cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS drive for ignite modem

David378
I plan to stick around

Hello all

Very green when it comes to NAS drives ..... simple question..... what NAS drive is recommended to work with my ignite modem?....

Is it fairly simple to set up....I am rather tech savvy ....just not familiar with these drives ....

Cheers thanks

**Added Labels**

4 REPLIES 4

Re: NAS drive for ignite modem

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@David378 wrote:

Hello all

Very green when it comes to NAS drives ..... simple question..... what NAS drive is recommended to work with my ignite modem?....

Is it fairly simple to set up....I am rather tech savvy ....just not familiar with these drives ....

Cheers thanks

**Added Labels**

Presumably ANY ethernet NAS drive should work.

I am partial to western digital, myself.  I have a 4-gB  "MyCloud" for many years now... although it is being run off my own router, with the Ignite modem being "bridged".

In my family's experience, the WD drives lasted better than others, but who knows these days.  Everybody has bought out everybody, and manufacture moves all over the place.

ColdGranite
I'm a senior contributor

@ColdGranite wrote:

I am partial to western digital, myself.  I have a 4-gB  "MyCloud" for many years now...

***Too late to edit***

Of course that should read:  4-Tb  four terra-byte...

i have a Buffalo nas LS 210 and a LS220.  They work terrific with bell routers (i update my bell router 3 or more times, from the 2000, 3000, and the newest one.   But when i try it on Rogers TG4482 router, it doesn't work, somehow the port forwarding is blocked by the router.  The only way i got it to work is use the Upnp mode on my nas, but any power interruption and i have to reset my nas to make it work,  not only power interuption, but it doesn't work after some many hours, usually no more than 24 hrs.  and resetting the Nas will make it work again, for another 5 to 10 hours or so.  I look up the problem online and the only solution is that bridging the router will work, but, its too complicated for me, I have to have another router, it will only work for one nas, and roger will not touch it if any problem arises.  I have contect Roger if they can recommend which nas will work with the TG4482 and they cannot recomment one, which is kinda strange.  They told me to ask Best Buy.   maybe i may try that or just go back to bell, i bet i can put a dozen nas with their router at the same time with no problem whatever.

DAJ3
I plan to stick around

I have an older WD "My Cloud" drive that is connected to the Rogers modem via ethernet. No configuration was required as far as I remember. Power outages and/or internet connections being dropped do not affect anything.

At one point, when I discovered that the WD drive could no longer be used while connected via WiFi, I looked into alternate NAS drives. From memory, I noticed that there were issues with nearly all of the big vendors: you may want to review the specs and the user comments carefully before buying.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation