NAS not visible on CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: NAS not visible on CGN3

Can I open a port that appears to be closed for FTP access to a NAS?

Hey all - hope someone out there can help - thanks in advance for having a read of this post.

I'm running with the CGN3 modem in Gateway mode and using the internal router. I have an existing WD NAS unit set up on port 21 to allow FTP access from within and outside my local network. I recently acquired another WD NAS device and want to set it up for FTP as well. 

My understanding is that ports 20 and 21 are typically used for FTP services, and that you cannot use the same port for two devices, hence why I'd like to use port 20 for the new NAS. 

However, it appears that port 20 is 'closed'. Is this just an issue with setting up port forwarding, as I've tried that for hours and have had no luck. The support team from the NAS manufacturer indicates that I can run the two FTP servers on port 20 and 21 respectively, but only if I can get port 20 'open'.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Brian.

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Brian78

Welcome to the Community Forums and thank you for posting! Smiley Happy

You've come to the right place with your questions and concerns with your modem. This sounds like something one of our Resident Experts would be able to provide some insight on, @Datalink @Gdkitty?

RogersPrasana

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, 20 is one of those reserved ports on the modem.

Is there any option of setting the ftp port on the NAS? As ftp can be done on any port.
I have one I turn on occasionally. And run it on 99

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply. I'm pretty sure port 99 is closed / locked too. That said I'm pretty sure the Nas can allow me to specify the port so I'll try 99 when I get home from work later. Will keep you posted.