessary when you upgrade your internet package

Yes, but 'Advanced Wi-Fi Modem' means the CGN3. 

'Older Wi-Fi Modems' means everything else, i.e. CGN2, DPC3825, etc. 

So, to me, it sounds like what they're saying is:

- if you have anything other than a CGN3 or CGN4, you need to upgrade to get one of the new packages

- if you have a CGN3, you're fine, but swap to the CGN4 to 'get the most out of your internet service' (i.e. 802.11ac and maybe fewer bugs)

The 'you will no longer be billed for modem rental fees makes me nervous'. Do they really mean no more modem rental line-item? Or do they mean 'you folks on Express/Extreme/etc won't be paying $12/month more than the posted price anymore'?

I'm Here A Lot

Yeah, I agree it's not clear at all (as usual). Hopefully someone who own a CGN3 and calls in to upgrade packages will post their experience.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@SF wrote:

Yeah, I agree it's not clear at all (as usual). Hopefully someone who own a CGN3 and calls in to upgrade packages will post their experience.

I own a CGN3, but frankly, I don't see the point of switching right now.

I have the 150 megabit plan, with the 550GB of bandwidth, plus I'm in months 6-24 of a bundle. If the new plans mean giving up my bundle, even with the absurdly cheap Rogers Home Phone rate now, I think I'd end up paying more... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That would be someone such as myself.  As the CSR explained to me, there is no breakout via line item of the internet service cost and the modem rental cost.  So, if you own your modem, or you rent the modem, the price is the same, $94.99.

I would agree that the statement "If you currently have an Advanced Wi-Fi Modem and want to move to a ROGERS IGNITE™ Internet package or bundle, you can change your service right away and you will no longer be billed for modem rental fees. " is completely ambiguous but seems to be aimed at those customers who were renting the CGN3 prior to the switchover.  For those who own their modem, that statement does nothing, personal opinion.

For anyone looking to go to an unlimited 250 down / 20 up, this is cheaper than the hybrid plans, but, the caveat there is that you have to consider the effect on any other plans or retention deals that you might have going.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Datalink wrote:

That would be someone such as myself.  As the CSR explained to me, there is no breakout via line item of the internet service cost and the modem rental cost.  So, if you own your modem, or you rent the modem, the price is the same, $94.99.

So this is very very very very bad for people who bought CGN3s (including both of us)? 

I admit that this really surprises me - I figured our bought CGN3s would eventually become unsupported when something else required 72-channel DOCSIS 4.3 modems in a few years, but... destroying the financial incentive for owning a CGN3 with the new plans?!?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I am reading where the new designated modem is the CGN3ACR. It is also listed here. People on other forums are also posting that the new plans cannot be purchased without getting the new CGN3ACR. Just typical of Rogers - the customer comes last. It does not matter what you purchased last year or last month - we want you on our new plan and the most expensive one at that! Oh - and get yourself a new modem to boot!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@JohhnyRockets wrote:

I am reading where the new designated modem is the CGN3ACR. It is also listed here. People on other forums are also posting that the new plans cannot be purchased without getting the new CGN3ACR. Just typical of Rogers - the customer comes last. It does not matter what you purchased last year or last month - we want you on our new plan and the most expensive one at that! Oh - and get yourself a new modem to boot!

CGN3ACR? How is that different from the CGN4 displayed on Hitron's site?

I have defended Rogers' modem policies in the past, e.g. requiring 24-channel modems for certain things. But if this new thing is just a CGN3 with 802.11ac, then I don't get it - there is no technical reason why this would matter... 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@VivienM,

As I see it, there is no longer any incentive to buy a modem.  Maybe someday, in the not too distant future, that will flip back again.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Not sure, just that it is listed under the link I provided on the Rogers page as the CGN3ACR. Perhaps Rogers can answer your question!