NAS not visible on CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

NAS not visible on CGN3

I recently upgraded to the Rogers 100u service and received a new Hitron CGN3. I had my previous modem in bridge mode connected to an ASUS RT-N56U however I find the wireless coverage of the Hitron to be superior in my home. Everything seems to be working more or less ok except for my NAS.

I have an old DLink DNS-323 NAS on my network that was working fine with my previous modem. It is a wired gigabit connection. Plugging into the back of the CGN3 the amber light on the port lights up and starts flashing, likewise the network activity light on the NAS starts flashing. However, I cannot see the NAS on my network. Logging into the CGN3 the NAS does not show up as a connected device (no IP being assigned?). I have tried rebooting both the NAS and CGN3 but still no conection. If I attach my wired network printer to the CGN3 it works, shows up as a connected device on the CGN3 and is visible on my network from my PC - so the LAN ports on the CGN3 seem to be functioning.

Any ideas?

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: NAS not visible on CGN3

Hmm.

My first thought.. might be it had a STATIC address maybe assigned to it?  And was in a different range?

Say, if it has a 192.168.1.xxx address before... and now your networks is say set up as 192.168.0.xxx
It wont be seeing it.

I dont know if there is a way to do a networking reset on that device, without possibly wiping any other data, etc.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm.

My first thought.. might be it had a STATIC address maybe assigned to it?  And was in a different range?

Say, if it has a 192.168.1.xxx address before... and now your networks is say set up as 192.168.0.xxx
It wont be seeing it.

I dont know if there is a way to do a networking reset on that device, without possibly wiping any other data, etc.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have a lot of networking expertise, but isn't the IP address assigned by the router? Is it somehow hard written to the NAS? I'm not sure how to reset it without losing data.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on how it was setup. 
It can be automatically, but also can be set up as a set address.

I can't easily today, but if i get a chance tomorrow, i will see what i can find on that particular one, if there is a way.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I switched the modem to bridge mode and setup my ASUS router. I could then see my NAS again and was able to login and confirm that I had in fact setup a static IP/Gateway. Thanks!
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have a look at the setup instructions for the NAS and see if you can switch it back to an automatic mode for the IP address.  What you can then do is switch back to the Hitron modem and set another static IP address, this time in the Hiton modem.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I concur.

Go in, and take a peek in the setting there, if you can set it back to dynamic.

Since you found the range better on the new gateway itself.. then you can just UN bridge it (hold the reset for a good 30 seconds, will do a factory reset).
It will get an assigned address from the gatway.

From there, you should be able to find it.. and then find its dynamic assigned address.

TECHNICALLY you could leave it this way..  But depending on how things connect to it... if the address changes, could cause issues.. take things longer as it searches for it again, etc.

I would then go back in, and set it back to a static address.. in the ranges of the addresses supplied from the gateway.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

An alternative to using static ip's is to use IP reservation in the router.   The benefit of having a static ip is to always know the ip doesn't change and you can log into the device consistently for the admin screen, etc.   IP reservation achieves the same thing but doesn't cause the problem stated above.   You device (NAS) just uses DHCP standard config.      

It's been a while since I've used the CGN3 as a gateway (I always use mine in bridge mode with my own router - also an ASUS RT-N56U).   As I recall the CGN3 had the ip reservation feature, in the LAN section.  

You need to know the MAC address of your device (NAS in this case).   It should be on the device somewhere, or can be found thru the listing on the CGN3 possibly (my memory is fading on how the feature worked).

You then choose the ip address you want (within the range of the router IP range defined) along with the MAC address and save that config and you will then have a consistent IP for that device.   The CGN3 will not assign that IP address to any other device on the network.

I also recommend that when you make changes to yoru router config, that you save the config file to one of your attached computers in case you lose that config in the future (after a factory reset on the CGN3 for instance) you can just reload it and get it all back.  

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Has anybody successfully setup their USB storage as NAS?

I wanted to see if this is possible on Hitron modems to setup the USB storage as NAS and be able to access it from outside (anywhere). I have already set up the Dynamic DNS and have a domain. But when I enter the domain it goes into ussual Hitron Login. I need to access the USB from a direct address (just like when you do it in local access).

Is it possible?

Thanks,

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That i am aware of, no, its not accessible from outside.

Most NASs which allow outside access, do so via a web or similar other interface on the NAS itself, which you then often have to set up port forwarding, etc for.